Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Logan's "Fu@#in' nuts!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I actually think Logan's plan could have worked if he had been a little less whacked out and had explained the potential applications better to Rhodes. The psychology behind it is totally sound, the most basic, textbook application of behaviourism: reward them when they perform a desired action, with-hold the reward when they perform an undesirable action. This has been successfully used to train animals since the first domestic canines stopped being wolves and started being dogs. Take a handful of these creatures, put weapons in their hands, and train them to kill other zombies. Now plant these anti-zeds in a zombie-infested town and watch them clear the place out (the other zombies will not instinctively attack the trained ones, seeing them as fellow zeds and not food).
    This idea was touched on a little heavier in the original script, but never got beyond initial domestication in the actual film. Of course the logistal problem they hit on was the reward part: unless you can provide them with something that looks, smells, tastes and feels like recently-deceased long pig, what else can you reward them with? Even if you can get a supply of human flesh without turning to murder, as Logan to his credit managed to do (although even that wouldn't last forever), people have all kinds of irrational, violent reactions to such a practice, as he found out.

Undisclosed

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't think Logan had off time. He was too involved in his "work". The only ones with off time were the bi-curious soldiers hugging and rolling around the hallways...
    Bass now your starting to worry me mate....first a naked Bub now soilder's rollin' around the floor with each other? lol

Between all that gay sex, John & Miguel gettin' a three some on with Sara.....and Logan & Bub doin' the ol' back door in out, in out....hope they had good ventilation down there!
    Last edited by DEAD BEAT; 18-Aug-2010 at 11:55 PM.
    I SMELL SOME POO...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I'm surprised Logan's insanity didn't spill out into his "off hours", so everyone would notice. I mean, didn't he at least get seen once running down the hall nude, signing "I'm a little teapot"?

Kind of hard to hide being insane.
    But I don't think Logan was insane. Was he extremely eccentric and perhaps a bit crazy? Sure. But in a world where the dead come back and eat people and you're stuck in an underground facility without seeing the light of day in who knows how long -- everyone is bound to go to varying extents a little crazy.

He was following out his theory that he had and seeking empirical justifications of his theory as a man of science. We can argue that his theory was crazy itself (certainly) but that doesn't mean he himself was insane for following his methodology as he did. He followed his supposition and ultimately, who knows, if given more time and more research -- perhaps he would have been proven to be correct.

There aren't many actors that can really reach the depths of this character like Liberty did. I'd go as far as saying that if "Day" had been anything other than a low-budget horror flick (because face it, low-budget horror flicks are almost always frowned upon by the 'elite') then Liberty would have won awards for his role and what he presented as the character of Dr. Logan. I'd cast my vote if it was re-made today with Tom Wilkinson (who certainly shines as a great actor) being the first person I could think of that would really stand out in the role.

Logan was consumed in his work, yes. But, what else was he to do? Become an alcoholic like McDermott? Turn to faith like John? Reach for power as Rhodes? His work was his life -- and I don't know that Logan before the events of "Day" would have been much different prior to the apocalypse. I could see Logan's co-workers laughing at him as he's passed up for research grant after grant because his theories were "out there" but then being the first to admit after Logan achieved something that the eccentric "Dr. Frankenstein" was one of the most brilliant minds they knew and almost always accomplished whatever research goal that was set and raised the bar for all the other co-workers he had. Even Sarah admitted and respected the man's ability even if vehemently disagreeing with his approach.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 19-Aug-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    But I don't think Logan was insane. Was he extremely eccentric and perhaps a bit crazy? Sure. But in a world where the dead come back and eat people and you're stuck in an underground facility without seeing the light of day in who knows how long -- everyone is bound to go to varying extents a little crazy.
    I think that's understating it a bit. Go back & listen to the tape. The guy is raving at his dead mother about some long ago incident over his fathers stockings (socks). The hints are there, he's disturbed, & it started before he ever set foot in that cave...

United States
    I think it's understating it too.

Look at the man's lab conditions. He may have been following a methodology but he was also ignoring the most basic of sanitary conditions.

It was overplayed to the point that anyone with even a passing knowledge of science would got wtf when they see his lab.

However, it also gave his whole lab and character that secret underground sinister lab feel. And that was one of the best positives of the movie. So I can only get so critical of it.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Logan, no doubt, physically abused Bub as he was taught by his father that it was perfectly acceptable behavior as a "dominant" male with a subservant individual (or zombie in this case).
    Bub didn't even like being dissed for not being saluted back. I doubt he would've taken an asswooping.

Personally, I'd like to hear more about Aunt Alicia...

UK
    The only ones with off time were the bi-curious soldiers hugging and rolling around the hallways...
    Ah... that explains the 'beef treats' then.

Undisclosed

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Ah... that explains the 'beef treats' then.
    ha ha! finally some one who shares my sense of humor...no offense Bass & Darth your still my mates!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    ha ha! finally some one who shares my sense of humor...no offense Bass & Darth your still my mates!

So you consider your strange addiction to penis to be humor? Hrmm. I have another word for it.

WTF was this thread about, again?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So you consider your strange addiction to penis to be humor? Hrmm. I have another word for it.

Does the phrase "off the rails" mean anything to anyone?

And this is coming from me so you know it's bad!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed

Wink

he if you got it flawnt it girlfriend!lol

but were still bud's.....speaking of which u got any? lol
    Last edited by DEAD BEAT; 19-Aug-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    I SMELL SOME POO...

United States
    he if you got it flawnt it girlfriend!lol

but were still bud's.....speaking of which u got any? lol
    See, he's not just addicted to dick jokes...weed humor is a close second!

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Is that all? I think he makes it out eventually...

Note the full title of the book
    I think this takes place before the events in 'Day of the Dead'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think this takes place before the events in 'Day of the Dead'.
    "The Rising of Bub" title points to that being true...

Undisclosed

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    See, he's not just addicted to dick jokes...weed humor is a close second!
    maybe so...but in the case of a zombie take over just load me up with all the hookers & weed one can get their hands on!
    I SMELL SOME POO...