Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Three Games of the Current Generation

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    What are your top three games of the current generation of consoles?
    *Reads the word "consoles" and stomps back to his PC to play Starcraft II*
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    *Reads the word "consoles" and stomps back to his PC to play Starcraft II*
    Here's why I didn't include PC titles in this thread. A PC game can be a completely different experience based on the hardware that's being used. Graphics, sound, frame rate, anti-aliasing, etc. Console titles are the same across the board, and thus are on an equal playing field. Hey, if you want to name PC titles feel free, I just had my reasons for not really considering them when I made the thread.

Besides, being realistic, are there really all that many incredible games that were released on the PC during this generation that would make a top three list and that weren't available on a console as well? You've got Starcraft II as a possibility, and... that's kind of it. Undeniable smash hits like World of Warcraft were last generation, after all.

Being Attacked

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    1) Fallout 3/New Vegas (equally as good as each other)
    2) Battlefield Bad Company 2
    3) Portal 2

Over rated:
    Crysis 2
    CODBLOPS
    Red Dead Redemption
    I wouldnt say New Vegas and Fallout are equally as good as each other. New Vegas was good, but not as good as Fallout. I personally liked how Fallout 3 had more easter eggs and side missions (that werent actually a legit quest). Also I don't know why they didn't put anything like the MERV or Super Mutant behemoths in New Vegas.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think Fallout 3 is great in one way and Fallout: New Vegas in another. I loved New Vegas for continuing the lore of Fallout 1 and 2. Fallout 3, however, features great urban adventures that has no parallel in New Vegas as well as many other interesting locations.

New Vegas' strength is in it's story. It's detailed, rich and (as I mentioned) has the good fortune of having all the lore from Fallout 1 and 2. Fallout 3 pretty much starts anew in a completely new place. But it's got a very rich world. It's also much darker, it seems.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    new vegas had me trapped by invisible walls. for that alone i dislike it more than 3.

United States
    Wow, so many great games.

1. Fall out 3/fall out New Vegas. I thought about this one a little bit, and couldn't really stack one on top of the other. I really really love Fall out 3, I have spent many hours on it, almost to the point of not having to use the mini map to get around in the wasteland. How sad is that? Fall out 3 in my opinion has a better story, it feels like you're really making a difference in a world that needs help. Fall out new vegas doesn't have that pull but the lore of Fall out 1 and 2 makes up for it. These are great games. While they have their faults (Glitches, bugs) I still think that easily trump most games around in delivery, atmosphere, content, and game play.

2. Dead Space. I really like atmosphere in games, and I'm a sucker for horror and Sci fi. So this really fit right up my ally, playing this game in the dark with a couple friends with the sound blasted up was a very great experience. I have Dead Space 2 on my game q and look forward to it soon. Walking around in the dark with Issac and having a hoard of aliens stream from the darkness at you is terrifying at times. I like that in game. Anything with a strong and deep enough atmosphere to genuinely scare you at times. There were parts in it when I would have to hand the controller off, or take a break, just because I really didn't want to open that next door and unleash whatever horror lay behind it.

3. Battlefield Bad company 2. I played the first game but never played it online. The second one, I have spent a lot more time on. It has things that are greatly lacking in the call of duty series. Real Characters that after awhile you start to care about a little. While they are a little cookie cutter, the banter between them and your character helps. The multiplayer aspect is great. Destructible terrain completely changes the layout of first person shooters. The sqaud based aspect of it removes a lot of the bullshit 13 year old ass holes that infect the Cod series.

Honorable Mention goes to the Mass effect series. Bioware always does a great job of creating stories, and continues to deliver in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Creating a universe independent of any known sci fi franchise and doing it so craftily with so much back story and depth. Besides, how can you not love Wrex? and I would have made it my number 3 or number 4 game, but it's only a top 3 list...So I cheated. Screw you arbitrary list rules!

Most overrated?
    1. Madden Series.
    These games are the same every year seemingly and with out the competition of Sega forcing innovation on them, the series has grown very stale. Good to play with the mates sometimes, but I haven't played my copy besides that at all.
    2. Fable III. I don't really know if its overrated or just over hyped? Either way I'm playing through this right now and have to force my self to play through it. I'm not really enjoying my time at all. Will I finish it? Probably, will I play it again? I highly doubt it. It just doesn't make me want to play it, I don't know what it is? Am I tired of the setting? Does the game play bother me? I don't know what it is.
    3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. This game made me hate x box live. I didn't know there were that many 13 year old racists in the world until that game came out. I really enjoyed Call of Duty Modern Warfare and was so disappointed with Modern warfare 2. The single player wasn't very fulfilling, and the concept of kill streak stacking ruined multiplayer. You can hardly step outside a building with out a c-130, missle, or harrier slaughtering you. It just wasn't fun. If it wasn't for trying bad company 2 I would have been completely put off of shooters for it.

Dishonorable mention?
    Wii Dump games. So many gimmicky games have been pushed out for the Wii that it can have a thread of its own. Most of these are three shades of shiet.

I actually got bored earlier and wrote a version of this for my blog.
    http://exatreides.xanga.com/74780289...nt-generation/

Corrected a couple errors, whoops
    Last edited by Exatreides; 16-May-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: links
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Being Attacked

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    Wow, so many great games.

1. Fall out 3/fall out New Vegas. I thought about this one a little bit, and couldn't really stack one on top of the other. I really really love Fall out 3, I have spent many hours on it, almost to the point of not having to use the mini map to get around in the wasteland. How sad is that? Fall out 3 in my opinion has a better story, it feels like you're really making a difference in a world that needs help. Fall out new vegas doesn't have that pull but the lore of Fall out 1 and 2 makes up for it. These are great games. While they have their faults (Glitches, bugs) I still think that easily trump most games around in delivery, atmosphere, content, and game play.

2. Dead Space. I really like atmosphere in games, and I'm a sucker for horror and Sci fi. So this really fit right up my ally, playing this game in the dark with a couple friends with the sound blasted up was a very great experience. I have Dead Space 2 on my game q and look forward to it soon. Walking around in the dark with Issac and having a hoard of aliens stream from the darkness at you is terrifying at times. I like that in game. Anything with a strong and deep enough atmosphere to genuinely scare you at times. There were parts in it when I would have to hand the controller off, or take a break, just because I really didn't want to open that next door and unleash whatever horror lay behind it.

3. Battlefield Bad company 2. I played the first game but never played it online. The second one, I have spent a lot more time on. It has things that are greatly lacking in the call of duty series. Real Characters that after awhile you start to care about a little. While they are a little cookie cutter, the banter between them and your character helps. The multiplayer aspect is great. Destructible terrain completely changes the layout of first person shooters. The sqaud based aspect of it removes a lot of the bullshit 13 year old ass holes that infect the Cod series.

Honorable Mention goes to the Mass effect series. Bioshock always does a great job of creating stories, and continues to deliver in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Creating a universe independent of any known sci fi franchise and doing it so craftily with so much back story and depth. Besides, how can you not love Wrex? and I would have made it my number 3 or number 4 game, but it's only a top 3 list...So I cheated. Screw you arbitrary list rules!

Most overrated?
    1. Madden Series.
    These games are the same every year seemingly and with out the competition of Sega forcing innovation on them, the series has grown very stale. Good to play with the mates sometimes, but I haven't played my copy besides that at all.
    2. Fable III. I don't really know if its overrated or just over hyped? Either way I'm playing through this right now and have to force my self to play through it. I'm not really enjoying my time at all. Will I finish it? Probably, will I play it again? I highly doubt it. It just doesn't make me want to play it, I don't know what it is? Am I tired of the setting? Does the game play bother me? I don't know what it is.
    3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. This game made me hate x box live. I didn't know there were that many 13 year old racists in the world until that game came out. I really enjoyed Call of Duty Modern Warfare and was so disappointed with Modern warfare 2. The single player wasn't very fulfilling, and the concept of kill streak stacking ruined multiplayer. You can hardly step outside a building with out a c-130, missle, or harrier slaughtering you. It just wasn't fun. If it wasn't for trying bad company 2 I would have been completely put off of shooters for it.

Dishonorable mention?
    Wii Dump games. So many gimmicky games have been pushed out for the Wii that it can have a thread of its own. Most of these are three shades of shiet.

I actually got bored earlier and wrote a version of this for my blog.
    http://exatreides.xanga.com/74780289...nt-generation/
    Yeah man, I was thinking about putting Dead Space on my list too...Amazing game, props to that. I found myself legit screaming at times from it, my buddy bought the game because of me ahahaha

and I think you mean Bioware and not Bioshock I was pretty confused reading the post at first lol

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    my criticism with dead space was that it leans to heavily towards action than horror- with you becoming a walking tank after chapter 3 and the frequent use of cliche' scares rather than a natural escalation.

still bloody brilliant but on reflection from a design point it was flawed.

Being Attacked

Canada
    I also thought it lacked some variety, but yeah that's true.

I thought a huge let down was Silent Hill Homecoming. I liked the original Silent Hill games, but this just did not do the job for me.

Also I HATE HATE HATE the Army of Two games...those are pretty overrated in my opinion.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNeighbour View Post
    I wouldnt say New Vegas and Fallout are equally as good as each other. New Vegas was good, but not as good as Fallout. I personally liked how Fallout 3 had more easter eggs and side missions (that werent actually a legit quest). Also I don't know why they didn't put anything like the MERV or Super Mutant behemoths in New Vegas.
    Yeah but the game takes away 10% of something and gives you back another 10% of something completely different. Fallout 3 had great environments, and missions, and was very very deep - New Vegas maybe lost a little of it's originality but at the same time gave us much better social interaction, political and moral choices, and better dialogue, story and environments overall...so you know, its a toss up between the two. I could happily wipe my memory and start them over again if it was possible, cos I know i'd enjoy them both just as much
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNeighbour View Post
    Also I HATE HATE HATE the Army of Two games...those are pretty overrated in my opinion.
    the army of two games are obscene. they take the dickhead brodowns of cal of duty and exponentially tap the mystical bro-source of that shit. the er-bros. i put down the first after they killed 100 foreign people and said "shit yeah now i can get a big screen tv, ladies lift your shirts!" and then they did a fist pound and played there pearl encrusted machine guns like air guitars.

i prefer games where i do not play a pair of fucking monsters, but thats just me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    the army of two games are obscene. they take the dickhead brodowns of cal of duty and exponentially tap the mystical bro-source of that shit. the er-bros. i put down the first after they killed 100 foreign people and said "shit yeah now i can get a big screen tv, ladies lift your shirts!" and then they did a fist pound and played there pearl encrusted machine guns like air guitars.

i prefer games where i do not play a pair of fucking monsters, but thats just me.
    Honestly, I like the army of two games for the simple fact that I can sit down and play a good co op experience with a friend. Not having to enjoy the games for themselves, they do suck betrinkle juice. Just fun playing with a mate every now and then if we decide to take a break from Cod zombies or whatever co op scraps we can find these days.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Being Attacked

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    Honestly, I like the army of two games for the simple fact that I can sit down and play a good co op experience with a friend. Not having to enjoy the games for themselves, they do suck betrinkle juice. Just fun playing with a mate every now and then if we decide to take a break from Cod zombies or whatever co op scraps we can find these days.
    I remember me and my buddy were renting three games, and we had one more to choose, and it was between Resident Evil 5 and Army of Twoog Days (or whatever the hell the second one is called) We picked Army of Two and then after like 20 minutes, we were like "we should have picked RE5"

I don't like the game mechanics or controls.