Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Canada
    shoulder dislocation, 7 or 8 times.

it's quite umm...tender, and it has such a low range of motion now, and i am terrified of over exerting it, because i have never felt so much physical pain in my life then when my shoulder dislocated..

Basically, I mix a major muscle group with a minor group. I used to do chest/triceps, but i decided to change things up a lil bit. What I'm looking for now are some wicked awesome sit-up variations.

Undisclosed
    I never experienced stress on my shoulders from doing wide pushups. I feel more stress on the pecs. I don't have weights, so bodyweight and floor exercises are the only option for me. I do plan on constructing a sandbag for lifting. It will improve my grip strength as well as my upper body. Towel pullups work for that, too. I received a number of looks at the boxing gym while performing towel pullups. Nothing bad just curious looks. Gym owner described me as being hardcore. I need to pay them guys a visit soon.

United States
    WTF is with SoCal Loco ? Dude, you're giving SoCal a bad name. Chill out.

"eat healthy, exercise regularly, live wholesome, and die anyway"
    It isn't whether or not we all die one day; it's the qaulity of life you live.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I never experienced stress on my shoulders from doing wide pushups. I feel more stress on the pecs. I don't have weights, so bodyweight and floor exercises are the only option for me. I do plan on constructing a sandbag for lifting. It will improve my grip strength as well as my upper body. Towel pullups work for that, too. I received a number of looks at the boxing gym while performing towel pullups. Nothing bad just curious looks. Gym owner described me as being hardcore. I need to pay them guys a visit soon.
    I've always felt it more in my shoulders with a wider grip. i usually go shoulder width as it seems to be a nice middle ground between my shoulders and triceps and chest.

Towel cinups? never heard of em before, what are they good for (grip strength??) do they work the back as well as regular chin ups, and how would you safely do em? something i gotta try next time i'm at the gym.
    and btw, i hate decline benchpresses, my shorts kept coming down as i slid down the bench.

Undisclosed
    I have to correct you on something. Chinups and pullups are diffrent exercises that target diffrent muscle groups.
    Pullups: usually a wider grip and palms face out; targets most lats.
    Chinups: usually a narrower grip and palms face in; targets arms

Towel pullups: You hang a large towel over the middle of the bar. Grab each end of the towel and pull yourself up. It works the back, but also focuses on the fore arms and grip strength.

Canada
    it seems that chin-ups and pull-ups are just variations of each other however. I use both anyway, Depending on my mood, I switch my grip so as too work different parts on my back. I had it in my awesome weight lifting/exercise book, but i can't find it.

Good way to get my biceps pumped was to use narrow grip chin-ups, palms facing in towards me. Best bicep exercise i've done, i swear (plus it'd double for my back ones as well).

Is there not a danger of the towel ripping or tearing though when you do towel pull-ups?

and whats your diet like?

Undisclosed
    Use a bath towel that is in good shape. If necessary, twist the ends so it is like a rope. My diet is fairly clean for the most part. I do not eat fastfood on a regular basis. Maybe 1-4 times per year. In fact, I have never eaten at a Taco Bell. No lie. I used to gorge when I was younger, but no more. I eat to live not live to eat. When I am in serious training I stick with complex carbs and try my best to minimize if not eliminate simple carbs. It gets more complexed, especially, if I am trying to stay within a certain weight class.

Canada
    hmmm, do you take any supplements? like protien or anything?
    I am slowly getting my diet on track. Fast food is limited to once a week at most, and instead of munching on chocolate at work, i eat salad. really the only healthy, cheap thing there.

Undisclosed
    I'll add to this later. I have to attend class.

O.k., I'm back. I took a lot of supplements when I weight lifted years ago. High quality multi-vitamins, whey or egg & whey powders, creatine, L-glutamine, L-tyrosine, and L-arginine. Now days I've chilled on the supplements. I watch what I eat and take multi-vitamins.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 24-Jan-2008 at 03:45 AM.

Northern Ireland
    Stick to simple supps, Mo.

Essentials:

Whey Protein
    Fish oils
    multi-vit
    BCAA's (amino acids) (this is, IMO, the most under-used, yet essential supplement...)

Consider throwing in creatine, ZMA and glutamine, though I don't bother with them.

Oh and, not to try to shoot slickwilly down, I'd stay away from variations (like towel pullups) until you were 100% comfortable with standard exercises again...
    Last edited by paulannett; 24-Jan-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Canada
    is there a certain time to use em at?
    I dunno much about suppliments. And i am going to try towel pull-ups, just to say I can do em..just..not til next week.

Northern Ireland
    It all depends.

I take my fish oil capsule, multivit and BCAA scoop first thing in the morning.

I have a protein scoop first thing in the morning, right after my workout and before I go to bed.

Before I go to bed, I take a scoop of ZMA (a supposed testosterone booster, but it's a great sleep booster and also gives you ****ed up, but really great dreams).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post
    It all depends.

I take my fish oil capsule, multivit and BCAA scoop first thing in the morning.

I have a protein scoop first thing in the morning, right after my workout and before I go to bed.

Before I go to bed, I take a scoop of ZMA (a supposed testosterone booster, but it's a great sleep booster and also gives you ****ed up, but really great dreams).

paul's kids are gonna be able to say "my dad can beat up your dad" and mean it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    I have never used fish oils, but have used flax seed oil. But, I also consume a lot of fish.

Undisclosed
    Ok. Its been a while and hopefully this won't auto merge. I bought a $10 27.5" basketball at my local Sports Authority. A basketball can be used for diffrent things other than playing basketball. Which I do not play. Here are 2 things you can do.

1. assisted one arm pushups: Some people cannot do one arm pushups, but this will help. Place your hand on a basketball to help stablize you. I was doing them last night while watching the fights.

2. diamond pushups on a basketball: More challenging than regular diamond pushups, because you are at an incline and have to balance yourself.