Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x03 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 1x03 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 1x03 "The Dog" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Adam Davidson
    Written by: Jack LoGiudice

England
    Hurrah
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

UK
    I personally have lost interest after the break!

Dead

United States
    What up folks? Been awhile! I'm digging this new TWD offering. Not that I lost interest in the main show, this is just something I really wanted to see more of. The start of it.

United States
    Hm...airplane flying wonky after it was specifically said the airport was closed. Could that be the airplane of the dead special?

Also, has anyone else been having trouble getting on the forums? The last couple of weeks, I usually only got a white page with the M. Night Shamylan (however you spell his name) add instead of the forums. Until just now, obviously.

Super Moderator

United States
    Excellent episode! The drive-by scene at the hospital definitely got my wife's attention.

Her: Jesus... I wouldn't even know what to do in that situation!

Me: ...

Her: What?

Me: That's why you have to think about these things BEFORE they happen!

Her: ...

Me: *Shakes head, pulls drawstrings on hoody extra tight*

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Hm...airplane flying wonky after it was specifically said the airport was closed. Could that be the airplane of the dead special?
    Gotta be related, at least, right?

Also, has anyone else been having trouble getting on the forums? The last couple of weeks, I usually only got a white page with the M. Night Shamylan (however you spell his name) add instead of the forums. Until just now, obviously.
    No issues here, aside from some page-freezing due to (I assumed at the time) one of the ads, earlier in the week.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Babomb is back! Wow. I see the Red Devils are ranked 2 in State. Cool to see them playing St Bede again.

The airplane has a story to tell us in the future me thinks. Pretty good episode. It's building but just not exploding yet. The military has a pretty good handle on it, so it will be interesting how they portray it collapsing. I wonder how long police, fire and ems would stay on duty? At some point they are gonna bail to protect their families.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Babomb is back! Wow.
    Good point! Welcome back, Babomb!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not a bad episode, but I'm still not 100% behind this spinoff series. Seeing the beginning is cool and all, but I guess I was kind of expecting more. Maybe in future episodes I'll get more dialed in. As mentioned before, I'm looking forward to seeing the fall of the military operations.

Clearly the barber(I keep thinking of him as the cop in Predator 2....) has a dark and secret past that will be revealed in the coming episodes. That was clear the moment he shot the neighbor's face off and walked off like a gangsta.

The Edward Scissorhands-looking junkie story is kind of wearing thin, IMO.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Sep-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: .

Being Attacked

United States
    Something that continually bothered me at least through the first half of this episode...at least while the Clark's had power in their house...wouldn't it have occurred to someone to turn on the TV to see what was happening in the rest of the city?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    Something that continually bothered me at least through the first half of this episode...at least while the Clark's had power in their house...wouldn't it have occurred to someone to turn on the TV to see what was happening in the rest of the city?
    Damn you're right. Makes zero sense not to try. Also I'm worried about Minion. Normally he's chimed in by now.

UK
    Also I'm worried about Minion. Normally he's chimed in by now.
    Yeah come on MZ, post my views for me so I don't have to!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    Damn you're right. Makes zero sense not to try. Also I'm worried about Minion. Normally he's chimed in by now.
    Don't worry, face - I'm here! All is calm ... I made it through the checkpoints and riots and blood-stained birthday parties unscathed!

Also - yeah - why not check the telly? Maybe there's a deleted scene and the news organisations are out ... but I wouldn't have thought they'd be gone yet ... so it does seem like a very strange thing to not show. I hadn't even thought about that, I was too distracted by Monopoly and enjoying another nice little bit of 'human coping mechanism' stuff getting layered into the show. I loved how they were playing the game just like old times - but then the gunshots bring them slamming right back to reality - until they get their heads down and just keep on keeping on with the game.

In some ways just watching the news - when Travis is out there in the middle of a riot - would just make her worry far more than before. It'd just make the waiting much, much worse. There's little they can realistically do, so perhaps it was just a mutual decision (probably unspoken) that they didn't want to know right now.

Back to the monopoly thing, the coping mechanism stuff - it reminded me of a time when we received a call from the hospital to say that my Grandmother was close to the end and that we should get there ASAP (she'd been in for weeks at that point). We threw stuff into bags and got on the road quick and headed off on the road (the drive was usually somewhere between 6 to 8 hours to get to where she lived). Now, we'd taken this same journey countless times before to visit her (and other relatives too) over the years, so it strangely felt like old times - the road trip mentality kicked in - we felt relatively calm, weirdly enough ... and then someone said something that reminded us all of why we were on the road and it hit hard. Fortunately we got there to see her again before she passed, but anyway ... the monopoly scene in this episode reminded me of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I personally have lost interest after the break!

You see, AMC! You see what your silly week off has done?!

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I'd wondered if the plane we saw in episode 2 was it, but when I saw this one - particularly with it's red paint and the sudden change in direction it takes - I went "aha!" as that'll be the plane we see in the special.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Good point! Welcome back, Babomb!
    Aye, I second that motion!

Loving this show, so I am!

The riot stuff early on was flippin' terrifying - when those thugs burst into the barber shop and smash the place up (as Daniel catches a parting glimpse of his life being destroyed), that was pretty damn intense, and properly scary.

I dug the ending, too - with people putting their bins out as per usual (albeit with bloody carpets inside etc) - and with the military taking care of the situation, clearing the houses and so on. It would appear to Madison and Travis et al that the peak has come, you'd feel safe in the cold light of day compared to the shadows of the night, so it'll be interesting to see if we see a little bit of calm before the inevitable storm. Daniel knows what's up ... perhaps he was in Vietnam as a young man (the actor was born in 1948, so it's entirely possible for his character) ... and yeah, I too know him best as Danny from Predator 2. Even though I've seen a bunch of the movies he's appeared in, Predator 2 was the first one of his flicks that I saw, so he's always been Danny from Predator 2 to me in a way, so it'll be nice to identify him with another role as he's shaping up to be an interesting character in FTWD.

I had to chuckle darkly when he non-challantly handed back the shotgun to Madison just after blowing that dude's head off.

FTWD 1x03 Memes:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    Yeah come on MZ, post my views for me so I don't have to!!

I hope this week's thoughts are up to snuff, good Sir.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I hope this week's thoughts are up to snuff, good Sir.
    Aye job well done there.

The bit I liked was the power going on and off. When they were driving from the riots and all the power was going out, I was thinking 'this is way too early in the fall for this to be happening'. Thankfully the power came on again and stayed on for quite a while later on so it hints that they managed to get that under control, a subtle hint at society trying to cling on to life.

I also really liked the little maze in between the houses, Madison and the daughter didn't have a clue where they were going while Nick had clearly used that as an escape route many times and knew the route perfectly. It was also tense because you knew there was going to be a walker (should we be calling them walkers or by name??) but you didn't know when so it kept you hooked.

The whole thing with Susan and then her husband was brilliant. It gave Team Travis a chance to have close look at somebody they knew and they could see how who they were, was no longer there. They can be in no doubt now that Susan was dead as was the neighbour.

Also when the dead start rising "Put Wood Int'Ole" (or if you aren't from northern England. Shut the door!!)

Being Attacked

United States
    Daniel is quickly becoming my favorite character -- he seems to be somebody that is in the know. The way he blasted Peter -- he didn't waste a body shot - he went straight for the head - and when the first shot didn't do the job he re-aimed straight at the brain...(awesome KNB makeup effect by the way!) also at the end when the Guardsmen were spray painting the house across the street with the FEMA "X" showing the number of dead recovered he knew it was already "too late" and that the battle to save civilization had already been lost...he's going to definitely turn out to be the resident bad-ass...