Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M. Night Shamaylan's "The Green Effect"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

M. Night Shamaylan's "The Green Effect"

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=49

nto 100% sure if this is legit but its a film were people world wide go nuts like in 28 days but rather than kill other people they kill themselves, commiting suicide in various way's.
    god knows what the twist could be, but something i've recently though of has been bugging me, i recently found out lady in the water ,which looked awesome but i was too broke to see it was a complete failure at the box office, and i myself took the piss outta him after the village, but what the guys on the latest mega 64 podcast said struck a cord with me, sure he may be slightly typecast with his scripts, but has anyone ever been bored whilst viewing one of his films for the first time?, i havent there kinda like an episode of the outer limits each time and compared to the amount of remakers and uwe bolls in the industry i cant believe this script aint being picked up, even avatar had trouble.
    This guy is predictably unpredictable but he does make good films, even signs was good in my opinion, but cus it became cool in the media to rip the piss outta him his scripts aint being picked up yet theres a remake of the awesome battle royale on the way just for people to lazy to read subtitles.

great era for films huh?

capncnut
    I don't do Shyamalan movies - I just can't face them anymore. And who is remaking Battle Royale? Whoever it is deserves a slap in the face of the highest order. If it carries on this way, I shall give up on movies permanently and go back to reading.
    Last edited by capncnut; 26-Feb-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Signs only real failings were
    - the kids book being accurate to how it all played out
    - water being the aliens achilles heel
    - 'coincidences' such as the placement of the bat, the kids asthma and so on was too much.
    Little moments like the world sitting glued to the TV sets, shaken news desk reporter telling people the ships are making movements, the stuff left to the imagination regarding the invasion made it worthwhile.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    theyve all got there plus' and minus', i think after a slew of remakes and boll films im gonna be a bit more laid back with his movies.

Administrator

England
    I really liked Signs! Even if it did have a couple of daft plot oversights

Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    - 'coincidences' such as the placement of the bat, the kids asthma and so on was too much.
    But that was the point of the whole film... A man who lost his faith found it again by what was almost without doubt divine intervention!
    Last edited by Neil; 27-Feb-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I liked Signs. I didn't see The Village, but I know how it ends so I'm not in a hurry.

Whenever people bring up Signs they always say "It sucked! I mean... Water?".

So what? You're watching a film about aliens invading. Does their weakness REALLY matter?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah i agree its not like loads of people whent up to h.g well's and said "huh..... really?, the common cold?".

Twitching

Undisclosed
    There's a issue with water because the Earth surface is 70% water, humans are composed of 70% water, all it would take is a bit of rain to wipe out the invaders and thats it.

Loads of people had issues with the ending to Spielbergs War of the Worlds with the aliens not thinking to check and take immunisations before invading (and also it seemed rushed, the son surviving, ect).

I can still think of a explanation - in both films they were not the true invaders, merely animals with intelligence equivalent of a primate following instructions for their masters, in Signs they harvested humans for some reason, in War of the Worlds they terraformed the earth.

Mind you i totally agree they have a good run right up until the pay off.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Loads of people had issues with the ending to Spielbergs War of the Worlds with the aliens not thinking to check and take immunisations before invading
    That's how it happened in the novel. And the original film. I bet MORE people would be pissed at Spielberg if he actually changed the ending, than the angry people who had never read the novel.

Of course bacteria would kill off aliens. The same thing would happen to us. The same thing happened to the indians.

Water? Meh, I don't give a damn. There are explanations for it. The aliens were dying, they needed more resources, they decided to chance it. They were going to die either way, and it's better to try and die than just sit back and say "Well, we almost survived. Yarr!"

Undisclosed
    "The Green effect" is something I like the look off get yeah I see what everyone means about his predictable unpredictability, theres a very good Robot Chicken episode which points this out with M.Shamaylan bursting out with "What a twist!!" everytime something happens. Ill give it a watch when it comes out on dvd, I caught signs and it was okay I thought and the village I liked till the whole "twist" happened and then the whole movie seemed to be dented after that.

As for battle royale..What the titty fu**ing christ? I know the remake is planned and a company is trying to buy the rights to it but please there is no way that its going to come close to the original. The guy who directed Dawn 04 I think is meant to be directing, I read it on some BR site a while back. Already the plot is screwed enough that it will not be a class of students, but a group of young offenders taken from a young offenders insitute and used in the game.
    Why arent you laughing?

Kazakhstan
    battle royale is the exactly wrong for a remake, its not old enough to be forgotten, but its old enough to have a currently active reputation (as it were). most people will have seen the original.

i liked the war of the worlds ending. i think in the spielberg it was more the billions of microorganisms in the air and water that overwhelmed them, as opposed to the cold in the book. its an interesting idea, although yeah, you woulda thought the aliens would have known about it...but maybe they intended to invade the earth thinking it was in the state it was when they buried the tripods? i dunno. the ending with the son was naff though
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I'm so sick of M. Knight Shamalan-a-ding-dong.

Everything that guy does is pure, frothing sh*t.

capncnut
    A-f**kin'-men.

Super Moderator

UK
    Capn - this new Halloween theme is pretty cool man, anyway...

Shallymallallyan's films ... *sigh*

Sixth Sense - I found it dull and boring and too smug about itself.
    Unbreakable - I actually liked this one.
    Signs - saw it in the cinema, but aliens - who are killed by water - invading a planet packed with the stuff was the biggest slice of retard-cake I've ever seen cut off onto anyone's cinematic plate.
    The Village - a load of old bollocks, the twist was sh*te and again, so far up its own arse it's head popped out the top again.
    Lady in the Water - I ain't watching anymore Shillybillyman movies, same formula peddled once again, yeesh.

The idea of an epidemic of worldwide suicide does sound intriguing, but with that guy on board ... where's the bat so I can "swing away"?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    liam: In the book the aliens were killed by bacteria (in the air, like in the films), it didn't specifically say anywhere that it was the year-around cold. The main-character might have speculated on it, but he was by no means an authority on the subject.

btw: I thank M. Night for one thing. That he's not remaking anything! In this day and age, that's a good thing.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 28-Feb-2007 at 02:43 PM.