Thread: Movie review: Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (light spoilers)

Dying

Undisclosed

Movie review: Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (light spoilers)

Watched this movie last night and had a great time with it. When's the last time anyone was able to say that about a movie with Robert Englund in it?

The flick takes place in a world in which Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers are real and (in some places) admired for their killing sprees. Leslie Vernon is either a wannabee killer or a killer who's looking for some fame. He invites a film crew to come document his life, his friendships (including his now-retired mentor and his wife) and his plans for his next developing murder spree. All is not what it seems and there's some surprises as well as a great deal of the kind of tongue in cheek humor ("So would you say you're pro-life, Leslie?", "Mikey, Jay and Fred, those guys redefined it, turned it into an art') that I like.

The acting is good from the two leads, less so from some of the other players. In particular, Zelda "Everyone must cross over" Rubinstein provides a terrible performance that is almost distracting enough to have made me turn the movie off: her one scene, based on how the director keeps cutting away, I think they must have been feeding her lines one by one.

Englund is given a decent role, basically playing Donald Pleasance from Halloween and doing about as well as Pleasance did.

This is a very clever low budget movie, one that turns its shortcomings into assets and, tongue planted firmly in cheek, it entertains. Well worth catching on cable.
    Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Undisclosed
    I rented it from work (Netflix) and thought it was pretentious and goofy.