Thread: Groan! Defragging my hard drive fraked it!

Administrator

England

Groan! Defragging my hard drive fraked it!

Used O&O defrag and on the next boot - Some directories and files are invisible and boot and access is super super slow

Groan! God I hate computers!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ive never had a problem with the disk defrag program on any of my windows xp pc's, though i get the feeling, im as mellow as they come, but my pc running slow or doing something wrong pisses me off to no end, though my freind mark is the same with driving, everyones got one aggro swtich i guess.

capncnut
    Defrags should be okay as long as they aren't done every 5 min.

Administrator

England
    This is O&O Defrag Professional, not the standard Windows defrag that doesn't really no much...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    My hard drive is 600GB (2x 300GB ones linked) and it takes farking ages to defrag,im talking like 3-4 hours!despite 450GB of it being empty as well!my pc is an absolute monster till it comes to defragging!

Administrator

England
    Bless Acronis True Image... Looks like I've got my C drive back (on a new hard drive). The backup is 3 months old, but very little has changed on it over that time so just a hour or so's hassle updating odds'n'sods! Phew!
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is why I only use XP defrag. I don't trust outside vendor HDD defrag programs. However, I swear by Acronis True Image.

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*