Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of the Dead European Version

United States

Dawn of the Dead European Version

I know that there are many of you here that are in Europe. Yesterday I watched the Euro version of Dawn again, and again had the sure feeling that it is the lesser of the three versions. The only thing that I like about it better is the extra scenes and dialogue that do not exist in the other two. I could swear that I heard people say that they actually prefer the Euro cut to the other two. Is there anybody here that thinks this is the best version, and if so, can you offer me some compelling arguments as to why?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Somebody kill me, but I've actually only seen one of the cuts and I'm not sure which one it is! The running time is 126 minutes, according to this site Memorabilia section (It's the HGV version).

United States
    3 parts of the Euro cut that I liked

1: Peter saying "where the hell ARE we going" (or something to that effect) whille at the airport

2: Peter saying "Not too many of our dead friends today" whille planing to block the doors with the trucks

3: Peter (again) smileing whille the bikers use pies on the zombies

honourable mention goes to Roger finishing off that zombie he shoots in the gut when they are trying to get in the first store

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Super Moderator

UK
    My version of choice is the extended cut - first one I saw and it's the one I've seen most. Got the Ultimate DVD, the theatrical cut is good, but I miss a lot of the added detail the extended cut has. The european version is funky because there's a whole bunch of new footage/music/editing to enjoy - kinda makes a familiar film new territory again. I'll have to watch it without the commentary on and properly view it.

United States
    The Euro version is my least fav. Here are my points of interest.

1. The cellar scene with Peter and Roger is extended with a bit more gore.
    2. There is a bit more dialogue that was left out as well.
    3. On the flip side there were tons of lines that were left out, like Peter saying "Wake up sucker..."
    4. The music during the biker raid was just horrible.
    5. Overall, it's not bad, but I just can't watch it over the other two versions.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Canada
    Post deleted.
    Last edited by dogma789; 12-Feb-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Deleted post.

Christmas Island
    It seems there's too much Goblin in the Euro cut and by the end of that version, it feels like some sort of hokey action movie. The Ami cut is the best in terms of music and editing. It feels just right.

Banned User

United States
    I only own the US Theatrical cut.

Is there an "ultimate" version that has every bit of footage, used and un-used?

Undisclosed
    I own all three, and have seen all three many times. My favorite is the US theatrical version as it just seams to keep the pace better and the timing seams tighter.

I do enjoy a watch of the Euro version ocassionally, I think because it offers new ground.

I have been a fan of Dawn for 20 years or more and knew every line of that movie. I never even knew any other cuts existed until the internet came about in the mid-late 90's.

When I finally got my hands on a copy of the Euro version, I was pleasntly surprised to find the movie that I knew and loved so much in an entirely different light.

It was like watching an entirely different movie, but you knew what was going to happen.

It was so interesting to see and hear all those scenes and bits of dialog that were cut out of the US versions. Dawn of the Dead would have been a really long movie had they left all the footage in. I heard one time that the initial cut came in at around 3 hours I would love to see that!

As far as scene and dialog, I love all of the stuff inArgento's version that GAR cut out, but I particularly love two scenes. The first being the extended dialog scene in the tenament basement, when the priest says, "These are simple people, but they do not give up easily, and thier dead, they give up to no one! I like that one.

I also like when Peter says, "How bout it Flyboy, let's say the lady gets killed, would you be able to chop off her head?"

ct....
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I don't which version I have!!!

It says its the uncut version. I live in the UK. It is around 140 minutes i think. Am I missing anything!!! I alsyways thought this was it.

United Kingdom
    I have no idea which version I own.

It's this one: http://play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/179173/Da...d/Product.html

Super Moderator

UK
    If it's 140 minutes then it's the "Extended Cut", otherwise known in the UK as the "Director's Cut". However, GAR maintains that the true "Director's Cut" is the "Theatrical Cut" (which clocks in at around 2 hours) because they released it unrated so he didn't need to sacrifice his vision.

I've got the "extended cut" (labelled as "Director's Cut") on BMG video, the release from the late 90's. I've also got the region 1 "Ultimate DVD", which has three versions of the film on ... I've still to get my hands on the German cut - which not many have seen, which clocks in at 156 minutes. It's like the Extended Version shagged the European Cut and gave birth to the German beast...I think.

Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    If it's 140 minutes then it's the "Extended Cut", otherwise known in the UK as the "Director's Cut". However, GAR maintains that the true "Director's Cut" is the "Theatrical Cut" (which clocks in at around 2 hours) because they released it unrated so he didn't need to sacrifice his vision.

I've got the "extended cut" (labelled as "Director's Cut") on BMG video, the release from the late 90's. I've also got the region 1 "Ultimate DVD", which has three versions of the film on ... I've still to get my hands on the German cut - which not many have seen, which clocks in at 156 minutes. It's like the Extended Version shagged the European Cut and gave birth to the German beast...I think.

WHA WHA WHA WHAAA?! There is a 156 minute German version? Why has it never come out in the States or the UK? Why wasnt that included in the Ultimate Version (which I own)?!

I am very right now. I really want to see that cut!

United States
    the 156 minute version is all in German, pretty funny dubbing if you ask me. its almost a spliced together version of the "Directors" and Argento cuts. It was only released in germany....so far, its actually pretty funny to watch

United States
    Yes there is. Unfortunately, I think it exists in German only. It is referred to as the German Red Edition. I dont know why Anchor Bay has not figured out that there is money to be made by making an English version of all 156 minutes.