Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats the hate with the Star Wars Special Editions?

United States

Whats the hate with the Star Wars Special Editions?

I never really got that. Sure some alternations are distracting but, its not like they are changing the plot or continuity.

Please don't think I'm a little kid who just likes, the new editions and the prequels because they have 'better effects'. I do prefer the original theartical versions of the films more but, I do admit seeing the SEs more because of better quality. The way I see though, the fanbases hate of the SEs is really overblown....then again, I didn't grow up in the 70s and 80s with SW....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When you take anything as iconic and loved as Star Wars and start tinkering with it....of course people are going to be mad. I think what REALLY pisses off most of the fans is that Lucas refuses to release the original films on any new formats. So from now on, all people can view are the special editions.

I don't have a huge problem with what Lucas did. Some of it didn't need to be changed and some of it works well, but just like you said....in the end it's the same film.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    anyone see the episode of south park where they remade all the old movies and replaced the guns with cell phones? I guess that's how people feel
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have the originals on DVD... They came as part of the TIN boxset from 2 years ago I bought at Best Buy

it included on disc 1 SE, and on disc 2 the Original Cuts
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its a crazy old man lucas movie?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think what REALLY pisses off most of the fans is that Lucas refuses to release the original films on any new formats. So from now on, all people can view are the special editions.
    Actually, the original versions have been out on DVD for some time now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I didn't realize the original films were on DVD. Last I heard, Lucas went on record as saying the Special Editions ARE the films now and he wouldn't release the originals.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yep, 2 years now Bassman, at least 2 years. however, they are from Digibeta transfers and look like shit, but still they are on DVD
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    When you take anything as iconic and loved as Star Wars and start tinkering with it....of course people are going to be mad.

Exactly. Just Imagine if someone took something equally as iconic a Star Wars like say.... Night of the living dead and started tinkering with it making it an....unwatchable.....stomach turning...hot....mess. HEY!!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!! RUSSO ALREADY DID THAT !!! My bad.

Yeah so how did that feel?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's a perfect example!

But I think we can all agree that Lucas didn't f*ck up the original trilogy as bad as Russo f*cked up Night.

United States
    I really didn't have TOO much of a problem with the changes in the special edition, with the very large exception of the very end on Jedi.

Replacing David Prowse with stupid Hayden Christensen was unforgivable. And it made no freakin' sense!! Why didn't they replace Alec Guiness with McGregor while they were at it!??!? Ohhhhh that still makes me mad.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Exactly. Just Imagine if someone took something equally as iconic a Star Wars like say.... Night of the living dead and started tinkering with it making it an....unwatchable.....stomach turning...hot....mess. HEY!!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!! RUSSO ALREADY DID THAT !!! My bad.

Yeah so how did that feel?
    Never seen the 30th annivesary just clips here and there. I was thinking of actually buying it but, negative response is so strong against the edition I decided not to.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post

Replacing David Prowse with stupid Hayden Christensen was unforgivable. And it made no freakin' sense!! Why didn't they replace Alec Guiness with McGregor while they were at it!??!? Ohhhhh that still makes me mad.
    Yeah, whats up with that? Lucas gave some crap explaination for it but ,I can't remember though.

While, we're on the subject on Jedi don't forget 'Jedi Rocks'.

I have no problem with the song itself but, the horrible cgi thats a different story.

But, other than those alternations nothing really bothers me much. The one that confuses me til this day though...is the Who Shot First one?

Can some explain this to me? What does it matter who shot first? So, Han shoots first so what? What does it prove? He's a faster draw?
    Last edited by Doc; 07-Jul-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    As for "Who Shot First", in the original version Han Solo shoots first and asks questions later. It's an important part of his character introduction. But when you have him shooting in self-defence, that also changed the character introduction... And the character.

United States
    I didn't HATE them. Some changes were cool, some were *meh* & some I did hate, so it was uneven overall. The Jabba scene was a bit cool in ep.4.

Oddly, some of the things I hated worst were very minor changes.

As Luke falls: "Aaaahhhhhhh...."= Lame.

Vader (after Luke falls original) "Bring my shuttle!" (delivered in voice full of barely controlled rage & fury) New: "Prepare my shuttle for immediate departure." (Delivered in a voice full of bored courtesy & politeness)= Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I really didn't have TOO much of a problem with the changes in the special edition, with the very large exception of the very end on Jedi.

Actually, they replaced Sebastian Shaw. Prowse was the "man in the suit": he got no face time.

I saw what they were going for with it: you want him to match up w/ the actor who played him. Fair enough. Obviously he's going to be un-scarred & undamaged. But why didn't they age him any? Anakin "died" in the figurative sense when he became Vader, not literally. He was a middle aged man when he died. They could've aged him up a bit (or just left Sebastian Shaw in there...)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    As for "Who Shot First", in the original version Han Solo shoots first and asks questions later. It's an important part of his character introduction. But when you have him shooting in self-defence, that also changed the character introduction... And the character.
    Yup, that's why Lucas changed it. I still think it's lame though. In the original, I Had no problem w/ Han shooting first. You know Greedo has the drop on him, you know he's getting ready to shoot Han, it's not like Han had him unarmed & helpless & gunned him down in cold blood or anything, so really, unnecessary IMO, plus it kinda detracts from the Han-outwitting-him part of it.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 07-Jul-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Indeed. . .I forgot that one. Yeah, that was a crappy change too. I much prefer Han shooting first.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."