Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inappropriate or criminal?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The thing is that this reportedly wasn't the first time that this boy was involved in this sort of behavior. Knowing as many teens as i do i'm almost positive that he felt he got away with something. That's the problem, these penalties aren't severe enough. Teens feel, and rightly so, That they can get away with certain types of behavior because they know that the apologists for them will come out of the woodwork with things like "he's just a kid" or "boys will be boys.' They know nothing's going to happen to them. The overiding concern here should be intent and if the person knew what they were doing was wrong. I believe that they did. I'm aware that kids do stupid things. The thing is i remember being that age and most kids know what they're doing in wrong and choose to engage in the activity regardless. How many times have we said to ourselves as kids, " my parents will kill me if they find out?" That statement denotes the awareness of the wrongdoing one is engaging in.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Yeah but how do you prove he knew was he did was wrong and proceeded to do so anyway? Maybe he grew up in a barn and didn't know any better. I can understand when a young person or person of any age with a mental retardation goes and slaps someone doesn't know any better... but if you're not mental you know better. Its common human decency.

I've said soooooooooooo many times man my parents will kill me if they found out lol
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Yeah but how do you prove he knew was he did was wrong and proceeded to do so anyway? Maybe he grew up in a barn and didn't know any better. I can understand when a young person or person of any age with a mental retardation goes and slaps someone doesn't know any better... but if you're not mental you know better. Its common human decency.

I've said soooooooooooo many times man my parents will kill me if they found out lol
    Because there's a thing called personal resposibility. Following that logic anyone can get away with serial murders because they didn't know beter. The real question is at what age should one be expected to be resposible for their own actions. It's definitely before age 16. And before you answer remember that we punish children who are very young. If they didn't know what they were doing then what's the sense in punishing them?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Now now... i'm not unreasonable... a junior high school student certainly knows reasonable behavior... before that however who knows... certainly at sixth grade and fifth grade but the punishment should vary depending on age... I wouldn't suggest children from elementary school should be locked up that would be insane and i'm just not that crazy.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Now now... i'm not unreasonable... a junior high school student certainly knows reasonable behavior... before that however who knows... certainly at sixth grade and fifth grade but the punishment should vary depending on age... I wouldn't suggest children from elementary school should be locked up that would be insane and i'm just not that crazy.
    Yeah that would be kinda nuts. But seriously this country needs a serious debate on what the hell is going on with our youth and what we need to do about it. It's geting to the point where stories like this are commonplace and don't even shock you anymore. we've come to expect this kind of behavior from them and that is unacceptable.

Canada
    Dang! Now I know that this is all about.
    That kid that did the slapping, you think he
    doesn't know what he's doing. Sure he does,
    and he got away with it. He got his kicks out
    of it and hung up his reasoning on a lame
    excuse that it's the way to say howdy,
    pleeeaaassseee, kids today get away with so
    much crap it makes me cringe at the thought
    of what they'll be like when they're adults.

United States
    he was a kid and what he did was wrong but there is worse

in todays paper the story of how a man and woman were walking down the street. another woman approached them and asked for a cigarette. the first woman siad "thats my husband dont be disrespecting me" the two women started to fight and the second woman pulled out a knife and stabbed the first woman. the reason the first woman attacked the lady who asked for a cigarette? she told police "she was offended that the other woman talked to her man"

this was last night at about midnight
    no arrests were made
    this kid spent 5 days in jail

balance it out

United States
    True but even when I was in high school over 7 years ago some boys behaved that way. Hell i'm still sick over half the things that went on at my public high schools throughout the years. I had a guy lick the back of my neck and ear and tell me something that makes me cringe to this day and nothing was done about it besides a one day in school suspension. And that was in class in front of the teacher and everything.

I was looking up a old school mate of mine yesterday and had to go through 80 pages of Katie Browns and there was a 15 year old girl who had a picture posted of herself on her bed splayed out in Victorias Secret. Whats wrong with people? Can we ever fix this?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    this was last night at about midnight
    no arrests were made
    this kid spent 5 days in jail

balance it out
    Well if they had common sense they wouldn't be politicians now would they. It's ironic that the ones who are the most electable are the most ill suited to actually write legislation.

Whats wrong with people? Can we ever fix this?

The first step in fixing a dilema is to admit that there's a problem in the first place. As of yet this has not happened.

United States
    While I too thought he could be smiling because he's exiting jail he should be concerned about his future and whether he may be signed on as a sex offender and facing further jail time.
    Thats because
    HE'S THIRTEEN!!!
    not thirty!
    Wow. I guess some of you popped out of your Mom fully formed. Thats very fortunate of you to have known everything you know now your whole life. When I was 13 i was still considering if I wanted to still play with my Micronauts and what was that wierd stuff that came out my ding dong occasionally at night.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The thing is that this reportedly wasn't the first time that this boy was involved in this sort of behavior. Knowing as many teens as i do i'm almost positive that he felt he got away with something. That's the problem, these penalties aren't severe enough. Teens feel, and rightly so, That they can get away with certain types of behavior because they know that the apologists for them will come out of the woodwork with things like "he's just a kid" or "boys will be boys.' .
    I didnt see anything in the posted article about repeat behavior. Did I miss something?
    Btw, I highly doubt he will be slapping assess any time soon. I dont think I am an apologist by any means. You can charge a child with an adult sized penalty, but they are still children and that should always be a consideration. He wasnt caught raping babies or chopping up hoboes.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyHicks View Post
    Dhung up his reasoning on a lame
    excuse that it's the way to say howdy,
    Yeah that is a lame excuse. What does he think he is? Thirteen? Grow up, dammit.

You guys all forget Kids were sh*tty when I was 13 in 1980. Nothings changed. In a lot of ways, around here, its gotten WAY BETTER. Sure Kids are rude dicks. But it bothers me more because Im older and I want those damn kids off my lawn.
    And you cant have your ball back. It went in my yard so its MINE!!!!
    Last edited by coma; 25-Jul-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When i was 13 i was playing but it wasn't with my micronauts.

Like i said earlier there is a debate that needs to be had. Even like what we're doing now. Dialogue is good. That way we can get everything out in the open and hopefully move closer to solving the problem.

About him doing it repeatedly i could have sworn i read earlier in this thread that it was a common practice that they engaged in. Perhaps i was mistaken.

Canada
    okay..okay let's all relax here.

I was 13 in 1985, never crossed my mind to
    do this sort of thing to any of the girls I knew.

I'm just saying that it seems as time wears on, things that
    were once unacceptable when we were kids,
    seems to be more acceptable to this
    generation and that is just bad behaviour.

United States
    Hey kids today grow up faster than they did back in 1982 or haven't you noticed?

United States
    Hey kids today grow up faster than they did back in 1982 or haven't you noticed?
    They know stuff about sex etc. But grow up faster? Im not so sure about that. People said the same stuff about my generation when I was a kid. Kids boned, Got high and shot each other than too, y;know. I was there. Its true!.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Well hell if they're old enough to shoot each other and old enough to bone then they're also old enough to know not to slap a girl on the ass to say hello and they're old enough to know they've erred and could face a fudgepacker in juvy for being a complete and total cad. Kids at 13 aren't THAT stupid. They should throw the book at him to make an example.