Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK folks - Cult of 'Survivors'

Administrator

England

UK folks - Cult of 'Survivors'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listing...ervice_id=4544

BBC4 - Tue 8:30pm & BBC4 - Thu 10:00pm
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listing...ervice_id=4544

BBC4 - Tue 8:30pm & BBC4 - Thu 10:00pm

A lot of us in America love this series too!

I wish they would show it here again or release it on DVD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by GRMonLI View Post
    A lot of us in America love this series too!

I wish they would show it here again or release it on DVD.
    http://www.erazamataz.co.uk/prodview...RX00201&TRK=26

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Wow, this is the first time I've heard The Survivors being mentioned in years.

Kazakhstan
    friggin LOVE this show.
    did you know mcculloch now raises sheep in isolation, so profound was the impact of working on that show...cool

England
    Its being remade. Suprise suprise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...urvivors.shtml

Im currently working my way through this thanks to lovefim and having never heard of it before, im shocked at how good it is. Really good. Quite disturbing some of it is as well. For a 1975 production it holds up really well although the switch from exterior footage to on set footage can be jarring at times. It looks like they used different cameras. The set footage has an almost filmed play look about it.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    UK folks hell. i love this show esp the first series. i don't know how i will feel about this remake until a bit more info surfaces.

great, great scifi.

i downloaded the cult of series a bit ago. it also has shows on tripods and star cops and a few others.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Its being remade. Suprise suprise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...urvivors.shtml

Im currently working my way through this thanks to lovefim and having never heard of it before, im shocked at how good it is. Really good. Quite disturbing some of it is as well. For a 1975 production it holds up really well although the switch from exterior footage to on set footage can be jarring at times. It looks like they used different cameras. The set footage has an almost filmed play look about it.
    Cooool! Now remake Blakes 7!!!!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I wish they'd drop the prices on the DVD box sets...they are around £40 per series.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I wish they'd drop the prices on the DVD box sets...they are around £40 per series.
    it isn't even available in north america on DVD at all (i just checked amazon). i had to use, ahem, alternate means to acquire the copies i have.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Kazakhstan
    They need to release all the old classic on affordable DVDs. I havent checked in a while but year of the sex olympics costs a bloody bomb.

They should release Threads, Blakes 7, Survivors, Quatermass and the War Game in a big Depressing British Sci-Fi boxed set.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    it isn't even available in north america on DVD at all (i just checked amazon). i had to use, ahem, alternate means to acquire the copies i have.
    i used the same "means" to acquire my copies of Space above and beyond and Touching Evil.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    i used the same "means" to acquire my copies of Space above and beyond and Touching Evil.
    S.A.A.B was quite cheap anyway, I paid about £15 for it (new) from ebay.

I also love Liams idea for big depressing box set...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    They need to release all the old classic on affordable DVDs. I havent checked in a while but year of the sex olympics costs a bloody bomb.

They should release Threads, Blakes 7, Survivors, Quatermass and the War Game in a big Depressing British Sci-Fi boxed set.

werent all the decent ones like...was quatermass and the pit the one about the thing found underground? (not spoling it, the story rocks)
    -but anyway, werent all the copies lost?

and dude. no day of the triffids?

Kazakhstan
    Both the TV and movie version of Quatermass & the pit still exist, but the tv version of The Quatermass Experiment and some episodes of Quatermass II are missing i'm afraid.

The 1979 (I think) follow up was by far the bleakest though, it was a truly realistic depiction of the collapse of British society...(as I recall)

Triffids was cool, forgot that one - another one to remember is The Last Train, that was truly unsettling and was what I kept thinking of the first time I saw "28 Days Later"
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE