Thread: The Walking Dead "rules" *SPOILERS*

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

The Walking Dead "rules" *SPOILERS*

Just saw episode 4 last night. It was awesome, the best since the debut imo. Loved the brutal zombie attack at the end.

I was thinking, they have not made clear yet (and neither has volume 1 or 2 of the comic) if anybody who dies reanimates or if they need to be bitten first. Obviously the holocaust is more believable if it goes by Romero rules "every dead body that is not exterminated.."

It would have been sweet if in the hospital scene a recently deceased due to natural causes needed to be exterminated to drive this point home. It could have been done with some heart wrenching drama too.

Furthermore, the girl who was chewed to death at the end wasn't even shot in the head to prevent her from coming back! That better happen as soon as episode 5 starts or I'm going to be really scratching my head!

England
    Everybody is infected. You just have to die to turn. Getting bit just speeds up the process. At least that's the rules in the comic anyway.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Everybody is infected. You just have to die to turn. Getting bit just speeds up the process. At least that's the rules in the comic anyway.
    If people are already infected then why does a bite, even a relatively minor one on the arm, mean certain death?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anyone who dies comes back. And we'll see that in episode 5. The "next week" preview clip clearly shows it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Anyone who dies comes back. And we'll see that in episode 5. The "next week" preview clip clearly shows it.
    Those rules would be the most "logical" given the scenario. It has always seemed implusible to me that shamblers could take over the world. Then if you add the element of only those who get bit turn it becomes even more implausible, imo.

The dead shouldn't be able to overun the military,etc. However, when thrown the curveball ofanyone who dies turns now it's a much more out of control, unpredictable situation.

People can fathom getting bit by a ghoul and turning, but when they have their wife or mom just die due to natural causes and turn then it's much harder to see them as a canabalistic creature (Yes, I remember What Dr. Rousche said) and maybe just as sick.

If they see their loved ones as just sick then they would want to protect them from those that would do them harm and try and find a cure for their condition, alot like the people of plum and building 107 did.

So we have the ranks of the undead being replenished and even multiplied on a daily basis coupled with the refusal of many citizens to do what needs to be done due to issues of sentimentality and morality and society falling to the ghouls seems much more plausible, imo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Just saw episode 4 last night. It was awesome, the best since the debut imo. Loved the brutal zombie attack at the end.

I was thinking, they have not made clear yet (and neither has volume 1 or 2 of the comic) if anybody who dies reanimates or if they need to be bitten first. Obviously the holocaust is more believable if it goes by Romero rules "every dead body that is not exterminated.."

It would have been sweet if in the hospital scene a recently deceased due to natural causes needed to be exterminated to drive this point home. It could have been done with some heart wrenching drama too.

Furthermore, the girl who was chewed to death at the end wasn't even shot in the head to prevent her from coming back! That better happen as soon as episode 5 starts or I'm going to be really scratching my head!

I don't think the survivors are really that clued up yet, or that desensitised to massive acts of violence and mutilation (pretty hard to go smashing somebody's head in while their sister is crying over the body).

But, yep, they are gonna have to wise up PDQ, as there are several fresh dead folk lying around their camp.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 24-Nov-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spoiler nazi's!!! :D
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    (pretty hard to go smashing somebody's head in while ..........).
    You should probably spoiler tag that for the people over there waiting for the broadcast. (I know the thread is marked spoilers...but ya know...)

They know well enough what needs to be done when someone dies. If you look at the Episode 5 preview clip in the Trailers/Clips thread, you see that the people at the camp want to...

put a round in Amy's head, but Andrea won't allow it. We also see Daryl putting a pick axe through other heads to insure they don't come back.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Nov-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: .

England
    Not sure what happened there... :/
    Last edited by Legion2213; 24-Nov-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Those rules would be the most "logical" given the scenario. It has always seemed implusible to me that shamblers could take over the world. Then if you add the element of only those who get bit turn it becomes even more implausible, imo.

The dead shouldn't be able to overun the military,etc. However, when thrown the curveball ofanyone who dies turns now it's a much more out of control, unpredictable situation.

People can fathom getting bit by a ghoul and turning, but when they have their wife or mom just die due to natural causes and turn then it's much harder to see them as a canabalistic creature (Yes, I remember What Dr. Rousche said) and maybe just as sick.

If they see their loved ones as just sick then they would want to protect them from those that would do them harm and try and find a cure for their condition, alot like the people of plum and building 107 did.

So we have the ranks of the undead being replenished and even multiplied on a daily basis coupled with the refusal of many citizens to do what needs to be done due to issues of sentimentality and morality and society falling to the ghouls seems much more plausible, imo.

Good post. Re: plague only spreading through bites, I totally agree and that's my only problem with WWZ. Furthermore, to really ramp up the danger, if someone was bit they should die and turn within moments instead of it taking several days, where there would be plenty of time to prepare/avoid the resurrection.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

The dead shouldn't be able to overun the military,etc.
    http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yonkers

Thoughts on that epic??

England
    Yonkers was an epic fuck up...MOP gear in the heat of summer, digging trenches, mainly AP rounds for the tanks, no snipers on roof tops, terrible leadership and a piss poor battle plan.

Darth Los probably should have said "competent military".

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Yonkers was an epic fuck up...MOP gear in the heat of summer, digging trenches, mainly AP rounds for the tanks, no snipers on roof tops, terrible leadership and a piss poor battle plan.

Darth Los probably should have said "competent military".
    Competant military.

There I said it!

If the military was anything like rhodes and his men then it's no wonder it went down the way it did.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    Competant military.

There I said it!

If the military was anything like rhodes and his men then it's no wonder it went down the way it did.

*mental image of the top brass abandoning the battle in little golf carts*

Undisclosed
    If someone was clinically dead from drowning or heart stoppage but is brought back to life at the same time as turning, could they become a hybrid? Like being able to talk but not attacked by zombies?

Canada
    Yonkers doesn't count because Brooks HAD to make the military fucking stupid for the zombies to win.