Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD: Racist and Dumb

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

TWD: Racist and Dumb

Thought this was worth a laugh. A few truths sprinkled in there, though...

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/ks...mb-characters/

Let’s be clear about one thing: George Romero is a hack whose movies have gotten steadily worse over the years. His latest films are literally unwatchable – Land of the Dead is one of the stupidest, most boring movies not starring Ashton Kutcher. Its follow-ups are, astonishingly, even worse.

United States
    Couple thoughts:

Romero isn't a hack.

And the follow-ups to "Land" weren't worse than "Land".

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's all opinion of course. I just thought it was funny how serious he took it all...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i still dont understand how thry can call a genre originator a "hack"

United States
    Agree he's not a hack. I'm not sure what term applies. It's not a complimentary one. But "hack" isn't it.

And, yes, the follow-ups to Land were worse than Land. Very, very worse. Enough so that I find Land quite watchable now. Fire extinguisher zombie, flare gun zombie, acid face zombie, sickle through own head zombie... those things are giving Contagium a run.

The article is a little hard on Romero, but I also have a hard time really disagreeing with any of it. I believe Night and Dawn were more than luck, as he contends, but I agree with most of his sentiments. Especially the social commentary aspects. He avoids discussing Day, which I find odd. I'm not sure how you lump Day into a hack's body of work.

His thoughts on Dawn 2004 are absurd. He's got some rose-colored glasses going if he thinks those buffoons were intelligent characters making good choices. But alas...

The article really hits TWD squarely. I agree with virtually everything he says, although I disagree that the show is not good in general.

He's covering a lot of the nit-picky stuff we have here. And he puts it very well that the nit-picky stuff is distracting to the suspension of disbelief, and should not be covered under the suspension of disbelief. Bravo for him knowing the difference and calling TWD on it.

I don't think he gave Daryl a fair appraisal, but then it doesn't sound like he's up to date with the current episode.
    Last edited by Trin; 27-Nov-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: I read the article
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post

And, yes, the follow-ups to Land were worse than Land. Very, very worse. Enough so that I find Land quite watchable now.

Fire extinguisher zombie, flare gun zombie, acid face zombie, sickle through own head zombie... those things are giving Contagium a run.
    I was thinking of "Diary" as being much better than "Land" -- but, you're right, "Survival" is probably on equal pairing with "Land" -- it does suck. Actually, even though Gary and Andy may argue with me here, I thought "Survival" was possibly a little worse than "Land" (and I hate "Land"). Dennis Hopper (R.I.P.) was redeemable and somewhat interesting in "Land" -- "Survival" didn't have a single character I really gave a shit about.

What "Survival" didn't have was Big Daddy. But zombies on horseback are almost as bad.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 27-Nov-2010 at 04:21 AM. Reason: yes
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Undisclosed
    Bah. Movie and t.v. "critics" are just arrogant loudmouths that self-appointed themselves as judge to what is good and what is bad for everyone else. They are no different than those annoying mofos in highschool that would go around trashing people for not wearing the latest in fashion clothes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As I had figured....All the fun has been sucked out of this thread....

Please continue...

Ireland
    Have to say. Kind of agree with a lot of what he says.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Let’s be clear about one thing: George Romero is a hack whose movies have gotten steadily worse over the years. His latest films are literally unwatchable – Land of the Dead is one of the stupidest, most boring movies not starring Ashton Kutcher. Its follow-ups are, astonishingly, even worse.
    Before i even click the link, i like this guy. He speaks alot of truth.

EDIT - Ok ive read it all now, and my fondness for the guy has dropped, he's spot on about romero but when he's talking about TWD, he strikes me as right but for an outsider, not a deadhead or even a fan of the comics, he has a few good points (the inclusion of a redneck stereotype) but i think he's missed far more.

United States
    land was NOT bad. and TWD is what it is. a show.
    although i disagree, i can see how ppl could not like the last 2 outings, but land is more polished, more big screen. ppl here bitch and whine too much.

Administrator

England
    Polished and big screen isnt everything and is generally more of a negative than a positive with zombie movies, and land gets a hell of alot wrong. Give me curse of the cannibal confederates or zombie lake over land anytime.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can't believe the guy didn't even mention Day. Probably because it's more about the people, so it's not a zombie movie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Polished and big screen isnt everything and is generally more of a negative than a positive with zombie movies, and land gets a hell of alot wrong. Give me curse of the cannibal confederates or zombie lake over land anytime.
    ever seen redneck zombies? sorry, but i like bigtime FX. don't get me wrong, i love dawn. but it's time to move on up, Mr. Jefferson. while i can deal with people hating on the two new ones, land ain't such a bad deal. sure, it has its faults, but dayumn, it is above par with TWD. i love that show, too, but it has alot of inconsistencies...

Super Moderator

United States
    The guy makes some decent points about TWD, but overstates his case and blows it a bit out proportion, in my opinion.

He's way off base on GAR, though I think he'd have been fair to simply point out how his recent efforts pale so.

Over all, internet hyperbole run amuck.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany