Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Dead Conversation

United States

Unlimited Dead Conversation

Since just about every thread spirals way, way off-topic, I decided to create one of these. Since there is no topic, it is impossible to go off-topic here.

This is a catchall zombie thread. Any and all random babblings/insights/arguments about the zombie genre is welcome here. It's just a free conversation.

I'll start the ball rolling by posting a few of my own random beliefs:

1. Zombies should never run/speak/leap/act like living human beings.

2. Dawn '04 wasn't bad, and the things people complain most about are explained in the movie; you only have to pay attention.

3. Dawn '78 was the pinnacle for Romero, and it's been downhill from there.

4. Shaun of the Dead was not funny. At all.

5. The "Zombie Survival Guide" has several examples of pure crap that are totally unfeasible, and would get you killed in a real zombie outbreak.

6. There is no way to survive the hypothetical zombie uprising; it's an unwinnable scenario. We'd all be ghoulmeat before the onslaught of the living dead.

7. There is no Nirvana in the wake of a zombie apocalype, where everyone just decides to get along "for the common good". It's a fairytale.

Any argument is welcome.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i have always been a huge fan of day and think that it is the pinnacle of romero's dead movies (and career in general). i love it because it is dark, claustrophobic and has some of the more interesting characters to appear in any of his dead movies.

i know this is all a matter of personal taste but i'll shoot anyone who doesn't agree with me and take their stuff.

sorry, i was channeling another thread there for a second.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    i have always been a huge fan of day and think that it is the pinnacle of romero's dead movies (and career in general). i love it because it is dark, claustrophobic and has some of the more interesting characters to appear in any of his dead movies.
    Day has always been "meh" for me. Better than all the other non-Romero zombie crap that infested the '80s? Hell, yes. But pale compared to Dawn. It just seemed like "here's another story about a bunch of people holed up from zombies, and they don't get along". Just like Dawn, only without the coolness of a mall to run around in. It did have Rhodes, though, and that's always a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by scipio70
    i know this is all a matter of personal taste but i'll shoot anyone who doesn't agree with me and take their stuff. p
    Hey, don't be a dick-skinner!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Since just about every thread spirals way, way off-topic, I decided to create one of these. Since there is no topic, it is impossible to go off-topic here.

This is a catchall zombie thread. Any and all random babblings/insights/arguments about the zombie genre is welcome here. It's just a free conversation.

I'll start the ball rolling by posting a few of my own random beliefs:

2. Dawn '04 wasn't bad, and the things people complain most about are explained in the movie; you only have to pay attention.

5. The "Zombie Survival Guide" has several examples of pure crap that are totally unfeasible, and would get you killed in a real zombie outbreak.

6. There is no way to survive the hypothetical zombie uprising; it's an unwinnable scenario. We'd all be ghoulmeat before the onslaught of the living dead.

7. There is no Nirvana in the wake of a zombie apocalype, where everyone just decides to get along "for the common good". It's a fairytale.

Any argument is welcome.
    I agree with you 100%.

United States

I am completely with SRP on this point. Though I enjoyed his handbook, quite a lot of the book is filled with silliness. What kind of moron, for example, thinks that destroying a staircase with an axe while standing on it is a viable option? He also suggests machetes over firearms (hence the mantra: Blades don't need reloading) and suggests a wholly insufficient supply of ammunition if you happen to choose a firearm.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    What kind of moron, for example, thinks that destroying a staircase with an axe while standing on it is a viable option?
    That's one that always made me gag. He makes it seem like destroying a staircase is as simple as climbing to the top, turning around, pulling a string, and the thing collapses. In reality, even if you have the right tools to take a staircase apart, it's work. It'll take half an hour just to pry up and remove 3 or 4 risers (and you're going to have to remove more than that). It's not like you'd have all day to do this, with ghouls nipping at your heels.

And if you're dealing with a concrete-and-steel staircase (like you'd find in an office building or parking garage), you can just forget it. Unless you've got a construction crew in your pocket, it's just not going to happen.

Canada
    I agree Dawn was George's best, Night was break through and although I do
    like Day, I can see the decline from there on in. Wasn't much of a fan of Land
    and Diary didn't thrill me much either.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I am completely with SRP on this point. Though I enjoyed his handbook, quite a lot of the book is filled with silliness. What kind of moron, for example, thinks that destroying a staircase with an axe while standing on it is a viable option? He also suggests machetes over firearms (hence the mantra: Blades don't need reloading) and suggests a wholly insufficient supply of ammunition if you happen to choose a firearm.
    i with the two of you here. the zombie survival guide is an entertaining, diverting book but as some sort of blueprint for making it through zombieville without being turned into human tartar, it falls a bit short in places.

excuse me while i go walk around the forum like i'm hot sh*t. sorry, not everyone can be as cool as i am.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States

As far as #1 is concerned, I again am in total agreement with you, though I sort of bought Bub saying "Hello Aunt Alicia" in DAY.

But with #2, while I agree that DAWN 04 was not totally unredeemable, I must say that in comparison to DAWN 78 is was totally inferior, IMHO. My complaint is the running zombies (as you pointed this out in your statement #1 "Zombies should never Run" I assume you agree) and the conceit of naming the film Dawn of the Dead, which was a major mistep. Character development, I feel, was rather weak as well. And those putos on the commentary track barely acknowledge GAR!!! But, again, there were things that I did like about DOTD 04 and it admittedly rates among the better zombie films that have come out within the past decade, though again not as well done, insightful or fun as DOTD 78. Let's face it, few zombie films could compete with GAR's DOTD 78 (even to some degree the following GAR zombie films), however, DOTD 04 invites these comparisons to a classic favorite, so if it gains the wrath of fans then that is a pox that it brought down on itself. Had it called itself, I dunno, "Crossroads Mall" or "Zombies R Us" I think that it would not be despised on such a wide scale.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 21-Aug-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed

Completely agree. Theyre dead, theyre all messed up.

I agree if you take dawn04 as just a zombie flick. If you take away the name and the classic that is the original then its a decent fun no brainer. Zombie smashing fun. Dawn for the mtv generation.

Whoah there. Day is a classic it was a great way to finish the trilogy but each to their own. All installments of the holy three I feel fleshed out the world and showed a new perspective on the destation that is Z-day.

Shaun was a great film but Im compromised I love simn pegg and edgar wright and add them ( romero fanboys ) to zombies. I thought it would fell on its face but I own the dvd and saw it in the cinema three times.

The round goes to scip. Im a big fan of the survival guide but there are quite a few holes in it, some parts will stand strong against the hoardes and others fall flat on their face in my own opinion.

Touche sir.

No but you could make youreself a nirvana. When the choice is starve or work and help society most people would do whatever they needed to survive. Id rather do manual labour than dodging zeds and bandits while searching for food.
    Why arent you laughing?

Canada
    I gotta a good name for Dawn04

"I wanna rip of a classic zombie flick"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyHicks View Post

Would have been more accurate, for sure.

United States
    I finally got to reserve a copy of Plague of the Dead: Thunder and Ashes at my local library. It's currently "being acquired by the library", so it may take some time to come in (I've had Day By Day Armageddon reserved for a month, and it still hasn't come in).

I'm looking forward to it greatly; The Morningstar Strain was the best zombie book I've read (and I've read a whole boatload of them), so I'm expecting a great story. I could do without the whole "jackass CIA agent causing trouble for the heroes" subplot, but, other than that, the first book was nearly perfect.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyHicks View Post

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    I agree with you 100%.
    I disagree with your agreement 100%