Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: the nature of evil...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Do you want me to explain the concept?
    Only as it relates to the nature of evil.

On these forums Khardis is the closest to objective truth in its purest form. You may not like him, what he writes, his opinions, etc, but sometimes the truth is a hard pill, not easy to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommm View Post
    But that is exactly the point I am making, Hitler believed that the Jews where doing wrong, which is fair enough I might believe that my next door neighbour is occasionally stealing electricity from me. This is my right to believe and act upon. But the evil part comes in when he decided that he had the right to remove anothers right to free choice and life.
    Removing another's "right" to free choice and life is not, in itself, evil.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    It's called an inferiority complex. Ted Nugent has a chronic case of it. Hitler was allowed the right to his personal beliefs until he forced them on others, at which point it becomes everyone else's business. If he hated Jews so much, he could have moved to a different country. The fact is, Hitler didn't like much of anyone. (See inferiority complex.)
    Neither of these men suffer(ed) from "inferiority complexe(s)". Enough about Hitler. His acts can only be considered evil from "point of view."

And Ted? Well ... Ted ROCKS in every way, shape, and form. The wife and I love him. Ted is GOOD (from my "point of view", of course. )

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

...the nature of evil...
    Being ugly does not make one evil.

So, what is the nature of evil?

-stray-

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Only as it relates to the nature of evil.
    The nature of the objectivly true evil blinds us to what the objective truth about what is moral in any given situation, however just like the concept of math existed long before any creature could add two and two togheter so is there an objective truth about good and evil. Only our own primitivism hinder us from seeing it.

On these forums Khardis is the closest to objective truth in its purest form. You may not like him, what he writes, his opinions, etc, but sometimes the truth is a hard pill, not easy to swallow.
    Allthough what he writes is not untrue his writings here only represent a part of the truth to mistake it for the whole and pure thruth is a mistake because the instinct to do good to your fellow man and to create rather than to destroy do exists- I belive it exist for a reason, it can be supressed by negative sosiological experiences but it allways exist to some degree to deny it is to deny half of your soul.
    Last edited by Trencher; 17-Aug-2008 at 01:37 AM.

United States
    The nature of the objectivly true evil blinds us to what the objective truth about what is moral in any given situation, however just like the concept of math existed long before any creature could add two and two togheter so is there an objective truth about good and evil. Only our own primitivism hinder us from seeing it.

Although what he writes is not untrue his writings here only represent a part of the truth to mistake it for the whole and pure thruth is a mistake because the instinct to do good to your fellow man and to create rather than to destroy do exists- I belive it exist for a reason, it can be supressed by negative sosiological experiences but it allways exist to some degree to deny it is to deny half of your soul.
    Yes! I believe we are getting somewhere with this discussion. I'll admit that I do not have all of the answers to this very deep subject. This is something that theologians have debated for centuries only to come up with something that fits their particular culture.

But, what is evil? Is it something that only exists in the hearts and minds of men? Or is it something that exists outside of that? If there were no men (or women, not trying to be sexist here), to be influenced by evil, would evil still exist?

-stray-

Norway

But, what is evil? Is it something that only exists in the hearts and minds of men? Or is it something that exists outside of that? If there were no men (or women, not trying to be sexist here), to be influenced by evil, would evil still exist?
    Personally I belive that its the absence of good. To deny reason in order to satiate your basest most primitive desires. Not the desires themselves mind you exept for those created as a perversion of a basic desire. So even though evil and good exist independently of men it only have relevance when humans are there.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Aren't you being evil in imposing your personal views on Hitler by calling his personal belief evil?
    No, because Hitler's views were shown to be hypocritical. Anyone that lives by the belief that might makes right should then gladly accept when someone stronger comes along and kicks his ass, no?

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    he's like if jesus lived, but became a crackhead
    Isn't Ted Nugent vehemently against dope usage?

Neither of these men suffer(ed) from "inferiority complexe(s)".

And Ted? Well ... Ted ROCKS in every way, shape, and form. The wife and I love him. Ted is GOOD (from my "point of view", of course.
    That's nice, however, anyone that compulsorily steers every conversation towards "my gun is bigger than my imagined assailant's gun and I will shoot first" suffers an inferiority complex. "The truth is often bitter, left unsaid."

Norway
    No, because Hitler's views were shown to be hypocritical. Anyone that lives by the belief that might makes right should then gladly accept when someone stronger comes along and kicks his ass, no?
    Ever seen Der Untergang?

Undisclosed
    Ever seen Der Untergang?
    I only know of it; apparently it's a work of fiction based in a factual setting.

Perhaps evil is the prevalent state, and "good" is the absence of making excuses for it.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 17-Aug-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Norway
    It is not a work of fiction it is a dramatisation of the story told by the secretary, it gives some insight into Hitlers mindset. He killed himself out of spite but he did mention that the well disiplined eastern people deserved to win and that the Germans deserved to be wiped out. It is a good movie I have written a review on this other site http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_3065.html.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Personally I belive that its the absence of good. To deny reason in order to satiate your basest most primitive desires. Not the desires themselves mind you exept for those created as a perversion of a basic desire. So even though evil and good exist independently of men it only have relevance when humans are there.
    So you are saying fat people are evil, they deny reason and satiate their MOST BASIC primitive desire constantly.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

...the nature of evil...

United States
    I agree.

That's nice, however, anyone that compulsorily steers every conversation towards "my gun is bigger than my imagined assailant's gun and I will shoot first" suffers an inferiority complex. "The truth is often bitter, left unsaid."
    In your opinion, of course. Still, to suffer from an "inferiority complex" is not evil, even if said "complex" causes one to harm another.

Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    So you are saying fat people are evil, they deny reason and satiate their MOST BASIC primitive desire constantly.
    I'm convinced that people are not evil. They can be influenced by evil, and some might choose to follow evil willingly, but they are not evil. Evil is its own thing.

-stray-

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I agree.

In your opinion, of course. Still, to suffer from an "inferiority complex" is not evil, even if said "complex" causes one to harm another.

I'm convinced that people are not evil. They can be influenced by evil, and some might choose to follow evil willingly, but they are not evil. Evil is its own thing.

-stray-
    So obesity is evil?

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    I dont see it as a very big evil but..
    How much fat a body has also has to do with genetics but gluttony is evil, even if you can eat loads withouth gaining weight.
    However you can argue that they are only evil to themselves.
    Let me use an example: zombies rule the earth and your family is dependent on you to get them food. I would say if you took food from your family members withouth needing it and letting them starve just because you thought it tasted good then that would be evil, and if you let them starve to death just so you could stuff your face some more then that would be even more evil.

So fat is not necesarly evil but gluttony is.

United States
    Santa Claus is evil. He's a glutton.

Better plug that chimney come December.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Santa Claus is evil. He's a glutton.

Better plug that chimney come December.