Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New *real* "I Am Legend" Trailer

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I saw I Am Legend last night. One thing is for damn sure.....all you Will Smith haters can now shove your foot in your mouth. The man does a hell of a job carrying the weight of being the last man on Earth.

The first act of the film is a lot of fun. We spend a lot of time with Just Neville and his dog, Sam. We see how he spends his day to day life and what not. Then in the second act, the sh*t sort of hits the fan. Then the third act....wait. Third act?

That's right. This film has an obvious test screening/studio interference job going on. I could easily tell that there were many different little things that were being built up and then were totally disregarded in the second(and FINAL??) act.

I'm not going to give any of these things away, of course, but the ending is so rushed it's ridiculous. It feels like they did it with one day of re-shoots. I don't know the ending to the book, so I can't really compare with that, but I have seen the previous two film adaptations. I can't say that the end to Legend is bad....it's just phoned in and rushed. You could tell that it was probably the 3rd, or possibly 4th alternate ending. Having read an interview with the director in which he states that there definitely are alternate endings and they'll be on DVD....I can't wait to see his original vision.

Anywho....all in all, I thought it was an an enjoyable film. My only real complaints are the CGI "darkseekers"(whatever happened to makeup?), the rushed "ending", and the constant product placement(the only driveable cars are Fords?). Most of these are obvious studio interference and not to be blamed on the director. Up until the ending, the director actually created a very nice atmosphere and Will Smith created a very lovable character that you understand and come to care for. I would actually say this role is up there on Smith's list with Six Degrees of Seperation and The Pursuit of Happyness. It was more of a dramatic role than an action role.

I would give the theatrical cut of I Am Legend a 7/10. Worth the price of admission, I would say. I can't wait to see what the director has in store for us with his original vision on DVD.

And one last thing....try not to see it on a weekend night when there will be a bunch of teenagers in the crowd. I had these little bastards laughing at things that were nowhere near funny and meant to be emotional. They were emotional scenes.....I guess the kids wanted to be "tough" in front of their buddies.

And there wasn't an "Aww hell naw!" moment.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Dec-2007 at 02:32 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I figured this film would be decent, I am just pissed about the PG-13 rating is all. However, I planned on waiting at least until the middle of the week to see it, just to avoid the problematic little bastards you referred too.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I figured this film would be decent, I am just pissed about the PG-13 rating is all. However, I planned on waiting at least until the middle of the week to see it, just to avoid the problematic little bastards you referred too.
    Wait until you see the trailer for The Dark Knight before it, man. HOLY SH*T. That movie is going to kick so much ass. People litterally cheered for the trailer. You'll probably see it online before you go see Legend, though. I think they're releasing it tomorrow.

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't get the Will Smith bashing, I mean yes the "oh hell no" thing is annoying at times and shouldn't be used as much as it's perceived to be used. But I knew/know he can pull off much deeper stuff and can actually act, so I thought the reaction was a bit harsh.

Product placement eh? How much, like "The Island" or less than that?

I'll definitely check it out sometime, but I wasn't gagging to see it either.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't get the Will Smith bashing, I mean yes the "oh hell no" thing is annoying at times and shouldn't be used as much as it's perceived to be used. But I knew/know he can pull off much deeper stuff and can actually act, so I thought the reaction was a bit harsh.

Product placement eh? How much, like "The Island" or less than that?

I'll definitely check it out sometime, but I wasn't gagging to see it either.
    Yeah....he does a phenomenal job in Legend, though. There were several times I got teary eyed because of his performance. My girlfriend was straight out crying. So yeah...Smith bashers apparently just don't want to believe that he's a good actor because he's done comedies and action.

The only product placements that I noticed were Verizon Wireless and Ford, although I'm sure there were more. Ford was the MAJOR one. Out of all the abandoned vehicles in New York....apparently only Fords are still able to drive. I also noticed a nifty little billboard that is the Batman logo with the Superman logo in the middle. Just like the Batman Vs. Superman movie that's been in development hell since the nineties. I thought it was a nice little touch seeing as how Legend takes place in 2012.

Although the film is not flawless, it's a great sophomore flick. I enjoyed much more than his first flick, Constantine.

Administrator

England
    The reviews are sounding more and more promising! I'm glad I was wrong about it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The reviews are sounding more and more promising! I'm glad I was wrong about it!
    Wait until you see it, Neil ... not that I have, but my point being is it's always best to judge for yourself and take mainstream opinion of a film with some salt...lest ye come back on 'ere decrying it with rants of "aw hell no!" and so forth.

Administrator

England
    Is there talk of a directors version of it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Is there talk of a directors version of it?
    The director did an interview in which he states that there will definitely be alternate endings, but he isn't sure about anything else. I hope there is a directors cut, though. It's obvious that the studio f*cked with his film...

United States
    uh....whoops...wrong thread.

*wanders off*