Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I really love this show. But...

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

Ok, I really love this show. But...

Am I the only one who is kinda disappointed that they don't follow the storylines of the comics? I get the Trade Paperbacks (from the place Andrew Lincoln did his research for the show) and so far, i haven't seen that much that goes along side the tv series. Am I wrong?

Undisclosed
    I think you're not entirely wrong. It has followed the comics fairly faithfully but has changed a little bit of stuff up (not seeing a zombie until Rick gets out of the hospitol, the return to the city to get guns, covering themselves in guts, the exclusion of Allen, Donna & sons Billy and Ben, not killing Shane before leaving the camp etc) and of course they have added some things to the story that were not in the comics (Daryl & Merle, Vato's & CDC arcs etc). All in all the first 6 episodes of the show has had pretty good pacing and has still only managed to take us through the the first six or so issues of the comic, the point where the group leaves the camp. With the exception of the Vato's arc I am incredibly pleased with this series and really dig most of the new additions and believe it does not detract from Kirkman's great story and does manage to keep the show fresh for the diehards out there (myself included). And what better proof of these points than the new badass character Daryl who is, next to Rick, my favorite character in this series and Merle, who Kirkman has said will work him into the comics. Anyway, to each his own, I can certainly respect folks who don't like the inclusion of all the additional scenes and characters. Peace.
    Last edited by Ghoulman; 18-May-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: duplicate verbage
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

United States
    Eh, I was a bit surprised, but not 100% disappointed, that they wandered a bit off the reservation. I think they struck a nice balance between following the comics for the most part enough the still be regarded as "faithful" while still throwing in enough new elements to keep die hard fans guessing as well.

United States
    Wouldn't it be boring if they just did the exact same story as the comics though? If you've read the comics (I've read some of them, but I just can't get into graphic novels at all) wouldn't you find it drab to just see the same story told exactly the same way without any changes/add-in's/additions?

Personally, I would have held it against the show if they had left Atlanta without anyone posing: "Hey guys, isn't the CDC here in Atlanta?" and go from there.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    I think they have found a great balance between following the comic and adding new ideas

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    Am I the only one who is kinda disappointed that they don't follow the storylines of the comics?
    No. You're not.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 25-May-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Eh, I was a bit surprised, but not 100% disappointed, that they wandered a bit off the reservation. I think they struck a nice balance between following the comics for the most part enough the still be regarded as "faithful" while still throwing in enough new elements to keep die hard fans guessing as well.
    Agreed. It was nice to have surprises. A frame-by-frame translation, while i'm sure interesting, would grow old after a short period of time. You would always be one step ahead of the characters rather than living the experience with them.

I actually fail to see how its that much different from the comic series. With the exception of the CDC episode, which was a great way to end the short season, the rest of the show followed the comics quite closely. Even improving in some areas like Morgan and Duane.

UK
    I'm sure it goes for fans of any film/TV franchise, but sometimes they have a tendency to talk themselves out of liking something because it's a little different from what they expect/want. Just enjoy it for what it is – a damn good TV show – with zombies! (shamblers to boot!). Rather than what it isn't. As others have basically said, a comic is a comic, a TV show is a TV show – two completely different ways of telling a story so there has to be some sort adaptation done on some level just to make it work. The only other option is to film each panel of the comic book and add sound effects to it, sure you'll get a faithful recreation but it'd be boring as hell to watch!

Super Moderator

United States
    I think they've struck a decent balance. The main, albeit little, problems I've had were mainly to do with scripting and direction and I don't even think they've had all that much trouble there, just a bit uneven.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    I'm sure it goes for fans of any film/TV franchise, but sometimes they have a tendency to talk themselves out of liking something because it's a little different from what they expect/want.
    There's just no pleasin' some folks.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 25-May-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Fizbin

England
    I'd have been bored silly if i knew every twist and turn. Its bad enough as it is. I really regret having read the comics now although who was to know it would be a tv show years later
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Ha, another time I guess I can say I didn't read the source material. I was just stoked that they had a good FX quality weekly show on about zombies. I will say I didn't like the rubbing guts on themselves and shambling through the zombies part. I would think they would just know you ain't one of them, regardless of what you do to mask it. They always even seem to find where you're hiding. Forget smelling you, they just KNOW...
    So, hey, it doesn't bother me they're veering off a little then. Take your time, get oodles of seasons out of this.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I'd have been bored silly if i knew every twist and turn. Its bad enough as it is. I really regret having read the comics now although who was to know it would be a tv show years later
    Um...I don't really buy this concept to be honest. No offence Kid.

First of all the Kirkman story is miles ahead of what has been written so far in the TV show and the comic characters have been much better than some of the cliches on offer from the screenwriters. Also, 'Game of Thrones' seems to be following the books to a very tight degree and that hasn't put fans off in any way. My creepy Sci-Fi Fantasy buddies LOVE it! Normal people...er...like me love it too!

Personally speaking, I would have prefered if the producers had stuck closer to Kirkman's excellent original. The odd deviation is perfectly fine and even new or composite characters are ok (provded they are well written), but the TV show is almost a completely different story. I understand completely the restraints of having to turn in a (hopefully) hit show in just 6 episodes, but I still think that the TV show (while good and I do like it) is greatly weaker than the comic. Well, so far anyway. Which, I accept, maybe a little harsh giving it's very short first run.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Personally speaking, I would have prefered if the producers had stuck closer to Kirkman's excellent original. The odd deviation is perfectly fine and even new or composite characters are ok (provded they are well written), but the TV show is almost a completely different story. I understand completely the restraints of having to turn in a (hopefully) hit show in just 6 episodes, but I still think that the TV show (while good and I do like it) is greatly weaker than the comic. Well, so far anyway. Which, I accept, maybe a little harsh giving it's very short first run.
    I can agree with this summation. Hopefully they will up their game in the next season, but I have a feeling we will see a lot of composite storylines, which would be okay by me if they craft a taut script, but I expect uneven scripting and direction, per the 1st season. I expect, however that it'll still be miles ahead of any zombie movie I've seen lately.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    My creepy Sci-Fi Fantasy buddies LOVE it! Normal people...er...like me love it too!

No mention of horror or zombies, so you are good to go.