Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats the hate with the Star Wars Special Editions?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    He's still the coolest bounty hunter in the series. I mean...it's either him or that lizard dude in the yellow jumpsuit.
    Boba Fett most be one of the most overrated characters in the franchise. Seriously, him diying in ŽJediŽ is one of the things people bitch about. But, honestly what does it matter? HeŽs not really to relavant to the story. You could replace him with any other bounty hunter and it wouldnŽt make a difference. He does have a cool voice though. Sadly, that got changed too.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Good point, Ned. CGI is overplayed. Don't know when movies will really surprise me again.... sad thought, actually.
    ToD is my favorite Indy film, just because it's so funny!
    Crystal Skull was better than I thought it would be.

Christmas Island
    At least KOTCS didn't inspire Lucas to "tweak" the originals and, yeah, the fridge part was weak but so was the mine car jump or the raft air drop (repeated twice no less!) in ToD. Guess that's what makes Indy Indy.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Boba Fett most be one of the most overrated characters in the franchise. Seriously, him diying in ŽJediŽ is one of the things people bitch about. But, honestly what does it matter? HeŽs not really to relavant to the story. You could replace him with any other bounty hunter and it wouldnŽt make a difference. He does have a cool voice though. Sadly, that got changed too.
    He's just badass, man. That's all there is to it. He doesn't need to speak in order to get his point across. Seriously though...I just think his costume/suit is one of the coolest things in the trilogy. Cooler than Vader's even. The prequels and the backstory given to him kinda scale down how cool he was when he was still a mystery, though.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Boba Fett most be one of the most overrated characters in the franchise.
    Say that when he marches your scrawny ass before Darth Vader for a nice ol' force choke session.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was just thinking about what someone mentioned earlier in the thread and this has to be the biggest f*ck up Lucas could have made in these special editions:

I know it was done in the late 90's, but the cgi is horrible! Is it just me, or do Han's fingers disappear into Jabba's neck?!? And he "steps" on Jabba's tail. This scene was never needed in the story and there was absolutely no reason to include it in the special edition other than to show off their not-so-good CGI.

It's just horrible...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Jul-2009 at 04:22 PM.

United States
    He's just badass, man. That's all there is to it. He doesn't need to speak in order to get his point across. Seriously though...I just think his costume/suit is one of the coolest things in the trilogy.

I was just thinking about what someone mentioned earlier in the thread and this has to be the biggest f*ck up Lucas could have made in these special editions:

I know it was done in the late 90's, but the cgi is horrible! Is it just me, or do Han's fingers disappear into Jabba's neck?!? And he "steps" on Jabba's tail. This scene was never needed in the story and there was absolutely no reason to include it in the special edition other than to show off their not-so-good CGI.

It's just horrible...
    True. It was just cool to see the lost scene/footage to me though. I always wished they'ed added all the Bigg's stuff back in too. Dunno why, just would have like to see it included.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 10-Jul-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

It's just horrible...

Well, we'll just call that Lucas' NOTLD 30th anny edition. Because both films butchered classics and are littered with scenes that as you said they didn't need or displayed laughable "special" effects. (C'mon now, I know you haven't forgotten how they made hinzman up in that turd that quickly did ya?)

There's nothing special about those effects.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Say that when he marches your scrawny ass before Darth Vader for a nice ol' force choke session.
    Ya mean like, Captain Needa!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Ok, IŽll admit it. He does have a cool suit...and ship...and as, I stated voice...

About, that Jabba scene. Think Lucas will ever release the original version with Declan Mulholland? Probably not.
    Last edited by Doc; 14-Jul-2009 at 12:30 AM.

United States
    One good thing they did at least was got rid of THIS guy:

And replaced him with the REAL Emperor!:

Last edited by MoonSylver; 14-Jul-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    One good thing they did at least was got rid of THIS guy:

And replaced him with the REAL Emperor!:

Uhhh, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

The original Emperor was like an evil Ben Kenobi. That guy was scary, smart, and very cool. The ROTJ Emperor was a joke. A bad Fu Manchu imitation sans mustache.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 14-Jul-2009 at 05:12 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Uhhh, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

The original Emperor was like an evil Ben Kenobi. That guy was scary, smart, and very cool. The ROTJ Emperor was a joke. A bad Fu Manchu imitation sans mustache.

Bah. Ian McDiarmid rules. Every line rolls off his tongue dripping w/ evil, scorn & contempt. Bug eyed alien guy? He sounds like a bored narcoleptic on downers. No think you sir. Ian McDiarmid kicked ass.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think the "original" Emperor sounds as if he's much more in control of stuff than Ian McDiarmid does. I actually always thought that he was a bit cooler. I could never really buy into that Ian McDiarmid's emperor was an... Emperor! He seemed a bit too loony for me.

Ireland
    Whats the hate with the Star Wars Special Editions?
    Because the changes were bloody awful for the most part and completely un-necessary.

Putting Jabba in 'A New Hope' was pointless (other than satisfying a bug bear that Lucas had since 1977). He looks crap too. The puppet in the original 'Return of the Jedi' is far more realistic. It simply takes from the overall film.

The "Greedo shoots first" idea was also a truly terrible idea and weakens Han Solo's character considerably. Harrison Ford's character is easilly the best one in the entire series, even if he does turn into a pussy at the end. But making Greedo shoot first just destroys the entire scene. It simply looks unrealisticm whereas the original looked fine.

The souped up space battle at the end though, was a good idea and helped flesh out that particular scene.

Apart from Luke's squeal, there was nothing to bad about 'The Empre Strikes Back'.

But, 'Return of the Jedi' was absolutely raped by Lucas. That musical number in Jabba's palace was terrible. Absolutely terrible. And the decision to replace the dead characters at the end, plus getting rid of the original Ewok song "nub nub" (or whatever) was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Also, my take on CGI...

CGI has to be subtle. It should be incidental. Also, it should obey the laws of reality and that's where it falls over quite often.

The "new" 'Star Wars' trilogy was ruined by its CGI saturation. People doing ridiculous things that were phyiscally impossible (even for Jedi's ). It just destroyed the suspension of disbelief. Especially that awful, awful Yoda fight with Darth Bollox (or whatever he was called). A terrible idea, poorly executed and the stupid pod race scene. Ugh...

Likewise the fridge scene in Indy 4. I simply couldn't believe my eyes. Simple fact is, even though Indy can survive going under a truck in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', or survive a split rope bridge in 'Temple of Doom', there is a chance (albeit slim) of getting through those kind of scrapes. But, you just would NOT survive being thrown through the air by a nuclear explosion...in a fridge. The impact on the ground alone would have killed anyone.

It's just a bad decision.

Another thing about CGI...everything looks too new. With the use of models in the original 'Star Wars' trilogy, everything looked used and dirty. Things looked like they had a function. The Milenium Falcon looked like a bit of equipment that might actually fly.

Compare that to the shiny space ship in 'The Phantom Menace'.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 14-Jul-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I think the "original" Emperor sounds as if he's much more in control of stuff than Ian McDiarmid does. I actually always thought that he was a bit cooler. I could never really buy into that Ian McDiarmid's emperor was an... Emperor! He seemed a bit too loony for me.
    Of course he's loony...he's a Sith Lord!

Seriously though, I found him to be quite scheming & devious, along with twisted & evil. That was one of the GOOD things about Ep's 1-3 is that you REALLY get a good look at Palpatine & his rise to power. I thought that part was handled extremely well & that McDiarmid was really great in the part.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Another thing about CGI...everything looks too new. With the use of models in the original 'Star Wars' trilogy, everything looked used and dirty. Things looked like they had a function. The Milenium Falcon looked like a bit of equipment that might actually fly.

Compare that to the shiny space ship in 'The Phantom Menace'.
    Eh...back in that era, of the pre-Empire, everything WAS new & shiny, so I would think that was more of a visual style choice. In the Republic every thing looks bright & utopia like vs the run down, darker looking Empire.

Plus it's the ship of the Queen of Naboo vs a broken down freighter owned by a smuggler, so I would expect one to look newer & shinier than the other.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 14-Jul-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost