Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roger being bitten, who is to blame?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by lullubelle View Post
    He is my favorite character of Dawn, but it was his own fault, he was starting to loose it since the raid in the building (scene when Woolly goes berserk and Peter shoots him) it was a matter of time before he got careless, wonder how the story would have went if he had not gotten bitten.
    Roger is my favorite Dawn character as well, I think that biker gang would've paid a terrible price for raiding the mall if he hadn't got himself bitten.

As for the original question, I agree with those who say that Roger was "broken" from the begining of the movie...just look at the opening scene where he is predicting what the police chief will say to the tenants...he has been doing this for a while and already fraying at the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Every single time I watch the movie, I secretly hope he doesn't drop his tool belt and just chills out a smidge.
    I am happy that I am not the only person who does this!!!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 04-Oct-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    ...just look at the opening scene where he is predicting what the police chief will say to the tenants...he has been doing this for a while and already fraying at the edges.

How do you figure that? All that means is he's heard the same speil from the bossman a hundred times. We've all done the same thing Roger did there at some point, and we're not all crazy.

England
    I think he's tired of it all SRP, I think he's had enough.

Obviously, the first time I watched the movie, I didn't think this, and just thought he was the coolest person on earth, but the more I watch it, the more I feel that it is fitting that Roger will be the first of the group to go.

That's just my opinion, yours may differ.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    How do you figure that? All that means is he's heard the same speil from the bossman a hundred times. We've all done the same thing Roger did there at some point, and we're not all crazy.
    Who says we're not?? LOL
    We are discussing the mental stability of a movie character that was filmed 31 years ago!
    We may all be crazy but we are adorable.

United States
    A big part of Roger's character was his confidence, which led to his over-confidence. He approached the entire movie with an "I can handle it" stance. That came off really well early on. This guy was someone you wanted around.

Where he started to show his flaws was when the department store zombie jumped him. Instead of letting Peter help him he wrestled and struggled with the zombie himself. He was nearly bitten then but immediately afterward acted as if he had the entire situation under control. It was obvious he didn't.

The truck plan they put together was based on the over-confident belief they could handle the zombies. That's why they only had one bag and also why Roger was dangling himself out there.

Any idiot could've managed that plan better, but most idiots wouldn't have been nearly so confident going in. The simplest plan to retrieve the bag would've been to drive a couple of hundred yards away from the truck with the bag, get out, and lure the zombies away. They could then have one of them run to retrieve the bag when the area was more clear. Why they drove up to the truck and tried that silly bit where Roger climbed from window to window is beyond me.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Roger is my favorite Dawn character as well, I think that biker gang would've paid a terrible price for raiding the mall if he hadn't got himself bitten.

As for the original question, I agree with those who say that Roger was "broken" from the begining of the movie...just look at the opening scene where he is predicting what the police chief will say to the tenants...he has been doing this for a while and already fraying at the edges.

I am happy that I am not the only person who does this!!!
    Right on Legion, would have made for diffrent scenario if he would of made it
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

United States
    I think it's fair to say that the biker gang would've paid a high price if Roger had been with them, but what of the 4? Would Roger's over-confidence with the zombies have translated to suicide for them all against the bikers?

I loved Roger and hated to see him get bit, so my fan response is that Roger would've kicked some major biker @ss. But part of me recognizes that where Stephen got himself killed Roger might've gotten them all killed.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I never understood how the helicopter didn't have a radio? I always thought that all helicopters had radios in them. How else does the pilot stay in touch with HQ or whomever? Had I been Steven, I would have been listening to chatter on the radio the whole flight from Philly to Monroeville. Just a way to keep tabs on everything.

A Few people have mentioned the radio's here, just my take but of course the helicopter would of had a radio, but if anyone here has used one, they will know there's literally thousands of frequencies it can be set to, and the whole radio thing isnt planned, if you remember, roger turns on the radio in the truck cab and suprises peter with it, they didnt think the radios were there or working or whatever until they got into the trucks, and by then, there is no way to get a message back to flyboy to let him know what frequency.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    they had access to wood and tools, why not set up a perimeter fence around the mall and the truck depot? cuz i dont think zombies can scale fences in that movie

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    they had access to wood and tools, why not set up a perimeter fence around the mall and the truck depot? cuz i dont think zombies can scale fences in that movie
    Ok, but dont you think that would have taken them longer to do and have them exposed to the zombies more?

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I think it's fair to say that the biker gang would've paid a high price if Roger had been with them, but what of the 4? Would Roger's over-confidence with the zombies have translated to suicide for them all against the bikers?

I loved Roger and hated to see him get bit, so my fan response is that Roger would've kicked some major biker @ss. But part of me recognizes that where Stephen got himself killed Roger might've gotten them all killed.
    You got a point there, did not think of that one...
    Last edited by lullubelle; 06-Oct-2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    did you forget that they built a whole fake wall complete with paint and made a house upstairs in the storage space? 6 foot high fencing will take 90% less time

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Every single time I watch the movie, I secretly hope he doesn't drop his tool belt and just chills out a smidge ...
    I do that with so many movies, you hope against hope something bad won't happen that clearly is going to happen... movies never change in the middle. I kind of laugh at myself after the fact, but it just shows you how emotionally involved we become with these characters I guess.

I am not sure about the fence idea, I mean the truck plan was something you could do on the "fly" that did not take too much time to set up. Constructing a whole fence is going to take time and you are out in the open exposed.The mall was clear of zeds when they built the "cardboard wall" to hide the stairs. If anything though I would have made the mall much more "looter proof" removed wires so they couldn't be hot wired. Shot the engine full of holes from above... shot the tires. Something.

I love what everyone is saying about how better to go back and get the tools I never thought about that but the truck to truck transfer idea just wreaks of epic fail. So again kudos to all of you.

I imagine Peter could have been watching down the road for more zombies who might approach, and that is a possibility but let fly boy do that! Someone has to make sure Roger doesn't get chomped on! I secure my immediate surroundings first and then look outward.

United States
    A better choice for Flyboy and Peter would have been to take a break before going after the final truck. Head back to the mall to rest and regroup. It was too dangerous with Roger all out of control to go after the last one. Of course as they say hind sight is 20/20.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    did you forget that they built a whole fake wall complete with paint and made a house upstairs in the storage space? 6 foot high fencing will take 90% less time
    It would also take 9,000x more material. Which they likely do not have. It's a mall, not a lumberyard.

And it's easy to build a 5x7 piece of wall when the zombies are all locked outside. To build a fence, they'd have to be right out in the middle of them. We saw how that turned out when they went for the trucks.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think some of you fellas are forgetting that the wall in the hallway was built in case someone living found their way into the mall. I think Peter's line was something like "One day someone will come snooping around. We don't want them to even know that this hall exists". That's not a 100% accurate quote, but you get what I mean.

The trucks were for zombies alone. So they weren't meant to be deceiving....just keep the dead from getting leverage on the windows/doors. I always got the impression that they KNEW humans would one day make their way into the mall. So the hallway was deceiving, but the outside doors were only for keeping the dead at bay.

And as stated before, it would have been damn near impossible to construct a fence for the outer doors....