Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angry Videogame Nerd: Castlevania Retrospective

United States
    i'm tellin ya, i was there from the first castlevania, and that's always gonna be my fave. i'd buy that shit in a heartbeat if it was a 5 dollar XBLA title. heard it's available on the wii, but i don't own one of those. symphony of the night, super castlevania 4, and castlevania 3 are also some of my fave old school games.

i never even knew there was an castlevania n64 title, by that point i'd already jumped on the playstation bandwagon thanks to a little game called resident evil.

as a matter of fact, the first time i even heard about a castlevania on the n64 was less than a month ago, cuz the chick i was dating at the time had the system and a few games. i played it for about 10 minutes and wasn't impressed.

United States

United States
    man, that was a great retrospective. castlevania is probably my all-time favorite video games series...haven't played many of the recent titles, but the first 3 on NES, the SNES one, and symphony of the night are all classics to me.

they really don't make 'em like that any more. i really wish they'd port the NES ones over to XBLA....i'd buy that shit in a heartbeat.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    they really don't make 'em like that any more. i really wish they'd port the NES ones over to XBLA....i'd buy that shit in a heartbeat.

As long s Nintendo is still a semi functioning entity i highly doubt it.

It sucks that business gets in the way of what the fans really want. It's sort of like Boxing where the superfight everyone wants to see never gets made because of internal boxing poilics.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    when i got my wii, the castlevania games were a must-have for my system. so far, i've beat the original and the SNES super castlevania 4. working on c3 but haven't bothered much wtih c2 yet. also have rondo of blood to play once i get the time.

god, what great series...not too sure what to expect from the new one, but i think i may end up getting it (once the price drops, of course. 60 bucks is too expensive for any game, if you ask me.)

United States
    well, the search feature is still fucked. wasn't sure if there's a thread about the upcoming castlevania game, so i figured i'd put this here:

i was pretty pumped about this game at first, given that the original games up to symphony hold a special place in my gaming heart, but the more that's been released about this game, the less interest i have....and this trailer officially killed my desire to play this. it's in japanese, but subtitled:

anyway, as i said, this seemed promising, but there's just so much going on in this that's NOT the castlevania that i know and love...while change can be a good thing at times, this is looking pretty corny. i wonder why they are even going ahead and calling it castlevania, cuz from what i heard, this started off as something else and they just slapped the name on there to get people like me interested. but gargantuan eagles that talk to you like the dog from never-ending story, dancing chubracapas, semi-normal dudes carrying axes the size of trees around, etc...aren't quite what i think of when i recall how great the earlier games were.

fuck this game, i'm done following it. this is going down with all the terminator sequels, all the RE games after raccoon city, and so many other needless sequels as something non-cannon that will never fit in with the originals in my book.

United States
    Eh, looks good to me. This might actually be the first 3D Castlevania game worth buying. I just hope with Kojima mixed in with the production there won't be more cutscenes than gameplay.

Sure, you don't play as Alucard or Belmont, but after a dozen or more 2D games over the past 20 years, you'd think people would want some fresh ideas.

United States
    well, after being thoroughly let down by CoD:BO, i got crafty and worked a couple of loopholes and managed to get a new copy of this new castlevania game. so far, i'm quite liking what i've played so far and look forward to enjoying this title.

definitely not the traditional castlevania game, but a great and epic adventure with whips, demons, monsters and amazing levels, so it's on the right track.

United States
    Glad your enjoying it Prof, keep the impressions coming!

United States
    so far, i'm only on chapter 2, but each chapter has a handful (or more) of levels. each level has secrets and collectibles, some of which can't be reached till you gain new abilities later on.

the combat is intense, you've gotta do lots of counters, dodges, and mix the attacks up to inflict major damage. xp points can buy you more combos and moves, which is an awesome feature. some of the attacks are very impressive looking.

as far as the graphics, they're pretty neat. little nitpicky things can be found, but overall, it's a great-looking game. loads of action, some puzzles, platforming, and a huge boss fight so far on just the first level.

very impressed. doesn't really gel with the older games, but this is probably what the developers would have done if the technology had been available. the origin of this character and the timeframe could even make this a prequel of sorts to the later games, not just a reboot. still, it feels very removed from the traditional castlevania universe.

i played the demo at first but didn't give it much of a chance and wasn't terribly impressed, but i was probably not giving it enough time, as this game has really grown on me. when i made the mistake of picking up CoD:BO, this was right next to it and i thought, "that'd probably be a safer bet (at a better price) than killstreakzzofduty 7!!!1." turns out i was right.

C:LoS is on sale at most places for about 40 bucks right now, as far as i know.

United States
    well, for those interested, the DLC for lords of shadow due out this month has been delayed. was trying to hurry up and finally finish the story (damn you, addictive CoD mp!) so i could be ready for the DLC, but it looks like i've got a bit more time. currently on chapter 10, plan to finish the main story this weekend.