Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x01 "30 Days Without an Accident" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Daryl licked his fingers before shaking Patrick's hand. Nice knowin' you, Daryl...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Daryl licked his fingers before shaking Patrick's hand. Nice knowin' you, Daryl...
    It's possible Daryl could be a carrier. I caught that as well. It seemed odd, Daryl is shown licking his fingers, then shaking hands with Patrick and shortly after, Patrick is a bloody mess. If Daryl were a carrier, he wouldn't necessarily come down with the disease. One thing is for sure, there has got to be a connection to Violet the pig's death, the dying boar in the woods, and the bloody eyed zombie at the fence. I bet whoever dies of this new virus is going to come back with those bloody eyes. It sure looked like Patrick did.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    It's possible Daryl could be a carrier. I caught that as well. It seemed odd, Daryl is shown licking his fingers, then shaking hands with Patrick and shortly after, Patrick is a bloody mess. If Daryl were a carrier, he wouldn't necessarily come down with the disease. One thing is for sure, there has got to be a connection to Violet the pig's death, the dying boar in the woods, and the bloody eyed zombie at the fence. I bet whoever dies of this new virus is going to come back with those bloody eyes. It sure looked like Patrick did.
    I hadn't associated that bloody eyed zombie with Patrick! Nice one!!!

I enjoyed the episode!

My only annoyances were:-
    1) Crazy lady - Surviving in a tent, all alone? Really? Couple of walkers come along while she's sleep! Finished!
    2) Shopping center - So they only start falling through the ceiling when it's convenient? They've been up there wondering around for X months, but only walk over weak spots when the script requires? Hmmm!
    3) And as others have said, Rick walking around without a gun? Didn't quite buy that.

But as I said, enjoyed it and can't wait to see what putting crazy contact lenses in overheating kids eyes! As people have said, we have dead pigs and odd looking zombies at the fence! Hmm!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The zombies raining through the roof was amazing!

Woman leading Rick through the forest and committing suicide after the failed attempt to kill him was weak and very much annoying.

I hope the Glenn and Maggie relationship receives a little less spot light.

My thoughts...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    The zombies raining through the roof was amazing!
    Agreed, but again, I did wonder why the roof only started giving way the precise moment they were in the store, and not the X months before, or afterwards... The zombies were all up there wandering around before hand...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Agreed, but again, I did wonder why the roof only started giving way the precise moment they were in the store, and not the X months before, or afterwards... The zombies were all up there wandering around before hand...
    Not necessarily, as we've seen walkers just standing around still before - e.g. in 3x01 with the ones in the shop, they're just stood around doing absolutely nothing as there's nothing for them to do (no distractions), and being up on the roof they're unlikely to see anything going on down at ground level, so they'll have moved around a little bit, but then just found a spot and stopped moving entirely ... until Bob knocked over the booze shelf (I take it that the wood was rotten because of the leaking roof - the drip, drip, drip) ... which is another thing, the roof has probably been rotting and weakening for quite some time, but without any reason to move, the walkers didn't tread on any of the dangerous patches - but once there's food for them down there, it's all-out chaos.

I loved that scene.

Good spot lads on the bloody eyes on Patrick and the walker at the fence - indeed, there was another walker (a female one) in the CC trailer with the same sort of eyes - so I think this is something new. I wonder if there's a difference in immunity between the original team prison, and the new blood Woodburyites. The latter were molly coddled for a long time in very clean and civil conditions, whereas Team Prison were scratching around in the muck for months on end.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Not necessarily, as we've seen walkers just standing around still before - e.g. in 3x01 with the ones in the shop, they're just stood around doing absolutely nothing as there's nothing for them to do (no distractions), and being up on the roof they're unlikely to see anything going on down at ground level, so they'll have moved around a little bit, but then just found a spot and stopped moving entirely ... until Bob knocked over the booze shelf (I take it that the wood was rotten because of the leaking roof - the drip, drip, drip) ... which is another thing, the roof has probably been rotting and weakening for quite some time, but without any reason to move, the walkers didn't tread on any of the dangerous patches - but once there's food for them down there, it's all-out chaos.
    Fair shout... but... There's a boombox remember playing music to entice all the zombies away, so why aren't all the roof zombies trying to get to it?

Boooya!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Fair shout... but... There's a boombox remember playing music to entice all the zombies away, so why aren't all the roof zombies trying to get to it?

Boooya!
    They might have learned that they can't get off the roof.

The boom box was fairly faint at the Big Spot entrance, and you'll see that the fence was cut open, so they quite possibly led them away personally to begin with, in the direction of the boom box, and then let the walkers end up at the rave themselves while the humans snuck away.

Boooya back atcha!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    That's my point. It's hard to care about them when the writing is so stereotypical and unrealistic when it comes to that aspect. I like that aspect, and I think it's necessary, I just don't like how they're doing it. It could be so much better. And this is what we do here, we discuss things like this. Would you prefer everyone chimes in and just says "great episode, loved it"? What fun would that be?
    I'm not avoiding the fact that they've been there for 6-7 months. I'm saying that isn't the ultimate deciding factor in how they'd act. They haven't been sitting there playing checkers for 6 months, reminiscing. The threat hasn't passed, it's gotten worse. They're still in survival mode. At least they should be.
    I'm not asking you to say "great episode, loved it", I know we all have different opinions that's why I'm arguing mine, I just don't agree with your's LOL

Administrator

England
    So where were they trying to go when they heard the shelves collapse?

Boooya!

Administrator

England

The boom box was fairly faint at the Big Spot entrance, and you'll see that the fence was cut open, so they quite possibly led them away personally to begin with, in the direction of the boom box, and then let the walkers end up at the rave themselves while the humans snuck away.

Boooya back atcha!
    But the problem is, the suggestion is they've basically been standing still for weeks/months, so as to not fall through the weak parts of the roof? And they only moved when the raiders made a noise:-
    1) The boombox didn't make them move?
    2) The thumping on the window, which drew the ones from inside, didn't make them?
    3) "quite possibly led them away personally to begin with" didn't make them move either?

And, I'd need to see it again, but I'll swear the shot of the roof shows them ambling around!?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Zombies through the roof was a convenience for the show plain and simple. Nicotero and co had to come up with a 'new' gag/zombie assault that hadn't been seen before. I'm with Neil on this one. But this is one item I have chosen to suspend belief and just accept.

And I wonder if a governor loyalist is inside the prison. Or maybe Milton's past experiments were on the Woodbury people and are now presenting themselves?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    One thing is for sure, there has got to be a connection to Violet the pig's death, the dying boar in the woods...
    Aw, crap...was the boar in the forest not another snared animal? If not, I missed that.

I think the big question is how many, if any, of these are red herrings?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    That's my point. It's hard to care about them when the writing is so stereotypical and unrealistic when it comes to that aspect. I like that aspect, and I think it's necessary, I just don't like how they're doing it. It could be so much better.
    I'm thinking this wasn't hinted at too heavily in the first episode because they either don't globally take those sorts of things into account when writing a single episode (I guess that could be a lack of producer oversight/show running), or they just don't want to tip their hand too much about how damaged some, mot or all people are and leave it as supposedly "bubbling just under the surface" status for episodes which I can only hope will further address how emotionally damaged and numb people have become.

Rick seems suitably damaged, if that makes people feel better, even if it's not in a way that rah-rah way survivalist fans want to see. I also feel that Michonne has always seemed suitably disconnected in the comics and reasonably so in the TV show for someone who lived through her circumstances.

You also have to realize the circumstances of the story aren't always going to adhere directly to our individual philosophies on how people manage under masses of stress. Some people are more hopeful and other more pessimistic about the human condition and fragility of the human mind and spirit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Zombies through the roof was a convenience for the show plain and simple. Nicotero and co had to come up with a 'new' gag/zombie assault that hadn't been seen before. I'm with Neil on this one. But this is one item I have chosen to suspend belief and just accept.
    I actually loved it. I just chalk it up to the walkers not hearing the boombox and then their accelerated, excited movement and grouping up weakening the roof. The big mistake was not having more fall through in that 1st portion of the roof that gave way, but that doesn't even qualify as a quibble really.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Not a bad start, but not without flaws either, most of which have been mentioned.

I liked the Rick'n'mad girl sideline, although as soon as I heard her Cork accent, I knew she was trouble. It ended a bit badly though. I think Rick should have killed her, not herself. And yeh the tent? Fu*k that. But, I didn't coincide with a scene in 'The Walking Dead' game. So I think that's why it's there.

And Woody Allen dying in the shower with super Ebola like symptoms? Hmmmm. I REALLY hope they aren't going to do a virus mutation thing, that will be a dumb idea. Almost as dumb as the stupid "zombie super smell" thing they tried.

Anyway, roll on next week.

Oh, and I loved the gore for this episode. The zombie hanging by his intestines as he fell through the roof. A1 that...
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 15-Oct-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    To be fair, Clara (the crazy lady, IIRC) does have an undead head in a burlap sack - so, similar to Michonne, it might act as camoflage. Stay quiet inside your tent if any come by and you're grand ... or if there's only one or two, snuff them out and duck back in ... or climb a tree ... or maybe she just smells so bad from not washing that not even the walkers want to sink their gnashers into her.

As for biting through clothing ... it's a tricky thing ... their teeth will be sharper and broken (from munching into bone by accident when feasting). Indeed, one of my own teeth has a really sharp corner on it (sharp enough that I accidentally cut my lip open on it one time), so factoring in walkers' messed up chompers with their lack of pain, they'll just dig in ... tearing through denim though? Hmmm ... I don't really mind though, it's common in all zombie media.

This reminds me of talk about 2x11 though - specifically the walker that tore open Dale's stomach. It was explained afterwards somewhere that the walker (and older/mankier walkers in general) have sharp fingers because the flesh has torn off/decayed away and there is exposed bone in place ... so they've got ten puncturing devices to dig into you with.

Neil - again, the boom box was very faint at the Big Spot, I theorise they drew them away (they said the inside of the compound was infested - so they cut open the fence and led them in the direction of the boom box, then ran off quietly and let the group gather by the boom box, which would be much louder and nearer now that they'd been lured away.

I'd also imagine their hearing isn't tip-top, so you can sneak around okay, and even knocking on the window wouldn't carry up enough from under that veranda/overlap sheltered area (but would carry through at least the nearest part of the store) ... so the walkers on the roof wouldn't hear that.

A big shelf full of heavy booze bottles on the other hand with Bob screaming for help? That's much louder, and I get the impression that the roof is already compromised - so there's already some holes in there to let BIG LOUD NOISES through for the walkers on top to hear.

That's explanation enough in my mind - the sequence was awesome.