Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats the hate with the Star Wars Special Editions?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was watching the special features on Indiana Jones 4 the other day and Lucas was wearing a "Han shot first" T-shirt. Kinda weird considering he changed the scene...

United States
    The Jaba scene at the Mos Espa space port was HORRIBLY done. Terrible CGI, Shadowing and just plain bad.

So was the sarlac in episode six.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    So was the sarlac in episode six.
    Yeah...the beak thing. What the hell was up with that? I liked it much more when it was just the hole with teeth.

With the beak it reminded me of Audrey(the plant) from Little Shop of Horrors.

capncnut
    Star Wars. Cinema. 1978. Yeah, that version, pal.

Lucas... what a serious waste of f**king talent. American Graffiti is my personal favourite btw.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah...the beak thing. What the hell was up with that? I liked it much more when it was just the hole with teeth.
    I actually heard a story about that. Since George Lucas doesn't like other people tampering with his story and such, he got pretty pissed when everybody was trying to revive Boba Fett after he died in Star Wars 6 (because he was intended to die, simple as that). So he added the beak to make it look somewhat more impossible to escape and more of a grotesque death.

In anyway, I hate Boba Fett. He's a useless marksman that can't hit anything.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    You better not let Trellin Fett hear that! Anyway, yeah. The song sucked in Jabba's throne room when they redid it. The original was much more boppy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    In anyway, I hate Boba Fett. He's a useless marksman that can't hit anything.
    He's still the coolest bounty hunter in the series. I mean...it's either him or that lizard dude in the yellow jumpsuit.

Here's an interesting video that compares the original films to the special editions. 99.9% of the changes are just pointless. And I never noticed the difference made to Vader's face when Luke takes off his mask at the end of Jedi. They took off his eyebrows and turned him into a conehead!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yep. The revamped stuff is just not as good as the original, be it music, monsters, or explosions. But don't take my word for it. *Buh-dap-dap!*
    Sorry, I just love Reading Rainbow.
    Oh, and he's a Trandoshan named Bossk. Hunts Wookies. I'm a nerd.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I once saw a shirt that only said "Save the Wookies". I've wanted it ever since....

Undisclosed
    As for "Who Shot First", in the original version Han Solo shoots first and asks questions later. It's an important part of his character introduction. But when you have him shooting in self-defence, that also changed the character introduction... And the character.
    I agree. That was the main thing that bothered me about the SE - Han no longer shoots first. But I do like the SE. Just more SW which is always good.

I know some complained about the cg of Jabba in the SW SE but I'll take that any day over the Yoda puppet in Ep1. I just hope Lucas goes back and does a cg replacement of that Yoda some day.

I love anything SW. Lucas can do whatever he wants to the films.
    The originals will aways be there. Ultimately I'll end up buying every edition he puts out anyway

3D versions are coming next.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Used to be a huge Star Wars fan myself, actually. But I really lost interest after Episode 3. Why? Because Episode 3 really ruined Star Wars for me. I'm not kidding you when I say I walked into Star Wars Episode 3 a huge Star Wars fan and came out so disappointed I didn't even buy the film on DVD when it came out to complete my collection (and I love collecting DVDs) and after that I think I've seen maybe... One or two Star Wars films. By accident. I just lost interest, thanks to the prequels.

But I have another lover these days... The crew of the Starship Enterprise!
    Last edited by EvilNed; 08-Jul-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Undisclosed
    That happens with some people. I have to admit I liked Ep3.

What happened with you on Ep3 happened with me on Indy 4 (KOTCS) so I can understand it.

United States
    Used to be a huge Star Wars fan myself, actually. But I really lost interest after Episode 3. Why? Because Episode 3 really ruined Star Wars for me. I'm not kidding you when I say I walked into Star Wars Episode 3 a huge Star Wars fan and came out so disappointed I didn't even buy the film on DVD when it came out to complete my collection (and I love collecting DVDs) and after that I think I've seen maybe... One or two Star Wars films. By accident. I just lost interest, thanks to the prequels.

But I have another lover these days... The crew of the Starship Enterprise!
    I'm a bit *meh* about 1-3, they've got some great parts, & some not soo great parts. Overall I like them, but they're a bit uneven. They didn't diminish my love for 4-6.

Now Trek I had the same experience with. I used to be a HUGE Trek fan (even more so than SW), but sometime around "Enterprise" my enthusiasm cooled dramatically & I've never regained it since.

Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    That happens with some people. I have to admit I liked Ep3.

What happened with you on Ep3 happened with me on Indy 4 (KOTCS) so I can understand it.
    I must be one of the only one's on here who actually liked KOTCS....
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 08-Jul-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Christmas Island
    "Whats the hate with the Star Wars Special Editions?"

The changes were dumb, pointless, and annoying and not only did nothing to enhance the originals but were done solely to turn those films into cheap promos for his idiotic prequels. The "that's my original vision" line from Lucas sounds like crap to me. If it isn't, I think it is one of the few instances in film history where the lack of a huge budget was a good thing.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 08-Jul-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Wow Max, thanks for putting my exact feelings in writing! I totally agree with you, my man.