Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Akira - Being made into a live action film...

Administrator

England

Akira - Being made into a live action film...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Leo-D...tion-7899.html

Wasn't it Leo DiCaprio's and Drad Pitts production companies who fought over World War Z with Brad Pitt's winning? Maybe this is DiCaprio's fall back project
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Oh no, this is depressing! Stuff like this doesn't need to be made into a film.

Leonardo DiCraprio?

Undisclosed
    *shivers*....I have trouble seeing how this is going to be pulled off

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    *shivers*....I have trouble seeing how this is going to be pulled off
    Think how well it worked with "The Flintstones"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    If this really happens, I will go Emo.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Never even heard of it. But seeing that it's anime, I now know why. Can't stand the stuff...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Usually, whenever I see Anime I think that it has a cool story that would translate well (and make a better film) if it were only live-action. Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell. All overrated movies that could have been much better, had they been live-action. But Akira is not one of those films. That said, why do you guys care so much? Nobody is going to force you to watch it. And if you do, you still have the original to fall back on. Believe it or not, the original film will not change a bit with this release.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    If this really happens, I will go Emo.
    *hands you lipstick and my chemical romance cds*

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    But Akira is not one of those films. That said, why do you guys care so much? Nobody is going to force you to watch it. And if you do, you still have the original to fall back on. Believe it or not, the original film will not change a bit with this release.
    Well the probelm is when talking to other people....

Say to someone in a casual conversation "Rollerball is an awsome movie"

And then they say "Eeew that movie was retarded"

And then you have to say "No not the one with Chris Klein, LL Cool J, and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos...that was a remake it was horrible"

And then they say "Well I cant imagine anything like that being good I dont ever want to see it"....

(Basically insert any name of a movie that has been remade in place of "RollerBall")

Popular culture seems to have a tendancy to forget about the originals when the remakes on top of remakes cloud things....Its also hard to persuade someone to see an original of something that has a horrible remake....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    dicaprio already soiled hollywood with his subpar performance as howard hughes. howard hughes was 6'4'' and leo is 5'7''...........yet jim carrey does a better hughes and didnt get the job in the aviator. scorcese can go eat a bullet

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Popular culture seems to have a tendancy to forget about the originals when the remakes on top of remakes cloud things....Its also hard to persuade someone to see an original of something that has a horrible remake....
    I've never had this problem, and I'm thinking of Rollerball specifically. In fact I dare say the exact opposite is true: Many people I know have now seen the original Dawn of the Dead, but they would never have done so had there not been a remake of it. So I disagree with you, and if you don't have the time to explain to them which of the Rollerballs you mean, then so be it. Then you should be equally against films with similar titles!

Undisclosed
    I guess it depends on the circles of people you move around ....

None of my friends knew or cared that there was an original Dawn of the Dead....nor did they know of or care that The Ring was a remake of Ringu....Hell even I thought for a while that Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 film)was the original....
    Most of the people I know get the majority of their "movie knowledge" through previews and personal memories....And since most of my "friends" were born in the 80s (most of them mid 80s) and therefore they really only have a working vocabulary of movies made in the 90s (and family friendly classics that are shown on regular TV)....

But if you are in a crowd of people that were born in the 70s or later that are casual movie goers they are likely to have a longer working memory of movies....so they may remember most of the movies that are now getting remade..... But I think that most (not all) of the preteens and current teenagers will likely not know or even care to know whether a movie is a "remake"...and if the remake is horrible they will especially have no interest in seeing what they consider an old movie that spawned a bad contemporary movie...

The exception to these observations is movie "lovers" or movie buffs...or movie aficiandos...whatever....They actively search out movies so are more likely to have a movie knowledge that is more comprehensive....

I do mind when movies have the same title.....for example Cronenberg's Crash and Paul Haggis' Crash.....two very very different movies...that still to this day cause confusion amongst movie conversations

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I guess it depends on the circles of people you move around ....

None of my friends knew or cared that there was an original Dawn of the Dead....nor did they know of or care that The Ring was a remake of Ringu....Hell even I thought for a while that Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 film)was the original....
    Most of the people I know get the majority of their "movie knowledge" through previews and personal memories....And since most of my "friends" were born in the 80s (most of them mid 80s) and therefore they really only have a working vocabulary of movies made in the 90s (and family friendly classics that are shown on regular TV)....

But if you are in a crowd of people that were born in the 70s or later that are casual movie goers they are likely to have a longer working memory of movies....so they may remember most of the movies that are now getting remade..... But I think that most (not all) of the preteens and current teenagers will likely not know or even care to know whether a movie is a "remake"...and if the remake is horrible they will especially have no interest in seeing what they consider an old movie that spawned a bad contemporary movie...

The exception to these observations is movie "lovers" or movie buffs...or movie aficiandos...whatever....They actively search out movies so are more likely to have a movie knowledge that is more comprehensive....

I do mind when movies have the same title.....for example Cronenberg's Crash and Paul Haggis' Crash.....two very very different movies...that still to this day cause confusion amongst movie conversations
    well i fall into that category, being a film student an' all. and i forget that sometimes and then get shocked and or pissed when the rest of my freinds my age dont get what im on about when i talk about the silence of the lambs for example.
    today we had a marathon of all the kevin smith films (except jersey girl) and aside form the wolverine reference in mallrats i had to pause it and explain why jay was dancing with a "double back" mangina going on, or why (oh god) my freinds 12 year old cousin didnt get why it was a suprrise that darth vader was white....

i died more than a little inside today, especially when everyone of them said dawn '04 was better than the "old crappy" one....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i died more than a little inside today, especially when everyone of them said dawn '04 was better than the "old crappy" one....
    ...*Gasp*...
    I feel your pain
    Some even here think 04 is better than the original too....

I saw Dawn 04 in theaters and enjoyed myself...but it really is a bad movie.....the original Dawn Ive seen many times, likely more times in the future...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Never even heard of it. But seeing that it's anime, I now know why. Can't stand the stuff...
    Nah, see this one. It's not like most anime. It's more just like an awesome 80's sci-fi... just animated in Japan. At times it reminds me of an animated Blade Runner. It's a really good movie.