Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things you DON'T want to see in 'The Walking Dead'...

Ireland

Things you DON'T want to see in 'The Walking Dead'...

...that was in the original source material.

Right...there's been a lot of yap ( ) about how the series is going to stay true to the source an yadda, yadda, yadda...

...BUT. There are some things in 'The Walking Dead' that I would personally drop from the onscreen version, if I had my way.

THIS THREAD WILL HAVE SPOILERS, SO BUGGER OFF OF THAT'S A PROBLEM!!!

1. Zombies chowing down on horses. Don't like the whole "other food source" angle. I know some people don't care, but it don't sit well with me. "Can't find a human? ah fuck it...hey look, there's a cow...there's another! To hell with the humans."

"Ugh, can't move now...I'm stuffed."

2. Zombies eating deer meat. Like the above, how did he catch it in the first place? It could have been crippled earlier I s'pose...but...mmmmmmm.

3. If I recall correctly, human characters at one point disguised themselves by "stinking themselves up" like zombies. They were then able to walk among the living dead without being attacked. Until the rain came that is and washed the smell off.

Now, out of the three points above, I think the 3rd is the most ridiculous and was a REALLY bad move on behalf of Kirkman. He didn't repeat the event thank god. He probably realised himself that it was a bit hokey. Ever smell damp clothes? Smells don't "wash off" that well in rain. Clothes will still stink. More so in some cases. Also, it implies that the living dead have great olfactory senses and can distinguish a non-dead smelling human amongst loads of dead smelling humans...which is of course, silly.

In any case, it was just a very bad bit of writing, in an otherwise excellent stretch and somewhat forgivable because it was the early days of the comic. However, such scenes do set a precedent of sorts and it's not clever to do. Kirkman seems to have quietly dropped that angle in later issues.

Anyway, is there other stuff that you don't think should travel from the comic to the series?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Oh, I don't know. Although what you're saying is undoubtedly rooted in the laws of the Romero universe, this is a different show with different rules all its own. I know they are using Romero's original NOTLD as inspiration, but remember, it's NOT Romero, so to veer slightly away from what Romero did is kinda refreshing to me. They're still staying very close to the original zombie lore. Heck, even Romero is changing some things by shaking up some of his own laws in his own "universe" by having the dead eat a horse in Survival. I, for one, am glad to be surprised a little by seeing slightly different aspects of a zombie apocalypse from a new and fresh angle while sticking closely to the basic roots. It makes me wonder "what's next"? Times change, people change, to fit the times and to keep new ideas on the table to save the genre from growing too stagnant. Just my take on it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Mmmmm, creating a self-fulfilling death spiral of prognostagitive negativity, eh?

Okay, aliens. That's the one thing I don't want to see.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Mmmmm, creating a self-fulfilling death spiral of prognostagitive negativity, eh?

Okay, aliens. That's the one thing I don't want to see.
    Not read issue 75 yet?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ...that was in the original source material.

Right...there's been a lot of yap ( ) about how the series is going to stay true to the source an yadda, yadda, yadda...

...BUT. There are some things in 'The Walking Dead' that I would personally drop from the onscreen version, if I had my way.

THIS THREAD WILL HAVE SPOILERS, SO BUGGER OFF OF THAT'S A PROBLEM!!!

1. Zombies chowing down on horses. Don't like the whole "other food source" angle. I know some people don't care, but it don't sit well with me. "Can't find a human? ah fuck it...hey look, there's a cow...there's another! To hell with the humans."

"Ugh, can't move now...I'm stuffed."

2. Zombies eating deer meat. Like the above, how did he catch it in the first place? It could have been crippled earlier I s'pose...but...mmmmmmm.

3. If I recall correctly, human characters at one point disguised themselves by "stinking themselves up" like zombies. They were then able to walk among the living dead without being attacked. Until the rain came that is and washed the smell off.

Now, out of the three points above, I think the 3rd is the most ridiculous and was a REALLY bad move on behalf of Kirkman. He didn't repeat the event thank god. He probably realised himself that it was a bit hokey. Ever smell damp clothes? Smells don't "wash off" that well in rain. Clothes will still stink. More so in some cases. Also, it implies that the living dead have great olfactory senses and can distinguish a non-dead smelling human amongst loads of dead smelling humans...which is of course, silly.

In any case, it was just a very bad bit of writing, in an otherwise excellent stretch and somewhat forgivable because it was the early days of the comic. However, such scenes do set a precedent of sorts and it's not clever to do. Kirkman seems to have quietly dropped that angle in later issues.

Anyway, is there other stuff that you don't think should travel from the comic to the series?
    I'm pretty sure in issue 27 they talk about stinking themselves up again. But then something worse than the Zombies showed up. :/

As long as they change some of the laughable dialogue, I will be fine with anything else. I can only hear about how much the RV smells so much, ya' know?

United States
    .... He didn't repeat the event thank god. He probably realised himself that it was a bit hokey. Ever smell damp clothes? Smells don't "wash off" that well in rain. Clothes will still stink. More so in some cases. Also, it implies that the living dead have great olfactory senses and can distinguish a non-dead smelling human amongst loads of dead smelling humans...which is of course, silly.?
    Well. . . .Michonne had her chained up pet zombies for the same reason. To mask her scent. So it was a factor later on too. I didn't have a problem with it.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Ireland
    Hmmm...I do. I don't like the idea of zombies being able to sniff out their food. It might be forgivable in a comic, but as an onscreen plot device, it'll come off as stupid.

I can't see it working out well.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    There are set pictures of 1 and 3 already.

Horse being eaten:

Rick and Glenn in zombie stink:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hmmm...I do. I don't like the idea of zombies being able to sniff out their food. It might be forgivable in a comic, but as an onscreen plot device, it'll come off as stupid.

I can't see it working out well.
    Logically zombies shouldn't even be breathing let alone smelling/sniffing things out.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United Kingdom
    Zombie animals. Don't want to see any Resident Evil-type dogs or some shit. I couldn't care less about zombies eating animals, they did it in NOTLD, for cryin' out loud.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the first post properly. I'm a dumbass.

(Still NO to Zanimals!)
    Last edited by Ghost Of War; 02-Sep-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    So basically you all want the same "give me a romero rules driven thing and i will reject anything different". Lovely. This is why this subgenre is stagnating and going nowhere.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know there's trouble afoot when people are complaining before having seen a single episode.

Forget what I "dont want to see". I just want to be entertained.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Zombie animals. Don't want to see any Resident Evil-type dogs or some shit. I couldn't care less about zombies eating animals, they did it in NOTLD, for cryin' out loud.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the first post properly. I'm a dumbass.

(Still NO to Zanimals!)
    Just because it happened in night doesn't make it a good idea.

It was stupid then and it's stupid now.

There's also a difference between them settling for animals when there aren't humans around and using animals exclusively as an alternative food source which is where Gar was trying to go in survival.

This is not a day or land thing 3-5 years into the plauge where there are no humans left and they have to settle for another food source.

To use your term: This is 6 DAYS into the outbreak. Very bad uncle george.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    So basically you all want the same "give me a romero rules driven thing and i will reject anything different". Lovely. This is why this subgenre is stagnating and going nowhere.
    He's no longer the standard being that his rules now also suck, imo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    I almost started a thread a month or so back about how many people will be disappointed because they've over-hyped the project in their own minds, but I thought it'd be too wet blanket of me to do so. Never fear, there's always a wet blanket to be had eventually on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You know there's trouble afoot when people are complaining before having seen a single episode.

Forget what I "dont want to see". I just want to be entertained.
    Thank you both for further crystallizing my thoughts on the matters, gents. No need for self sabotage of what may be a thoroughly enjoyable zombie yarn. The books are great as is (most here who have read them can agree on that), if they stick somewhat to that framework and characterization then this will be a capital endeavor. Most capital, indeed. By jingo!

<implacable Teddy Roosevelt smiley goes here>

Last edited by AcesandEights; 02-Sep-2010 at 02:28 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United Kingdom
    Um, no. I just don't like the idea of zombie animals. Anything else new I can take. Dawn '04 runners, nazi zombies hunting for lost gold, zombie strippers, whatever. Just think animals make lame zombies.

Anyway, fuck it, I'm cranky tonight, and I didn't even answer the OP properly, so I'm going to bed.
    Kill 'em All