Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The final piece

United States

The final piece

I figured it out. The final piece of the puzzle. The other thing that bugs me about Diary. . . .

There was no Zombie chow down scene. What gives? There was a nice extended group buffet in every other GAR zombie movie. Even Land. In diary, all we get is mommy zombie chowing down on daddy. But no big sick out gore fest gross zombie eat-em-up. What the hell?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If I had to guess, I would say because the film is shot in the first person perspective. If you saw a bunch of zombies chowing down on dead people around you like in the previous films, would you hang around?

It would have made a cool scene for Jason and his filming obsession, though.

And on a side note - Why does it have to be just like the older films? Expectation can be a bitch.

Undisclosed
    I warned everyone about five months ago that this film would be extremely divisive and not to expect a zombie epic. But did anyone listen? Nooooooooo!

Man, I hate being right all the time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    If I had to guess, I would say because the film is shot in the first person perspective. If you saw a bunch of zombies chowing down on dead people around you like in the previous films, would you hang around?
    The surveillance cameras in and around the mansion don't run and hide. We got plenty of other footage from them; this could have been part of it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    The surveillance cameras in and around the mansion don't run and hide. We got plenty of other footage from them; this could have been part of it.
    I've only seen the film a few times, but....does someone get really chowed down on before they turn and rise again? Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't remember it...

United States
    No, I don't think anyone really got eaten. But they could have done a feast scene, if they used the mansion's cameras for the scene.

United States
    I'm not saying that they all have to be the same. I'm just saying that that is one of my favorite parts in all the previous movies. . and this movie doesn't have it. Sure maybe its cliche. . .but it's an enjoyable cliche. Once again. . nothing to do with my expectations. I just noticed it after a few viewings. . so I couldn't have been expecting it now could I?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Sure maybe its cliche. . .but it's an enjoyable cliche.
    I agree with you that it's an enjoyable aspect of most every other Romero zombie film. However, keep in mind that it served a specific purpose in both DAWN and DAY: the zombies, which are purposely portrayed as ineffectual in both films particularly DAWN and the originally-scripted DAY, have their final devastating revenge against the human characters that have become complacent with the situation. Without any real villains, I can't see this as being anything but filler in DIARY.

United States
    It's a logical point of what's going on. Zombies exist only to eat the living. Over the course of any timeframe, you have to believe they're going to actually get their chow on. Going through the whole movie without them managing to corner and chomp on a group is against the odds.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Without any real villains, I can't see this as being anything but filler in DIARY.
    Yeah, maybe. But it would have added something to the movie that I would have enjoyed. And that would have been nice.

And they had a great chow scene in Land, and the zombies weren't really the villains in that one. . .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And they had a great chow scene in Land, and the zombies weren't really the villains in that one. . .
    True....but they were chowing down on the armed forces guys. So it was turning the "chow down" scene on it's head to where the good guy(zombies) were eating on the bad guys(armed forces). So it still had the same meaning, only reversed. That's my view on it, anyway...

United States
    I just saw it as George "throwing a bone" to his fans. Maybe because it is so expected. I dunno, I just would have liked to have seen it in Diary. It's just one more thing that lowers the enjoyment of the movie for me.

And before I get called shallow. .etc etc. Please see my other posts for my other problems with the movie. This thread was just to discuss this particular issue thankyouverymuch.

And you know. . .In Dawn, Day and Land it was the "bad guys" getting eaten. Bikers, soldiers, soldiers.
    Last edited by clanglee; 12-Jul-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just saw it as George "throwing a bone" to his fans. Maybe because it is so expected. I dunno, I just would have liked to have seen it in Diary. It's just one more thing that lowers the enjoyment of the movie for me.

And before I get called shallow. .etc etc. Please see my other posts for my other problems with the movie. This thread was just to discuss this particular issue thankyouverymuch.

And you know. . .In Dawn, Day and Land it was the "bad guys" getting eaten. Bikers, soldiers, soldiers.
    Why no love for Night? Those were protagonists getting eaten...

United States
    Why no love for Night? Those were protagonists getting eaten...
    No no. . . much love for Night. Loads of it. But I was just pointing out that the bad guys getting eaten isn't relly the reverse, because that's what usually happens. Night is actually the opposite in this situation. Ya know?

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Yeah, this was basically Romero's explanation for the lack of "banquet scenes" in the commentary.