Thread: Nirvana - The Movie

capncnut

Nirvana - The Movie

As I was browsing the aisles of my local dvd store I came across this little title.

Nirvana
    112 Min/1996

A stunning cyber fantasy, rich in design and innovative ideas, that engages the mind while always remaining enjoyable on the purest pulp levels. Superstar video game inventor Jimi (Christopher Lambert) creates a new game called 'Nirvana', then realises his virtual reality hero Solo (Diego Abatantuono) has a human conciousness. How he tries to erase the game before it's mass release, which would condemn Solo to a never ending existence, pits Jimi against a ruthless multi-national corporation and takes him through the seedy underworlds of a future metropolis known as Norther Agglomerate. Directed by Gabriele Salvatores ('Mediterraneo') with one eye on meaningful psychodrama and the other on giving his existential 'Blade Runner' a unique look, this epic plea for Utopian harmony is one of the best science fiction films ever made. Yet few people outside of Italy have seen it. A must see!

Radio Times
    Anyone seen this? I think I may have to get it next time I cruise by.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've never heard of that flick, no doubt it's all mouth and no trousers ... sounds good ... whether it actually is or not is a whole other story. Heck, Johnny Nemonic or whatever it was called sounded good ... but no.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

United States
    Has Christopher Lambert made anything decent since the original Highlander?

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Super Moderator

UK
    I enjoyed Mortal Kombat ... but that wasn't a superb movie by any means. I know what you mean, I get a generally "dud" impression from Lambert's career...