Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    The title sounds retarded... Just call it ... Of the Dead
    see, i figured, given the plot it was a play on the old adage about not speaking "ill of the dead" when a recent family members died and there spirits not left the home yet.

totally should have stuck with it anyway.

capncnut
    I think a return to origins is in order:

Isle of the Living Dead

Or how about a true reboot:

Dead Shores
    Coast Of The Dead
    Deadly Sands

LOL!!!

Or god forbid:

Diary Of The Dead II

All of which are better than ...Of The Dead IMO.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I thought ....of the dead - was an amazingly clever title - Didn't george say in Lee Kar's interview that the studios choose the name?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Dead Shores
    Coast Of The Dead
    Deadly Sands

Those sound like 3 new campaigns for Left 4 Dead !

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    romero is returning to form after that diary weirdness.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    romero is returning to form after that diary weirdness.

First off, dude where the hell have YOU been!?!

Welcome back.

Well, I don't know about that seeing as all we have to go on is a ridiculous name and a shitty trailer. But I hold out hope that it'll be good. In any case you know i'll be there on day 1. (sounds like a campaign slogan doesn't it? )

I would love for GAr to have one more masterpiece. If for nothing more than to put a new generation on to him. These kids today don't even know who GAr is. They do recognize some of his work though.

I'm picturing a Carlos Santana type resurgence back in 99'-2000. When he came out with that album it made alot of people curious about his previous work and that enjoyed a resurgence as well.

That's exactly what happened to me when I first heard Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen when watching wayne's World. "I was like who the hell are these guys." It made me listen to their other songs and today i lkie them very much. I would like to see the same happen for GAr.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, I don't know about that seeing as all we have to go on is a ridiculous name and a shitty trailer.
    That trailer shouldn't have been released by Voltage it was all pre-editing, color and sound correcting. but hey it was something and I'll take what I can get.

And once again, what does it matter what its called. I mean shouldn't we be upset that every movie after NOTLD doesn't have the word Living in it? That means every film afterwards doesn't fit in his "title scheme."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Monrozombi View Post

And once again, what does it matter what its called. I mean shouldn't we be upset that every movie after NOTLD doesn't have the word Living in it? That means every film afterwards doesn't fit in his "title scheme."
    While I agree that it does not matter what it is called, having "living" in the title was the work of Walter Reade Organization, not GAR who's original title was "Night of the Flesheaters" after he changed it from "Night of the Anubis"
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    First off, dude where the hell have YOU been!?!

Welcome back.

Well, I don't know about that seeing as all we have to go on is a ridiculous name and a shitty trailer. But I hold out hope that it'll be good. In any case you know i'll be there on day 1. (sounds like a campaign slogan doesn't it? )

I would love for GAr to have one more masterpiece. If for nothing more than to put a new generation on to him. These kids today don't even know who GAr is. They do recognize some of his work though.

I'm picturing a Carlos Santana type resurgence back in 99'-2000. When he came out with that album it made alot of people curious about his previous work and that enjoyed a resurgence as well.

That's exactly what happened to me when I first heard Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen when watching wayne's World. "I was like who the hell are these guys." It made me listen to their other songs and today i lkie them very much. I would like to see the same happen for GAr.

oh ya know, been around

i truly hope he's experiencing a resurgence in popularity because it should have already happened by now. i still will never understand how they give a remake of his films a bigger budget than a new movie he'd film of the same genre

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Monrozombi View Post
    That trailer shouldn't have been released by Voltage it was all pre-editing, color and sound correcting. but hey it was something and I'll take what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    oh ya know, been around

i truly hope he's experiencing a resurgence in popularity because it should have already happened by now. i still will never understand how they give a remake of his films a bigger budget than a new movie he'd film of the same genre

I'm fairly certain that he could get that type of deal from a studio this second if he wanted to but he just won't play ball with them.

One of the little discussed aspects of GAr's career is all the films he either turned down or , for one reson or another, didn't follow through on.

If he did his portfolio would probably be twice as big.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    I'm fairly certain that he could get that type of deal from a studio this second if he wanted to but he just won't play ball with them.

One of the little discussed aspects of GAr's career is all the films he either turned down or , for one reson or another, didn't follow through on.

sounds about right

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Personally....I'm proud of the man for sticking to his guns and not bowing down to "the man". For the most part he's always made the film that he wanted to make and that's something that very few directors can claim.

Twitching

United States
    Umm,
    How would GAR even write a non-zombie movie? He's become so extreme with sacrificing plot depth to make room for social commentary (which is easier in gore-splash horror) that I just can't see that behavior panning out in any other drama.

Oh, and I'm going to go ahead and nip the resulting knee-jerk comment in the bud. If you're one of those who DOESN'T think GAR has been bludgeoning us with overdone poorly disguised caricatures of social commentary for the last 2 movies, keep it to yourself.

I mean, I feel for ANY artist that finds themselves typecast in any way. My sympathy is somewhat lessened for Romero because his own decisions had a lot to do with it happening, but it's still there. Whoever said that producers aren't going to put big money behind a guy whose only significant success (so far as the mainstream is concerned) have been zombie flicks hit the nail on the head. We don't have to like that, but we do have to accept it

Now, I'm just hoping he didn't make all the mistakes of Land (gigantic plotholes that destroy the suspension of disbelief that these weird island community members could never have survived this long being so reckless with "live" zombies, aka piss-poor in-plot security depictions) + Diary's (gimmicky, scenes that aim for shocking/jarring and just end up coming off weird and a bit sad)

The original Day is my least favorite of the original trilogy, but if he could even make one more movie that rose to even Day's level that would be wonderful for so many reasons, including turning a younger generation on to his work like a previous poster described. I get a bad feeling when I find he's making an entire movie based on the weird behavior of the people in the apartment building at the beginning of Dawn, but hope it's much less gimmicky in practice than it appears atm.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Oh, and I'm going to go ahead and nip the resulting knee-jerk comment in the bud. If you're one of those who DOESN'T think GAR has been bludgeoning us with overdone poorly disguised caricatures of social commentary for the last 2 movies, keep it to yourself.
    Why? Are those kind of opinions not accepted here, or do you suffer from a rare disease which causes you to blow up and explode should someone mention it?

Twitching

United States
    Not really,
    Just didn't see any productivity in it becoming a debate about whether GAR is or isn't sacrificing plot depth & quality in favor of his embedded social commentary.

I mean, Survival COULD be good, but the synopsis scenario has a telltale indicator odor that GAR *might* go too far with the social commentary. Chaining zombies in houses as parodies of their former lives is interesting in a macabre way, but take the screenshot of the guy getting chewed on by a female zombie inside a house that's wearing lengthy chains on her arms...

Why would someone go INSIDE? Not even the need for cover from automatic weapons fire could induce me to enter a house I KNEW contained one or more zombies. I worry that GAR may fall back on a shared delusion amongst the pro-zombie islanders...such as "Oh, my undead mother would never hurt me ::chomp::"

In the end though it's another Of the Dead movie. Even a bad one is better than nothing (unless it's as bad or worse than Diary).