Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Congrats to Our British Friends

Super Moderator

UK
    But then if all public holidays cost the country that much, do we then need less public holidays?

There seems to be a mixed picture of this apparent cost to the economy:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Roy...15980420?f=rss
    Brits will spend £480m for the Royal Wedding, with an average of £29 per person, according to figures by Moneysupermarket.com.

To this, Sky News Business Correspondent Dharshini David said: "It is an interesting estimate from the CBI - but then of course, three of the recent/upcoming bank holidays happen every year, and assuming the cost of the disruption is spread equally across the four, the "cost" of tomorrow's is £1.5bn.

"That's about 0.1% of GDP so in terms of the impact on year-on-year growth, it's likely to be minimal once you weigh up the impact on tourism etc."

The event will boost tourism which is of huge value to the economy; it is worth £97bn per annum and supports two million jobs, according to visitEngland.
    Now, I'm not sure if this is a figment of my imagination, or if it didn't happen in the end, but I recall reading/hearing something about the Royal Wedding replacing a public holiday further down the line - so that would mean no additional cost - however it's entirely possible that that suggestion would have pissed people off who would demand that it be an extra public holiday ... but again, I'm not sure if I dreamed that, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about it way back in last year sometime.

There was an interesting suggestion that the Royal Wedding would inspire more consumerism than England's miserable effort at last year's World Cup too.

Now, if I had a choice, I'd rather spend money on an extra holiday such as this, than on £120m per day just to service deficit interest rates - that money gains nothing back, and that's just to stand still IIRC.

Of course, points can be bandied back-and-forth from this point on, but I think we can predict each other's responses ... so what's the point in the hassle?

However, what we can all agree on, I'm sure, is that Kate and Pippa Middleton are fit as.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-May-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    You're congratulating me on this!? Serious bro?

Crazy world we live in.

Confederation of British Industry put the total cost at £6bn, we made back 2bn, so that's a cost of £4bn but I think those estimates were a bit over the top.

Either way....I cannot, absolutely cannot for the life of me understand why people would put up a middle class art student and a balding inbred on a pedestal above all others and be suitably distracted by all the shit that's happening in Haiti (eating "mud cookies" to survive) Syria, Libya, etc.

I don't really care if that offends or gets the royalists/conservatives here off their bar stools...there's no doubt about it, the sheer number of people who paid £75 to camp in Clapham Common, four miles from the actual event, tells you the level of fever attached to this sillyness. Madness. I got better things to waste my time on both on this board and in my day to day life.

KM's quite a dish though, her sis is pretty smokin' too. I blame Harry Potter for all this.
    Abit long in the tooth here for Potter, but you can blame Monty Python, Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, The old St Trinian films (haven't caught the new versions yet, more the pity. ) Hammer Films, James Bond, Richard Burton, Masterpiece theatre, Sherlock Holmes - etc, etc.

Wayne Z
    "And since none of our contestants suceeded in summarizing Proust, we give the award to the girl with the biggest tits. "

And now ... The reason The Infected couldn't crash William and Kate's wedding?
    They got hung up in the queue ...
    ( cue to sound of crickets, no not the sport. )

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But then if all public holidays cost the country that much, do we then need less public holidays?

There seems to be a mixed picture of this apparent cost to the economy:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Roy...15980420?f=rss

Now, I'm not sure if this is a figment of my imagination, or if it didn't happen in the end, but I recall reading/hearing something about the Royal Wedding replacing a public holiday further down the line - so that would mean no additional cost - however it's entirely possible that that suggestion would have pissed people off who would demand that it be an extra public holiday ... but again, I'm not sure if I dreamed that, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about it way back in last year sometime.

There was an interesting suggestion that the Royal Wedding would inspire more consumerism than England's miserable effort at last year's World Cup too.

Now, if I had a choice, I'd rather spend money on an extra holiday such as this, than on £120m per day just to service deficit interest rates - that money gains nothing back, and that's just to stand still IIRC.

Of course, points can be bandied back-and-forth from this point on, but I think we can predict each other's responses ... so what's the point in the hassle?

However, what we can all agree on, I'm sure, is that Kate and Pippa Middleton are fit as.
    Yeah I can't argue with your last point there.

Personally I'm sure its done overall good for the country but I'm sceptical about the value attached to royalty in general. However if it brings in tourist dollars, then great - but as I say, I wasn't there nor did I care really what happened either way, but yeah - KM and PM are proper dishes!

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Abit long in the tooth here for Potter, but you can blame Monty Python, Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, The old St Trinian films (haven't caught the new versions yet, more the pity. ) Hammer Films, James Bond, Richard Burton, Masterpiece theatre, Sherlock Holmes - etc, etc.

Wayne Z
    "And since none of our contestants suceeded in summarizing Proust, we give the award to the girl with the biggest tits. "

And now ... The reason The Infected couldn't crash William and Kate's wedding?
    They got hung up in the queue ...
    ( cue to sound of crickets, no not the sport. )
    hahahah brill - thanks for listing those! Brought a smile to my face...I was of course only kidding about Hairy Plopper....! hehehe
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    . I blame Harry Potter for all this.
    ???? You don't remember how freaking crazy everyone went over Charles and Dianna? That insanity put this one to shame!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    ???? You don't remember how freaking crazy everyone went over Charles and Dianna? That insanity put this one to shame!
    not me, like 8 years before i was a sperm.

Kazakhstan
    Not really bothered, the faux nationalist cheer winds me up a bit though. On the day I woke up around 4pm & then went to a Restarts concert
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

United States

KM's quite a dish though, her sis is pretty smokin' too. I blame Harry Potter for all this.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I was born 1981 which I think was their wedding year? So yeah I did kinda miss that one, but I did see a documentary once, there do seems to be far less commemorative plates this year....!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.