Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angry Videogame Nerd: Castlevania Retrospective

United States

Angry Videogame Nerd: Castlevania Retrospective

A 3 part look back at the NES and SNES iterations of the franchise, part II went up last night and part III will be up sometime around Halloween, enjoy:

Part I - Castlevania

Part II - Simon's Quest and Dracula's Curse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As usual he didn't disapoint. That guy's rants are funny as hell dude.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    god i fucking love me some castlevania, currently playing the dracula x chronicles on the psp and its hard as balls.

-the one thing i didnt dig about sahdow complex was the grand total of 14 enemies, compared to the hundreds in the castlevania games.

United States
    i was a horror film junkie as a kid, and castlevania (the original) was probably one of my favorite NES games...but damn, it was hard as a barrel of woodpecker lips to beat.

i always dug the atmosphere and scenery in castlevania 2, but never had time (or the attention span/patience) to beat the game without using passwords.

and i may have beat castlevania 3 once, but that game was brutal as hell, too.

i'm pretty sure he won't have much negative to say about symphony of the night, since that's one of the greatest games of all time...

speaking of castlevania, anyone else interested in the new game coming out next year?

EDIT: oh yeah, 1600 posts, mofo!
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 22-Oct-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    FUCK.

NO.

its made by the guys who did jericho. yeah.

if you know about that piece of shit youll understand

United States
    not familiar with that game...trailer looked kinda cool, but maybe a bit over-the-top, as far as 150ft bosses that you can take down with a few dozen cracks of the whip go...

i'll give the demo a shot, at least, and keep my eyes peeled for reviews...

United States
    I'm liking the trailers for the newest Castlevania, isn't Hideo Kojima or his team somehow associated with it?

I suppose what I want more than anything is an XBLA/PSN sequel to Symphony of the Night, hand drawn 2D sprites and all. While the DS versions are nice, an HD Metroidvania would be amazing.

United States

United States
    thanks for posting that, was meaning to run that down.

funny hearing him give such a glowing review of a game. but he's right, super castlevania 4 was the shit.

the end said to be concluded, so i'm guessing a part 4 is due soon? wonder if he's got a review for symphony of the night? would be interesting to hear his thoughts on that one.

Undisclosed
    Anyone besides myself ever beat the N64 version?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Anyone besides myself ever beat the N64 version?
    i think it gets bad press, its still pretty shitty, but not simons quest shitty.

United States
    I remember buying the N64 version the day it came out, even with the mediocre reviews. I enjoyed it and it was actually a lot better than I expected, but seeing as 90% of N64's library has aged horribly I doubt I'll muster up the courage to play it again.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Simon's Quest is one of my most loathed games of all time!!! It was so frustratingly hard, yet I continued to attempt to get anywhere in the game for years upon years.

Undisclosed
    Simon was the 1st Castlevania game I played and owned. And yes, i did beat it. But shit, I had to wait, until Nintendo Power informed us about the red crystal at the cliff.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Simon was the 1st Castlevania game I played and owned. And yes, i did beat it. But shit, I had to wait, until Nintendo Power informed us about the red crystal at the cliff.
    first one i really got into was the gba ones, got sotn on xbla and loved it, that, shadow complex and super metroid are hands down the best 2d adventure games out there.