Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't know why everyone has a problem........

Banned User

Aaland

I don't know why everyone has a problem........

Grimes decision to use the horse, and why everyone thinks this show is overrated.

First, he's out of gas, he's exhausted all options. He see's the horse, has some experience with the horse, maybe a little rusty, but nonetheless comfortable. Complain all you want about the way Darabont set up the mob zombie scene, but Grimes reacted like a normal human being under duress. He was over-come with a horde. Yes he was warned by the black guy that in groups they are dangerous, but he only had experience with a walker here and there. As far as he was concerned there were human beings in Atlanta. I don't care how much training he had as an officer, this was a new world that he in a coma when it went down. This was a threat that was a greater force. What was he supposed to to, pull off the 200 plus walkers one at a time off the horse while he was surrounded. No! He did what any normal being who loves animals would do, try the best he can to survive a swarm that had blanketed him and the horse in seconds. No way no how, this was as realistic as it gets for a human being. I think most of you were expecting Rambo to save the day, no way, Darabont know what works.

And as far as being overrated, can't see that either. Just thank your lucky stars that Darabont is presenting us a world with the general rules with something extra and with great character driven development and horror. Thank your lucky stars this is not based on "Return of the Living Dead" or something worse. Darabont is giving us something we waited our whole lives for on American television that we will probably never get again. We are lucky that this genre is finally presented with some respect, and it's because of Kirkman and Darabont. Thanks guys. I see nothing overrated at all.
    Just my thoughts......

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A. Not everyone has a problem with these things.

B. I hope you like worms. You just opened a whole can of em.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Nov-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: .

United States
    All good points. Not everyone feels that same on either of those topics. I just think that voices that try to be moderate get misunderstood &/or lost in all the back-&-forth of opinions. Besides, it's the internet:

Dying

United States
    The only reason I believe the show is overrated is because some people are basically touting it as the second coming of Christ (which, given the whole 'rising from the dead' thing...). It is a fantastic show, the best new show on television in years (probably since Dexter debuted), but it isn't the greatest achievement in the history of television, entertainment and mankind all rolled into one.

As for the horse and its untimely death, well, speaking for myself, yeah, I'm letting the horse die if it gives me a chance to get the hell out of there. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have doused it in barbecue sauce first on the off chance that would gain the interest of even more zombies. For everyone complaining about it, if the roles were reversed do you think that the horse would go all ninja on the zombies to get them off of Rick? It's the zombie apocalypse; survival of the fittest isn't a theory, it's a requirement.

England
    We over analyze this stuff cause we love it. The comic has to be followed though and there will be some WTF scenes but imagine the outcry if iconic moments from the book were ignored.
    Besides, Rick lied to that horse goddamit. He promised him food, shelter and other horses and look what happened. Poor fella.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    The only reason I believe the show is overrated is because some people are basically touting it as the second coming of Christ (which, given the whole 'rising from the dead' thing...). It is a fantastic show, the best new show on television in years (probably since Dexter debuted), but it isn't the greatest achievement in the history of television, entertainment and mankind all rolled into one.

As for the horse and its untimely death, well, speaking for myself, yeah, I'm letting the horse die if it gives me a chance to get the hell out of there. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have doused it in barbecue sauce first on the off chance that would gain the interest of even more zombies. For everyone complaining about it, if the roles were reversed do you think that the horse would go all ninja on the zombies to get them off of Rick? It's the zombie apocalypse; survival of the fittest isn't a theory, it's a requirement.
    /thread.

United Kingdom
    I'm not even gonna over analyse it, it's friggin' awesome, end of.
    Kill 'em All

Administrator

England
    A few of ricks decisions i dont think i would of made myself in that situation, but that dosnt mean i dont understand his reasoning, it stuck to the original story well.

Banned User

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    A few of ricks decisions i dont think i would of made myself in that situation, but that dosnt mean i dont understand his reasoning, it stuck to the original story well.

Kind of my point in a way. We are all different and we all handle extremely difficult predicaments differently, so just imagine how many different ways any human being would handle oneself under the zombie taking over the world holocaust.
    There is no right way. At least Darabont didn't have Grimes going across the parking lot of an infested zombie army trying to save a dog cough*dawn04*cough

Undisclosed
    I thought it was clever how they satisfied both the running and the shambling fans by showing the aggroed horde scenes in slow motion.

I like the show because recently all of the zombie movies (with the exception
    of Romero's) have been targeted to the high school crowd. Like the steaming
    pile of turds known as ROTLD: Rave to the Grave with no plot, stupid
    stereotypical characters, and crap special effects.

England
    It's very easy for us to sit here and make cold, calculated, rational dicisions with our "viewers/readers eye view" we aren't the folks being thrown into arma-freaking-geddon.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    My main problem with the horse hinges on the contention that he was actually out of gas options. I can't buy that. There was a pickup truck literally right there. He didn't check it. I don't believe he couldn't find gas along the way. Heck, pull into any residential area and start opening garage doors. You may be able to argue that the cars on the highways were out, and the filling stations were dry, but not cars in people's garages. If Grimes believed that riding a horse into Atlanta was safe enough, then surely he wasn't scared of moving about in any of the small towns between him and Atlanta. I mean, the radio alone was worth the cost of finding gas.

Once he's on the horse I am kinda okay with it. Not exactly okay. But not enough to get uptight. I thought the mobbing scene was contrived, but whatever. I really enjoyed his "everyman" feel. It woulda been just as contrived had he been a Rambo. So that part I'm totally good with.

And I agree with kidgloves... it's only being called overrated when the rating is "OMG this is so the best thing evah."
    Last edited by Trin; 07-Nov-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: cuz
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Banned User

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    My main problem with the horse hinges on the contention that he was actually out of gas options. I can't buy that. There was a pickup truck literally right there. He didn't check it. I don't believe he couldn't find gas along the way. Heck, pull into any residential area and start opening garage doors. You may be able to argue that the cars on the highways were out, and the filling stations were dry, but not cars in people's garages. If Grimes believed that riding a horse into Atlanta was safe enough, then surely he wasn't scared of moving about in any of the small towns between him and Atlanta. I mean, the radio alone was worth the cost of finding gas.

Once he's on the horse I am kinda okay with it. Not exactly okay. But not enough to get uptight. I thought the mobbing scene was contrived, but whatever. I really enjoyed his "everyman" feel. It woulda been just as contrived had he been a Rambo.
    So that part I'm totally good with.
    And I agree with kidgloves... it's only being called overrated when the rating is "OMG this is so the best thing evah."
    I think Darabont just didn't want to overspend minutes of him searching for gas, I think he wanted us to believe he's been searching for gasoline all along up until that point. And as far as gas being readily available. I'm not buying that point or argument. Imagine the panic, imagine the disorder, imagine the chaos. Even though there was no place to escape, people trying to survive would have brought the one commodity along with them......gas. Extra gas. Just take a look at all those cars attempting to escape out of the city.

Aaland
    I'm pretty sure he could of siphoned gas out of an abandoned vehicle, i've yet to see that come out of some ones post yet. Not that hard at all, if not siphoning gas with a hose then crawl under the car and puncture the gas tank and put something underneath to catch the fuel. Not really rocket science.
    Last edited by White_Zombie; 07-Nov-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: 1

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Unless perhaps your rocket is fueled by gasoline...
    Anyhow, yeah, I don't see where all the fuss about the horse comes from. He likes horses! Some people just do, okay? He's probably lonely too, and it makes a good companion. But yeah, sad about old Eddy (I'm naming the horse Eddy) going out like that... shame.