Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to Our British Friends

Undisclosed

Congrats to Our British Friends

Congratulations and well done from across the pond.

Yes, I actually got up at 4AM EST to watch the Royal Vows, and everything seemed to turn out quite well.

Though I'd thought Kate was a nice enough looking young lady before, this day she turned out to be a stunner.

It was prestige without the level of pomp that past ceremonies sorta of rubbed in your face, and all was done in good time.

Good Wishes to the newlyweds, and for the rest of the nation as well.

Wayne Z

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    .....seriously? You woke up early for it?

Judging by the reponses I got in the shoutbox the other day.....most of our UK members don't really give a shit about it...
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Apr-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Yes, I actually got up at 4AM EST to watch the Royal Vows, and everything seemed to turn out quite well.
    Were you expecting an unexpected twist ending to it?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    May the union of your economy and increased tourism be a blessed one!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

j.p.
    Possibly, but those durn infected missed thier entrance.

Maybe they'll show up for the state dinner?

As for the rest, I'm just a sucker for History as it happens, especially since the world's been having a miserable time of it. War, rumors of War, faminine and pestilence and nuclear mishaps. Sometimes you just want to witness good things.

Wayne Z

United States
    Couldn't respond sooner, as I was busy having morning tea with Lord Crumpet & the Earl of Fancypants. Anyway, I didn't even realize the damn thing was today until I turned the TV on for the 1st time in a long time in the am & stumbled into it.

Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Sometimes you just want to witness good things.
    Then why would you want to watch a WEDDING?!?!?

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

j.p.
    The Royal Wedding, by M. Night Shyamalan. What a twist!

Yeah, not really seeing the big deal about this, especially here in the United States. Exactly why do so many people here care about this? It's two people getting married in a wedding whose budget could have been used to end world hunger, build a rocket to go to Mars, cure cancer, assassinate Andy Dick (this might have been thrown in for free), clone dinosaurs from DNA found inside insects encased in amber, and create sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    'congratulations and well done'?

why?

did somebody achieve something spectacular? i didnt see because every channel was covering that wedding

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    and create sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads.
    Are you knocking my ill-tempered sea bass?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Yeah, not really seeing the big deal about this, especially here in the United States. Exactly why do so many people here care about this?
    i know right? i dont know if its some anglophile thing or just the idea of a 'commoner' marying a prince thats somehow romanticised but this has been all my american friends have talked about for the last 2 weeks but nobody IN england i know actually gives a toss about it.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i know right? i dont know if its some anglophile thing or just the idea of a 'commoner' marying a prince thats somehow romanticised but this has been all my american friends have talked about for the last 2 weeks but nobody IN england i know actually gives a toss about it.
    I know exactly what you're talking about and I find it to be a little ridiculous. I kind of get the feeling all the people in this country wouldn't have cared about the wedding if the TV didn't tell them they should! There was an abundance of news coverage so you just couldn't tune it out. Perhaps just a few weeks of consecutive slow new days perhaps?

Super Moderator

United States
    Don't know. It's a royal wedding, which is somewhat historic and it will hopefully inject some good tourist cash into the London economy. Plus, with the current state of affairs as they are on the world stage, people like distractions.

Some people love it, some people can only ever bitch about this sort of thing...no surprises on either side of the coin and the extreme examples of each are equally as grating on the nerves.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    so glad all this hoopla is almost behind us. and while i am sick to death of it, it's nice to have a somewhat positive story in the news given all the bullshit going on in the world (wars, birth-certificate issues, devastating tsunami's, nuclear power plants on the brink, killer tornadoes, etc).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    on the news right now: "the world event to undo a decade of hatred and fear brought on by nine eleven, now the healing can finally begin" what in the balls?

Super Moderator

UK
    Glad you appreciated the good vibes of it, Wayzim.

There's a section of British society who like to piss all over anyone else's good time - I'm not referring to HPOTD members, btw, rather those who are so sickeningly opposed to it that they believe (in their small political circle jerk where everybody thinks the exact same thing) they have a right to force their opinion on others, spoil a good time, and see themselves as the "majority" ... when they're anything but.

2 billion viewers world wide. An estimated boost to the UK economy of £2billion (putting any public cost far into the shade), and a chance for millions of Brits to enjoy themselves and share something across the nation which brings a smile to their faces as they watch a young couple tie the knot - for the best in people to be brought out collectively as a unifying experience.

There's always going to be cynics, and there's always going to be people who aren't fussed - and while I've personally avoided a lot of talk of it (I almost always avoid TV News as it is, in any form in any country, utterly shit 99% of the time, and I rarely read newspapers), I watched the whole ceremony as well as stuff before and after it, and I actually quite enjoyed it - not for the same things some people enjoyed it for (like dresses and the fairy tale wedding stuff - although I can appreciate the niceness of that) - no, the military precision and organisation of the entire event really impressed me (plus Kate Middleton is, let's be honest, well fit - same goes for her sister ) ... and it really displays the sense of long-standing history and tradition that we in the UK, and as a country, possess that few other countries have (particularly America, which is essentially a very new country - no doubt the cause of some of the fascination you guys have been experiencing across the pond).

I do find it fascinating how there are some people, who claim they "couldn't care less" about the wedding, haven't shut up moaning about it - again I'm referring widely to the most vocal of whingers in the UK - people who were most certainly outnumbered greatly today. Indeed there was a poll recently boiling down to if you were in favour or against the Royal Family - and more than 70% were in favour. Now sure, it's just some little poll, but it illustrates a point (and if the numbers had been reversed, the frothy mouthed minority would claim it as a victorious fact) ... indeed it's also funny how 'folk I've talked to' equals 'everybody in the country' ... an equation that has been asserted across a wide spectrum of issues in the past (and, no doubt, future), but it isn't exactly representative.

A Presidency would cost the UK far more than the Royal Family, who are financially profitable (especially with this wedding to the estimated tune of £2billion), who look after great swathes of land, who employ many people, who represent us on the international stage, and who bring in a shitload of tourism to our country.

It's not the fault of the Royal Family that TV news has - as it always does with everything (be it a big do like this, or some huge disaster) - obsessed over every minute detail for the past however long, particularly this week ... and if you don't like it, you're not forced to watch it. I absolutely fucking cannot stand football, so when it's the bloody World Cup, or that Euro thing, I avoid it like the plague due to my distaste for it - but at the same time I appreciate that many people fucking love it. So for the duration I just avoid anything to do with it that comes my way, and then conversely something will come along that I'm interested in that some won't be.

Some people are absolutely barmy for the Royals and all that, and well, if they're wildly into it - so be it - I mean shit, we obsess about the minutiae of films about rotting corpses that walk the earth, I think we should allow some leeway, you know? Then there's a vocal minority (who strangely believe they're a majority, like all vocal, frothy-mouthed minority fringe elements) who are so disgusted by it all, who I think should "calm down, dear".