Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Akira - Being made into a live action film...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Nah, see this one. It's not like most anime. It's more just like an awesome 80's sci-fi... just animated in Japan. At times it reminds me of an animated Blade Runner. It's a really good movie.
    It would depend on what he considers "anime"....

I wouldnt call it an animated Blade Runner....theres definitely an existential component similiar to Bladerunner...but theres also an "antiexistential" component that is very different from bladerunner....also much of thematic elements are very different...

That being said....I love Akira.....is it a typical Anime?....definitely not....is it still beautifully animated given todays computer standards....still better.... (and its hand drawn)....

If he hates "animated" movies he'll never like it..."Anime" is a huge genre...hell I dont even consider it a genre...its a media...Grave of The Fireflies is thrown in with anime but is extraordinarily different than the anime pulp shown on Adult swim....Akira is also different...

Theres so many movies that are classified as "Anime" but drastically differ from each other...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    I see no point in making this movie. It can only be just like the animated flick - GREATLY abbreviated.

You cannot pack a 2,000 - page manga into an hour and a half live-action pile of dogturd. Period.

The only way it could be done effectively is if it were a miniseries. You'd need the time allotment.

And should I even bother to ask just WTF someone like DiCaprio would be doing living in NeoTokyo?! Funny, but he just doesn't look Japanese to me....maybe I need glasses or something, but I'm just not seeing it.

EDIT-

Ah, I see now that he won't actually be IN the movie, thank God. Sorry, saw his name and went into a rage...it could happen to anybody....
    Last edited by SRP76; 22-Feb-2008 at 01:53 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I've never had this problem, and I'm thinking of Rollerball specifically. In fact I dare say the exact opposite is true: Many people I know have now seen the original Dawn of the Dead, but they would never have done so had there not been a remake of it. So I disagree with you, and if you don't have the time to explain to them which of the Rollerballs you mean, then so be it. Then you should be equally against films with similar titles!
    I run into that problem all the time at work (A Blockbuster) with people of all ages. Sure there are a lot of people who went from the remake to watching the original, but I can say from personal experiance that most people don't know when a movie is a remake and a lot of the kids like the crappy remakes better because they dont know any better (or at least that's my theory).

As far as a live action Akira... they shouldn't do it. Akira is a Anime classic that should not be touched. Plus I am really sick of all the remakes lately.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    The exception to these observations is movie "lovers" or movie buffs...or movie aficiandos...whatever....They actively search out movies so are more likely to have a movie knowledge that is more comprehensive....
    I'm not talking about average movie lovers, I'm talking about people who like films on an everyday, relaxed level. People who would rather enjoy Tom Cruises latest film than any of Kubricks films. Many of these were born in the 80's, also, by the way.

So I do not see how a remake could hurt the reputation of the older film. So far most of my friends are aware that Dawn of the Dead, for instance, was a remake. And those that weren't were not at all disinterested in seeing the old one, despite not liking the new ones. Hey, I even managed to folks to watch the old Rollerball, AFTER seeing the new one.

If people happen to like the remakes more, then so what? You have a different taste in movies. I do not "die a little" inside whenever people tell me they don't like John Carpenters films. I just tell them my point of view of why I think they're brilliant and let that be.

Thus, remakes only further the reputation of the older film. And for those who do not care for remakes, they do not have to watch them. It's a win-win situation.

Administrator

England
    ....3yrs later.... And it's getting closer!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48959
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    anyone seen some of the cast rumours?

Sure robert pattinson can get some boos for starring in twilight but the guy was decent in the goblet of fire, and more age appropriate for the role hes touted for.

But his rumoured competition for the role is joaquin pheonix.....

Super Moderator

Germany
    I have yet to hear of anyone attached to this flick who wasn't tragically too old to play the leads. Phoenix? Shyeah, as long as he plays one of the elderly looking psychic kids.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Why? Why do they need to do this? I don't understand...

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I like anime, but hate the dubbing that is typically featured in the english language versions. Terran mentioned "Grave of the Fireflies" which is a decent film, but for the life of me I cannot stand to watch this with the dubbing. They always use some woman for the voice of a young boy, for example (think about the Spritel dubbing for the original Speed Racer Series) which gives me an ulcer when I hear it.

Perhaps my brothers here who don't groove with anime might feel differently if they watched it with english subtitles but listened to the original Japanese language track - I don't know if this will change the way anyone views anime, but I certainly like it better than the badly dubbed versions.

I predict the Akira remake, however, will be a big budget flop. Looks like they are not going to feature any asians in the primary roles either, but I suspect that some politcally correct minded producer will feature token minorities in the side roles.

I also agree that Leonardo DiCaprio is a crappy actor - Scorcese needs to stop using him in his films.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I like anime, but hate the dubbing that is typically featured in the english language versions. Terran mentioned "Grave of the Fireflies" which is a decent film, but for the life of me I cannot stand to watch this with the dubbing. They always use some woman for the voice of a young boy, for example (think about the Spritel dubbing for the original Speed Racer Series) which gives me an ulcer when I hear it.

Perhaps my brothers here who don't groove with anime might feel differently if they watched it with english subtitles but listened to the original Japanese language track - I don't know if this will change the way anyone views anime, but I certainly like it better than the badly dubbed versions.

I predict the Akira remake, however, will be a big budget flop. Looks like they are not going to feature any asians in the primary roles either, but I suspect that some politcally correct minded producer will feature token minorities in the side roles.

I also agree that Leonardo DiCaprio is a crappy actor - Scorcese needs to stop using him in his films.
    Indeed! I will always watch the subtitled/original dialogue version of any foreign film!

DiCaprio? A crappy actor? Huh? He's played a good number of rolls very well?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Indeed! I will always watch the subtitled/original dialogue version of any foreign film!

DiCaprio? A crappy actor? Huh? He's played a good number of rolls very well?
    Glad we agree on subtitled versions as opposed to dubbed.

Regarding Leo, however, since Gilbert Grape I have felt he was subpar. Admittedly there are films of his I have yet to see, and my judgement may be colored some because I know him personally -grew up in the same neighborhood and went to the same High School - so I respect your differing opinion. Could not stand him in Inception, Shutter Island, Gangs of NY, Titanic, Catch Me, and as Howard Hughes, but again I may not be the most impartial judge.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    If they pull a Last Airbender and mainly cast whites... That just wouldn't even make sense! It's in freakin' Tokyo! I mean, maybe a couple of them could be white, but as Tetsuo or Kaneda? No, I can't see it... No...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    If they pull a Last Airbender and mainly cast whites... That just wouldn't even make sense! It's in freakin' Tokyo! I mean, maybe a couple of them could be white, but as Tetsuo or Kaneda? No, I can't see it... No...
    Yeah, blind, they have renamed neotokyo as neo-manhattan, so they've changed it up like that to justify their primarily caucasian cast (since the executives obviously continue to believe that white actors have a better box office pull than asian actors) but they are keeping the names of the primary characters as Kaneda and Akira. Which is funny if you consider Keannu answering to a Japanese name.

"Whoa, like what's up with Tetsuo, dude?"
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 10-May-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: because I wanted to - quit asking me to justify my edits!

Ireland
    This will be a fucking joke.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....