Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason why we need a Halo movie...

Super Moderator

UK

Another reason why we need a Halo movie...

The live action Halo 3: ODST trailer...

With this, and Neill Blomkamp's live movie teaser trials, how can the Halo movie still be farting around in development hell? I mean come on.

It's like the visual "wow" factor of Saving Private Ryan, but in a fictional warzone with aliens in it, so you don't feel guilty about being impressed.

United States
    It's definitely reaches new heights as far as videogame ads go, it's a real shame that things between Blomkamp and Microsoft fizzled to a halt. I posted that vid in the ODST Firefight thread, but here's an extended version with about an extra minute of introductory/war footage:

*fapfapfapfap*

Super Moderator

UK
    *fapfapfapfap*
    Damn straight.

*runs off to his own corner*

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Meh - s'alright.

Never really "got" whatever it was that Halo stand out from other shooters. Just plays like a decent, albeit ultra-generic FPS.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not so sure a Halo movie would be that great. Don't get me wrong...I liked the games, but I just don't see a movie working out as well. It would probably just be all visuals with no substance...

Not to mention the aliens already look ridiculous in the game, so they would look even worse in a live action/cgi environment...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    tbh I thought that was pretty shallow....visually very impressive but terribly performed and edited.

They can make all the live action movies they want, I want a good game here, and Bungie have trouble delivering a perfect package.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll clarify that I'm not much of a Halo videogame fan. I played the first, thought it was okay but nout more, only played the 4-player multiplayer stuff for Halo 2 with mates, and got Halo 3 for the 360 and played it once.

But Blomkamp's teasers looked kick ass. I'm sure they could come up with a compelling story from the entire Halo-verse quite easily, it's just that for a number of us, the games were never gripping to play. So I think a Halo movie could work nicely.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Meh - s'alright.

Never really "got" whatever it was that Halo stand out from other shooters. Just plays like a decent, albeit ultra-generic FPS.
    I think at the time it was released it stood out quite a lot from the other FPS games doing the rounds, the setting & design was very different from anything else! I didnt get to play it till a few years after release though as I never had a PC powerful enough, i enjoyed it then but by that time i'd played things like call of duty & Quake 4 so it didnt blow me away like it obviously did the previous generation of gamers

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I think it was one of the first games where you had just two weapons to hold rather than cycling through a huge collection of 'em...it was all about choices and making sure you had the right tools for the job. Still the environments became repetitive and the enemies are a bit "meh"...the grunts for instance add an element of comedy to it which I think is completely unneeded.

Still the mixture of driving, flying, and shooting elements brought a lot of variation in the outside levels...the scifi itself is well written and solid....but the single player to Halo 2? So boring it's unwordable. Halo 3 was a bit better but by and large you never got the feeling of something bigger happening around you like in the original game.

having said that the multiplayer is always the shining element of Halo's franchise. Very fun and addictive...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah those battle portions look cool, your forgetting one crucial factor.

the story to halo is shit

take a faceless, emotionless man who could easily be replaced with a green fridge on wheels and tape a knife to its door who is pointed in a direction and told "kill the fuck out of anything that moves- CHECK

bullshit cop-out alien technology from an ancient, mysteriously vanished civilization like almost every anime from the 1980's - CHECK

generic enemy types they feel you are so stupid that they actually need to make them different sizes and bright colors for your feeble human mind to cope with - CHECK

headcrabs to shake up the game when they realize the covenant has no "final boss" to fight and the plot is actually going nowhere - CHECK

repetition - corridors, set pieces, endings, whatever they cant be arsed to create - CHECK

Halo is asinine, it treats you like an idiot and the best defense hardcore halo fanboys come up with are "-but the multiplayer" -and that isnt very good either.
    Come on, the fps genre is growing more generic by the year and halo is one of the worst offenders, seriously, left 4 dead seems brainless but zombie fandom aside its been put together in a very clever way. In many ways its the antithesis of halo, everything is shown to you and explained in a perfectly subtle way.
    Halo on the other hand is copy and pasted corridors going into copy and pasted canyons AKA corridors minus a roof, the whole series is room with a fight, corridor/ driving path- repeat for 3 games.???.profit!!!
    The battles could looks good on screen sure, im certain of that. Thing is, thats ALL that it will have going for it, i even read the bloody books in a search for some semblance of plot in this series and im telling you ITS NOT THERE.
    I could ramble on but its a simple game that should be burned and salted and forgotten, i want to give those guys behind escape from city 17 a budget for half life compared to this crap.

and with that flame on.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah...it's a generic FPS but so is L4D and GOW, but people are still creaming their pants over those for some reason....

Other than that I pretty much agree with you but still enjoyed the three HAlo games.
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Sep-2009 at 12:37 PM.

capncnut
    I actually really enjoy the Halo series because I love the gameplay and atmosphere. Admittedly, the third episode is a very gloomy and underachieving entry but I love the first game so much.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    cant wait for halo 3, halo 2 rocked ass and the twist after the credits (wont spoil it) combined with the 3rd games trailer really makes me want to skip a year to 2007.
    but it still wasnt the best xbox fps that title belongs to a tie between halo and half life 2.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I actually really enjoy the Halo series because I love the gameplay and atmosphere. Admittedly, the third episode is a very gloomy and underachieving entry but I love the first game so much.

yeah i liked it back then, but if you remember not long after i also gave very little of a shit over halo 3, 2 was a mid point i still say is the best in the series, a series they finished with a rehash of the first that i found very underwhelming, i dont get your point, your saying im wrong because i was excited during the build up for a game series i hadnt finished yet?, so that means im wrong about it in retrospection?
    Theres plenty of things at the time i thought were good that i look back on as shit, i USED to think friends was funny, now i think its shit, in retrospection im loooking back at something i was caught up in and really liked then, and seriously, at the time name a better xbox fps other than half life?, call of duty and thats it. since then weve had better and i dont see why i cant say its shit now, because it is.
    Every game has people during the build up excited, thats because we have not played it yet, now i have and know better, quoting a three year old quote about a game that did not exist for me to play at the time does not make my points invalid.
    Last edited by Danny; 10-Sep-2009 at 01:05 PM.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i dont get your point, your saying im wrong because i was excited during the build up for a game series i hadnt finished yet?, so that means im wrong about it in retrospection?
    I'm not saying anything, dear chap. I was merely quoting.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I'm not saying anything, dear chap. I was merely quoting.

but am i wrong dude- AM I WRONG?!?