Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Am Legend Prequel/Sequel

Administrator

England

I Am Legend Prequel/Sequel

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Smith...uel-29495.html

Watching the end of I Am Legend you question the possibility of a sequel. After all, the film ends with Will Smith, the movie's biggest star, blowing himself up with a bunch of zombie/vampires while the two supporting characters, played by Alice Braga and Charlie Tahan, survive and make it to the survivor's colony. Apparently that ending isn't stopping Warner Bros. from moving forward with a sequel, though.
    Personally speaking, let's hope they can f*** up a perfectly good idea less this time with stupid over-the-top CGI infected!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Super Moderator

United States
    I'd just rather they didn't even bother to try their hand at a follow up.

Really wasted potential in the first flick. There's some okay parts to the film, but I don't think I'll ever re-watch the whole of the film again in one sitting. I can't say I won't leave it on for a few minutes at certain points if I happen across a showing, though.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    if there is any integrity left in hollywood, someone with some sense will burn the master print and negatives of this and it'll never reach the screen.

the first movie utterly trashed one of the greatest pieces of horror fiction ever. i can't even imagine what floating turd of a movie will be shat out this time.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    Can they just make 'I am Legend' properly?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Can they just make 'I am Legend' properly?
    they did. in 1964. that is still the best and closest to the book version to come along yet.

it's the only one to even come close on the family and the reason(s) that Neville is damned and is, in my view, the villian of the piece.
    f*ck i might have opened a can of worms there.
    Last edited by Mike70; 17-Feb-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: d

United States
    "He brangin back e'body."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    if there is any integrity left in hollywood, someone with some sense will burn the master print and negatives of this and it'll never reach the screen.

the first movie utterly trashed one of the greatest pieces of horror fiction ever. i can't even imagine what floating turd of a movie will be shat out this time.
    ^This.

they did. in 1964. that is still the best and closest to the book version to come along yet.

it's the only one to even come close on the family and the reason(s) that Neville is damned and is, in my view, the villian of the piece.
    Nope. You're right. "Last Man On Earth" = far & away the closest. Really the only major difference is the ending, & in some ways it's not too far off, in tone & concept anyway.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Neville is damned and is, in my view, the villian of the piece.
    Neville was the monster. I Am Legend is a monster story told from the monsters point of view. Like most monsters, he doesn't realize that he is the bad guy.

The original ending of Will Smiths I Am Legend touches on that theme but audiences didn't like it so we got the grenade ending instead.

I actually liked Will Smiths I Am Legend. It was it's own story. I'm not expecting or care if Hollywood adaptation to stick very closely to the source material. They are what they are and getting butthurt over it is a waste of time. It's not like the book was a masterpiece anyway.
    Last edited by Christopher Jon; 18-Feb-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: e

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Neville was the monster. I Am Legend is a monster story told from the monsters point of view. Like most monsters, he doesn't realize that he is the bad guy.
    indeed. the last page or so of "I am Legend" when Neville has his epiphany about being the monster is one of the most powerful pieces of writing in any genre. rarely does a horror novella rise to that level of literature.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    indeed. the last page or so of "I am Legend" when Neville has his epiphany about being the monster is one of the most powerful pieces of writing in any genre. rarely does a horror novella rise to that level of literature.
    It's that twist that elevates the story. Without it, it would be just another post-apocalyptic monster story. Maybe Freddie Kruger and Jason Voorhees aren't such bad guys, just misunderstood.

Ireland

Aye, the Vincent Price one isn't bad, but I'd really like a good update of the book.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Aye, the Vincent Price one isn't bad, but I'd really like a good update of the book.
    i would too but i have serious doubts about todays hollywood being able to expose their main character/hero for most of the movie as the bad guy. that makes people in expensive suits very nervous over here.
    Last edited by Mike70; 18-Feb-2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: s

Ireland
    Aye, I would doubt it too.

it's nice to dream though.

Administrator

England
    i would too but i have serious doubts about todays hollywood being able to expose their main character/hero for most of the movie as the bad guy. that makes people in expensive suits very nervous over here.
    American Psycho was a clear example of this in action though
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Aye, but even that was neutered considerably.