Thread: Dawn of war series

Canada

Dawn of war series

So, I really don't know how many people on here play this game series but I thought I'd start a thread for people who play the game, or who want to get into it, to talk about it, and share strategies and tips.

first, a brief (okay, turned out to be longer then brief) introduction on the game for those who know nothing about it.

Dawn of war was introduced in 2005, and features 4 distinct, unique races- The Eldar, The Orks, The Space Marines, and The Chaos Space marines, with limited cameos from the Imperial Guard, which are limited to only two units (the Lemen Russ battle tank, and the Individual Gaurdsmen). As well as several unique and quite frankly, interesting game mechanics:
    -Units are purchased as squads, which can then be reinforced
    - Resources are gathered via power produced from generators, and requisition, which is gained from capturing strategic points, relics, and critical location points. Listening posts are then built upon them, which can be upgraded, and conversly, increase the amount of requisition generated from each point. In this way, focus is shifted from resource gathering to point control; if you end up holding less points then your opponent, you will end up at a severe disadvantage. Listening posts can only be built on strategic and relic points, not critical locations.
    -All units (with some exceptions) have both a ranged and melee attack. Attack stance is dermined by that units preference (ie, the one it's most suited for), but can be changed at any moment by clicking an icon. Most units will engage in close combat when prompted too, so it is a good way to tie up nasty ranged attackers.
    -late game, a relic unit can be purchased, however, control of a relic is needed (hence relic unit) in order for that unit to be built. Each unit has a different purpose and weapons loadout.
    -Units are scaled upwords as the game goes on in length and tech levels; every unit has a purpose, even late game.
    -Each race is Vastly different. All 9 have different tech trees, units, stats, and abilities. They also have a very different attack strategy. Each race is more suited for a certain game/attack type.
    -Morale. Each squad has a morale health bar under their health bar. As the unit takes damage, morale is lost, with more being lost for each squad member killed. When a units morale reaches zero, it breaks, and loses combat effectiveness. Their damage is lowered dramtically, and they gain double movement speed, allowing for a quick escape. Morale raises back on its own naturally, but can be restored via special abilities.
    -squads can have leaders attached to them, adding to the squads HP pool and increasing morale of the squad.
    -Buildings can only be built in a control area, which is gained from capturing relics and strategic points. Turrets can be built anywhere on the map.

Space marines
    All rounders. Adaptable to any siuation which presents itself. Heavily armoured and tough infantry units (toughest in the game), deep striking (orbital teleporting, and drop pod assaults), along with fairly rapid moving vehicles (rhino transport and land speeder) allow for lightning raids. Main line fighting squad has highly custimizable weapon loadouts.
    Relic unit- Land Raider assault tank.

Eldar
    focus on blinding speed, heavy vehicular firepower, psychic powers, and mobility. Webway gates can be cloaked, and hide an entire eldar base from view. Units can be stored in webway gates and warped to corresponding ones. most infantry squads have the fleet of foot ability, which can double their movement speed. Builder unit has largest teleportation range in the game, and can construct webway gates throughout a map, allowing for rapid transit of Eldar soldiers.
    Relic unit- Avatar of Khaine.

Orks
    Focus on getting as many bodies onto the field as possible, numbers, numbers, and more numbers. Ork units are tough, and their capper units (first unit available to build) are probibly the toughest of the 9 factions. all major Ork buildings have guns on them, ranging from one, to 4 for their largest, which makes assualting an Ork base bery difficult. Most units are close combat orientated, and perform the role very well. Gain Morale immunity when numbers reach a large enough amount. Unlike other builder units, the Gretchin can be reinforced to increase survivabilty.
    Relic unit- Squiggoth.

Chaos Space Marines
    Focus is on infiltrating infantry, and tough close combat units. Much less the same unit stats as Imperial Space Marines (slightly less health), no deep striking marines however, and vehicles are limited. Defiler fits role of walker and anti-infantry tank. To make up for the lack of vehicular support, deep striking infantry and walkers, and mobility, CSMs employ a variety of demoic entities. Builder unit can be forced to build faster, but this removes health from the unit, possibly killing him if left unchecked.
    Relic unit- Greater Demon of Khorne.

It also has 3 expansions (all using the same engine of course).
    Winter assualt was released in 2005, and introduced and all new faction, and new units for the existing factions.

Imperial Guard
    Focus on Hordes of weak infantry, Defense, and tough vehicles. Imperial Guard buildings are tougher and stronger then other factions buildings, and most can hold a small garrison of troops (ranging from 1-3 squads based on building size). Garrisoned troops can use tunnels dug beneath the buildings to rapidly transport themselves between structures able to hold infantry. Garrisoned units gain attack bonus, and access to special weapon emplacements (lasguns, plasma guns, and heavy bolter). Imperial Guard tanks are perhaps the toughest and boast the most firepower, and the Chimera troop transport is fast, tough, and well armed. Squads riding inside chimera can fire weapons from hatces and lasguns mounted on the side. Imperial Guard squads can also have a wider assortment of attachable leaders, which are utterly a must to make Guardsmen squads truly effective. Builders Repair and build faster then other factions builder units, and have better armour.
    Relic unit- Baneblade super heavy tank

New units added
    Space Marines- Chaplin
    Orks- Mega Armoured Nobz
    Eldar- Fire Dragon aspect warriors
    Chaos Space Marines- Khorne Beserkers

Dark Crusade was introduced in 2006, and introduced two new races, and additional units to the existing factions.

Tau
    Focus almost entirely on static, ranged firepower. Most units are horrendous at close combat. Tech tree can be chosen at a point, via path to enlightenment. The Mont'ka or Kauyon (spelling?) technology teirs influence upgrades, end game units, and possible tactics. One tech path places more emphasis on heavy vehicles and mobile armour, other on more close combat units, and improved upgrades for infantry. Force Commander lacks melee attack. Tau combat doctrine focus' heavily on ranged fire power, and less emphasis is placed on defenses. To show this, the Tau cannot contruct placeable turrets or mine fields. Melee capability given by Kroot warriors. Troop transport is permenantly cloaked with weak offensive abilities.
    Relic unit- Greater Knarloc

Necrons
    Focus on resilient, tough, but slow moving infantry, and fast skimming “vehicles”. Necron units are constructed at the Monolith, which also acts a late game vehicle. Everytime a necron warrior, flayed one, or immortal is killed, there is a chance that it will re construct itself, and rejoin battle at about 1/5 of it's original health. Necrons do not use requisition, only power. They still need to capture strategic points in order to get more control area, and keep others from taking the points. Necrons also gain a production speed increase for each captured and re-enforced point. The Necron lord can be given an equipment load out from artifacts, which are chosen from a necron structure. Three may be used total, and they are perminant add ons. Necron units can be reserected by the necron lord with the reserection orb, possibly exceding the population cap. Scarab builder unit is also the only necron unit that can capture points of interest on the map, and can be reinforced just like the Gretchin. Necron lord can also turn into the C'tan Star God Nightbringer- One of the Necron "dieties"- for a brief period. he is invunerable to damage, and lasts for about a minute.
    Relic unit- Fully Restored Monolith.

New units added
    Space Marines- Grey Knights Inquisition Squad
    Imperial Guard- Heavy Weapons team
    Eldar- Harlequin
    Chaos Space Marines- Demon Prince
    Orks- Flash Gits

Holy man, talk about long, if anyone actually reads all that, i'll be surprised, but I enjoyed writing that out, and I'll post some stuff on base unit tactics (I will mainly focus on Imperial Guard) so if anyone has anything to add, please do so!

I never added the Dark Eldar or Sisters of Battle, as I have yet to play Soulstorm, the 3rd expansion for the series. New units added are All flyers, except for the Necrons, who get the Essence of the Deiciever (C'tan Star God).

new units added
    Imperial Guard- Marauder Bomber
    Space Marines- Land Speeder Tempest
    Chaos Space Marines- Hell Talon
    Eldar- Nightwing
    Tau- Barricuda
    Necrons- The Necron Deceiver
    Orks- Fighta Bomba

Scotland
    I can do the intro for Soulstorm and a brief decription of the Sisters of Mercy(Only played with them once.

Where Dark Crusade had a single planet with many regions to conquer, Soulstorm covers 3 planets with about 10 regions on each.

Rather than explain the intro, Youtube is kind enough to supply it:

As for the Sisters, there whole army system is based on Faith.
    Like the Orks have their Waaaagh! which gets bigger and unlocks more the larger the army gets, the Sisters maintain and increase the Faith of their units to get better units and buildings. You create Priest/Chaplains and build Holy signs on Listening posts to spread the faith. They have some good looking units and vehicles and are at their best when units are paired with the Priest/Chaplains as they maintain their faith and have some good spells that heal as well as destroy.

Still to give the Dark Eldar a go, I must obey She who Thirsts.

Canada
    nice, that intro was spiffy! I remember seeing an intro on youtube for Soulstorm, and it had an Imperial Guard outpost being attacked by the Tau, and on it's last legs. The commander is killed, and then WAM, Battle sisters all up in this place. Pretty awesome, But I would love to see anouther introductory cut scene ala the Original Dawn of War, which is very immpressive.

Technically, I can call Slannesh He or it who thirsts...doesn't really have a specific gender (being the God of decadence and over indulgence that it is) but She sounds better.

How do the sisters play as then? Can they tank like a necron warrior or space marine squad? Brittle like a Guardsmen squad? or somewhere inbetween? I'd imagine the last option eh? How does the faith system work then? is it always there like the WAGHHHHH! bonus, you just need to meet the requirements to unlock it so to speak, or is it something you get when you meet a certain tech requirement?
    *oh hell, i guess you answered it in the post eh, sorry, I've been up for about 11 hours, and was at a bar for about 5 of those lol*

double hell, I still have the demo on my comp! I can give the runty pointy eldar a go I think...I just gotta get some important links in this thread to get a unit comparison and stats..I think I know just where to look.

Thanks for the info Lost, if ya get more, post it in here lol.

United Kingdom
    I used to play DoW, and I did get the first expansion pack (Winter Assault?) I really liked the game and I can't think why I don't play it any more... Though this was before I started playing a lot of games online, maybe if I played it now I might have more fun playing with other players.

Anyway, I always played as Orks, they're my favourite of all WH40K armies.
    Last edited by Craig; 09-Mar-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Canada
    http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/Gretchin

have it linked to Gretchin, but it's the official relic wiki for the DOW series. Pretty neat stuff, including DPS, range accuracy, morale damage rate etc.
    The soulstorm units are getting edited in as well it seems, and i cannot wait to see all the goodies.

Pick up Dark Crusade Craig, adds a ton of goodies that I never got into (balance and bug fixes), and plenty of nerfs. I rememebr when IG could feild 5 or more Lemen Russes lol.

speaking of which, Heres my usualy Build order for the Imperial Guard. Nothing fancy, but it is workign so far.

HQ- build 1 Guardsmen squad, 1 tech priest, then 2 more guardsmen squads.
    Starting tech priest- builds infantry command and then starts on plasma generater.
    By this time, the 1st guardsmen squad should be complete, so send it out to a relitively far strategic point (bear in mind, i usually play on 1v1 maps, so there are less points, but they are further apart). The infantry command should be close to done, or complete by now, so set the techpriest up with the plasma generater. The 2nd priest should be out by now, so send it to help construct the plasma generater. Build your command squad from infantry command. Send out other guardsmen squads to cap all available points, and cap them asap. Don't reinforce the guardsmen squads, you'll need the cash in order to tech up to tier 2, but as soon as the command squad is done, build a leader according to what your fighting against...
    I usually use priest, but they lack any ranged attacks. if you want a detecor (such as maches vs Tau) get the psyker, and finally for a mixed range/cc guy, build a commissar.
    your gonna need to dance your guardsmen squads pretty friggin good, don't get loan squads caught in a fight, hell, don't engage in most fights unless all 3 are together, and with the command squad. you absolutely cannot lose a Guardsmen squad, they cost a ton, and you cannot afford it. Also, don't be afraid to lose strategic points/listening posts, but try and ward off any encroachment. Keep in mind to tech up as soon as you get the required requisition and power, going to tier 2 is essential here. I usually toss in an extra power gen here, just to get it up that much more.

Pretty basic, I got Tier one down pat pretty good, but I'm gonna experiment a lil bit with 2, and of course, neatin this up a little bit tommorrow when i get home from work.

United Kingdom
    Does Dark Crusade add anything new for da Orkses?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    nice, that intro was spiffy! I remember seeing an intro on youtube for Soulstorm, and it had an Imperial Guard outpost being attacked by the Tau, and on it's last legs. The commander is killed, and then WAM, Battle sisters all up in this place. Pretty awesome, But I would love to see anouther introductory cut scene ala the Original Dawn of War, which is very immpressive.

Technically, I can call Slannesh He or it who thirsts...doesn't really have a specific gender (being the God of decadence and over indulgence that it is) but She sounds better.
    Yeah, that is the Starting Intro when it loads up. The into above is when you start a Campaign.

She who Thirsts is what the Dark Eldar call it as they do not refer to her by name.

Here is a link to the start of the Dark Eldar and Slannesh

I've just finished having a quick skirmish with them. Their secret is the gathering of souls from those you kill. Although it is not necessary to harvest souls to get all the units it grants, you gain certian spells that you can cast anywhere as long it is not in the fog of war. Their units are pretty cool, lots of leather and wicked blades. The Special unit is a floating ship with a guy (The Dias) sitting on a throne with 2 scantily clad slave women lying in front of him. I might be tempted to change my team if I can find a good tactic with them.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Does Dark Crusade add anything new for da Orkses?
    I take it I get my answer when i asked if any one read my post :P just kidding.

heres the copy/paste for new ork units in Dark Crusade and Soulstorm.

Orks- Flash Gits, Fighta Bomba. I believe, they also get new researches, and upgrades, and some of the old ones that got canned are back. Umm, did they have the research which makes slugga boys free in WA? I haven't played it in so long, i stick to Dark Crusade.

Also, Dark Crusade allows you to outfit your commander with wargear (single player missons only) which buff and boost him to immpressive degrees. You also gain honour Guard units, which are basically slightly more powerful then the actual unit, and you start off with them when you fight a scenario.

Get it ASAP man, it is more then likely cheap as hell by now; I got my copy for 35 bucks about a year ago.

She who Thirsts is what the Dark Eldar call it as they do not refer to her by name.
    Oh, I know, I was just poking fun at Slanneshs Androgenius nature. We should have a skirmish sometime lost, but you have soulstorm, and i'm stuck with Dark crusade ftm...