Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Running zombies

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I wonder if anyone prefers the super zombies from the day remake.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I think that Night gave the zombies some extra-sensory perceptions. The secluded farmhouse could not have attracted the throngs of zombies that it did without something beyond mere sight and sound leading them. Just look at Johnny. He showed up near the end of the movie as a zombie. How did he find the farmhouse? He had no idea where Barbra went. He didn't know the area.
    The farmhouse was like 100 yards away from the graveyard. It would be the first thing Johnny and his gang would encounter while shambling down the street. It's not like finding it would be difficult.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    This is a fictional Horror monster, using fictional story points. The simple fact the dead are coming back to life and eating people is out there. If you can deal with that concept, nothing else should ever be questioned.
    Well let's just give them the ability to levitate then.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDilemma View Post
    Why stop there,how about zombies that can fly?

United States
    I thought they did, in the Day remake...?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I thought they did, in the Day remake...?

Yeah,but it was only one zombie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    Why stop there,how about zombies that can fly?
    see, i enjoyed marvel zombies just for that, the zombies were these superpowered undead and imagine being a normal person in that situation, with a zombified version of storm trashing your town.

that'd shat yer right up.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    This is a fictional Horror monster, using fictional story points. The simple fact the dead are coming back to life and eating people is out there. If you can deal with that concept, nothing else should ever be questioned.
    Spot on sir! Running zombies, shambling zombies, radar zombies and even smart zombies are all legitimate zombies...none are the "right kind" of zombie...we just have our own personal taste of what a fictional zombie should be like.

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDilemma View Post
    Because levitation is not a human capability to start with. Running & shuffling is a human capability.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 19-Aug-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Spot on sir! Running zombies, shambling zombies, radar zombies and even smart zombies are all legitimate zombies...none are the "right kind" of zombie...we just have our own personal taste of what a fictional zombie should be like.

Because levitation is not a human capability to start with. Running & shuffling is a human capability.
    Roaring like a velociraptor with demon eyes isn't either.

I know, we all have our different preferances, I respect that. I just can't buy that something that was once brain dead now has better functionality than I do and I'm only 26 years old. I can run pretty darn fast, but I honestly don't think I'd be much of a match for some of those sprinters in some of those movies.

United States
    Well, the dead don't get tired and don't need energy. If a zombie has (at least at first) the same basic biology as a human, why couldn't he run? The brain is actually still alive in some form for a while, and the Zeds in Dawn '04 popped right up after death. That gives very little time for the brain to shut down its synapsis(sp?) If the "virus" can keep the motor functions of the brain working, then until decomposition starts, the body could still do whatever it used to.

That being said, while I don't mind running zombies at all, I prefer the shambler.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Ya Clang's got it right in my opinion, if the zombies went through a normal cycle of death then the after 12 hours they would normally begin to have their muscles stiffen up under rigor mortis, this usually lasts for about 36 hours until the muscles relax. So basically it's:
    0 hour to 12 hour: Runner (if person was killed recently)
    12 hour to 36 hour: Shambler (Rigor Mortis stage)
    36 hour to beyond: Runner (Until decomposition sets in)
    At least that's my view on how they would be but another factor that some people over look is that accidents happen to normal people all the time it doesn't take much to trip and break an arm or an ankle, so with zombies carelessly running around and not having the ability to heal then at least a few would be unable to run or even walk.

United States
    This is a fun discussion. My take is we're all dancing around the same basic points.

On the one hand they are fictional so anything the author/writer desires is fair game. Running, jumping, virus, comet, gps radar, intelligent, etc.

On the other hand horror works better when it's grounded in something believable. As a viewer if you want me to come along for the ride you have to sell me something I can make sense of. The more I furrow my brow at your creation the less I'm going to be scared by it.

After much internal debate I've decided (at least for myself) that a running zombie doesn't cross the line of what a zombie is. They are still an animated dead body. Maybe not operating by the aged old rules, but still within the gross definition.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    gross definition.

a double entendre!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    If zombies can run and do everything else a living person can do, that means Universal Soldier was a zombie film.

Good thing Fran and the boys didn't run into Van Damme in that mall.

Undisclosed
    Shh.... don't say that. Next thing you know we'll have zombies with years of extensive military training and top of the line weaponry running around.