Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call Of Duty 4

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Call Of Duty 4

Who on these forums has this game? Just bought it tonight and am loving the crap out of it. Played it for 2.5 hours and ranked up to 7 (Corpral). I wouldn't mind playing with some HPotD members.

Also, this game isn't just great for the multiplayer. I played through 3 levels of single player and it's absolutely amazing. I can clearly see why GameInformer gave this a solid 10.

United Kingdom
    I really don't like the CoD games for what they did to the WWII genre but since this is modern warfare I might buy it... Mainly because I don't have many games to play on XBL.
    Last edited by Craig; 01-Dec-2007 at 11:17 AM.

United States
    my gf is getting me this for christmas. she said she'd get it early for me, but as i've got a five-page paper due on this upcoming tuesday, i think it'd be best if i waited another few days. i'll let ya know when i get it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Craig - why don't you like what COD did to the WW2 gaming genre? Surely it only did good, because I'd say it's the pinnacle of the genre.

I've got COD4, but don't have XBL, so can only talk about the single player - and it's superb, it's an awesome game. The Chernobyl/Pripyat level is utterly intense, you'll be on the edge of your seat throughout (unless you don't have a soul). It's balls-out gripping.

The end of the first act is also superb, make sure you move - because you can - but because it means you get to see all the awesomeness of the end of Act 1. No spoilers there, but let's just say it's great.

A SexBox369 without COD4 is like ... well, something cool without something utterly necessary.

England
    Call of duty did quite well for the world war 2 genre i think,apart from the stupid halo style healing method where you could charge an MG42 head on,then just hide for a second while your health miraculously recovered
    I think for a lot of people,if they actually took in what the game was really about,they will have learned a fair bit about world war 2 seen as schools refuse to teach about it these days.Personally,after playing the games,i read up on the battles that the game was based around to see what really happened & how accurate the game was.The battle for pointe du hoc stands out as the finest moment in the CoD world war 2 series,i thought it was great how you fought up the cliffs,through the bunkers & onto the road,then were pushed right back to the start by the german counter attack.I like it in a game where you get beaten back by superior enemy forces rather than just been an unstoppable one man army all the time.Ive just bought this months PC gamer which has a demo of CoD4 so im going to fire it up later,im going to finish crysis before i buy it though

Undisclosed
    I rented and beat the game rather quick, but I believe I played it on PS3 and not the 369. Btw, there's an Easter Egg in the game. I mentioned this on my review. Let the ending credits roll through and you'll see it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, a bonus level. Short but pure COD drama.

Tricky - I think you'll enjoy it. It's still got the heal thing, which is better in terms of realism (loose realism ) than picking up conveniently placed health packs lying around, hehe. But if you're in the bloodshot eye mode you're close to kicking some bucket, and it does take a short while to get away from that, in which time - if you're not somewhere properly safe - you'll be shot, or 'naded.

As for the back-and-forth you liked in Pointe du Hoc, there's a level in COD4 where you are defending against an attack and are pushing back - it's sheer panic - and you get to blow C4 charges. You're pushed right back with your backs against the wall, so-to-speak, then you have to push back against the attacking forces to get not only get back to where you were, but beyond that to get to the waterside for your extraction where a chopper is waiting.

It's chaotic stuff.

I wonder what level the demo will be, probably the ship - which is the first level. A great level, the escape is dramatic alright.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Craig - why don't you like what COD did to the WW2 gaming genre? Surely it only did good, because I'd say it's the pinnacle of the genre.
    Well being quite interested in WWII I realised how bad and unrealistic a lot of it (not everything) was. It was completely overshadowed in my mind by Red Orchestra.

But anyway, I probably will get this, because I can also appreciate arcadey shooters as well, as long as they don't try and do WWII.

Is there a demo on marketplace?
    Last edited by Craig; 01-Dec-2007 at 07:01 PM.

England
    Ive played the demo now,i have to say im mighty impressed with it!the level you play is one where your in a middle eastern city & have to go & rescue a stranded tank,theres a few firefights through buildings,2 tanks to knock out on an overpass (damn,i love that missile launcher)knock out an AA gun & then call in a pair of cobras to blast a building.It looks absolutely beaut on my system,and theres some nice little touches on show,if your stood near someone firing a gun you can see the heat shimmers from the end of the barrel!
    I love the dragunov as well,you can knock 'em down with that bad boy!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah yes, that'll be "The Bog", one of the levels from the first act - and a superb level in itself. Yeah I loved that level, excellent stuff. And hell yes, I gawped like a teenager at boobs when I saw the heat shimmer from steamy-hot gun barrels too.

An absolute must-have, you won't be disappointed by the full game. If you loved COD 1 and 2, you'll love COD 4. It's like COD2 turned up to 11, in the modern setting...oh, and you don't really come across a swarm of enemies like on Hill 400 where it was kinda insane...but then again, there's fewer men on the ground in the modern combat field now so...

Wasn't it awesome that you see the laser traces in night vision mode? Did you save your comrade who got into a ruck with a bad guy on the staircase? Save him and it's an achievement on the SexBox...being the good boy I am I saved him straight away.

England
    yeah the night vision looks cool!and i did save the guy on the stairs,yessiree!i like the effect when your aiming down the sights & things in the foreground go out of focus,its pretty sweet!

United States
    I don't have it, but I've played it at my friends house.

It's incredible, I must say. Shock and Awe and that Gillie suit mission are hands down two of the coolest things I've ever seen in a war game.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

United States
    okay, well, i couldn't hold off. got it tonight, only played it for a few minutes though...still got that damn paper to write. gamertag is in my signature, so send me a friend request if you wanna meet up....but identify yourself as a fellow hpotd freak, cuz there's too many halo brats who wanna buddy up just cuz we win a match together.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh it's an excellent game indeed.

I'm trying to resist the urge to play COD4 again now, what with all this talk here, because I've got some editing to do for a job I got at the last minute a couple of days ago - but it's not a huge thing, just a 5 minute thing, so it's no biggie...but it'd be better to get on with it, rather than give in to temptation and splurge out on a COD4 sesh.

Super Moderator

UK
    You know what would be awesome - Call of Duty 5 set in Vietnam.

There's not really been a full on, proper-proper-proper Vietnam FPS game before. The best out there is Battlefield: Vietnam, but it's not really single player minded and has no story.

But take the intensity of the COD franchise and inject that into Vietnam and I reckon you'd get the defining Vietnam FPS game. I'm currently re-watching "Hamburger Hill" and I just got thinking, COD meets Vietnam would be incredible.