Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical - vehicle or house?

United States

Hypothetical - vehicle or house?

You know the dead are attacking, but it's early on and none have been reported near your neighborhood yet. You're outside your house, with a group of neighbors, talking about possible contingency plans. All of a sudden, a warning cry is heard, and you see a mass of the undead coming down the street.
    What do you do? Run for the house, even though it's not as fortified as you'd have liked, or go for your SUV in the driveway and take your chances on the road?
    Either choice has pros and cons, of course...but which would you choose and why?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    What do you do? Run for the house, even though it's not as fortified as you'd have liked, or go for your SUV in the driveway and take your chances on the road?
    Hit the road. I have friends and relatives who live in less densely populated and more sustainable areas, and I would try to make it to one of their homes.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Hit the road. I have friends and relatives who live in less densely populated and more sustainable areas, and I would try to make it to one of their homes.

I agree. The only way i would stay in the house is if I was certain help was coming. However, in a situation such as this one can we really be sure of anything? Not to say that staying in one place isn't a good idea.

Old rural house, BAD.

Nice shiny mall with trucks blocking the entrances? CAN I GET A HELL YEAH!?!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    The road fo' sho.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    The road fo' sho.
    Wow, yuse a bad mo' fo' yo!!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Of course, you would duck into the house, and use every available second to tote every useful item you can carry out to the vehicle.

After that, nobody's staying at home.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Of course, you would duck into the house, and use every available second to tote every useful item you can carry out to the vehicle.

After that, nobody's staying at home.
    I'm with you buddy, grab some potential weapons (knives, bat, etc...) then get the **ll out of there, why wait till they start piling up outside.
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Wow, yuse a bad mo' fo' yo!!

That's what I want the zombies to think!

United States
    Yeah I would hit the road,and find a safer place.

Nice shiny mall with trucks blocking the entrances? CAN I GET A HELL YEAH!?!

HELL YEAH!

United States
    I'd get the wife and kid and jump in my big semi tractor, It's got 2 beds, extra clothes and winter gear, a C B radio, a power inverter that runs my refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, crock pot, tv, computer. I Have about 2 weeks worth of can food and water stored at all times under the bottom bunk, heat and air....and I am 10 minuets from being out in the middle of the boonstocks. And I got a killer hideout in the woods..but thats for another thread.
    Last edited by Zombie Snack; 17-Oct-2008 at 06:31 AM.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States

Thumbs up

In that case right there since it would seem based on the choices the house is not fortified and prepared and there is a sizable horde of undead approaching I would have to take to the road, I would then try to pick up friends and family and make for some place safe OR make some place safe.

I hate the idea of having to be a nomad, and abandoning familiar surroundings but if the threat is as you stated I would have to get out of there. In my family I just do not have the support to sustain a "fortified private residence" for very long.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    Yeah I would hit the road,and find a safer place.

HELL YEAH!

I see we have a Steve Austin fan i our midst!!

Stone cold wouldn't run from anyone. I'll tell you that much!!

United States
    I see we have a Steve Austin fan i our midst!!
    What's the six million dollar man got to do with this? *sigh* I really am just that old aren't I?

House. The streets are going to be mayhem getting out of town. Traffic jams and panic. Attempting to hit the stores for supplies would be too dangerous. You'd have more to fear from panicked looters with guns than from the zombies. Your best bet is to hunker for a bit and let the idiots take the brunt.

I'd back my car into the garage and close it, then fortify as best I could. I'd get the gas from the other car and lawmower and get it all into my SUV. I'd pack my food/water and any surplus of weapons I could gather into the SUV. Basically, in a moment's notice I could be hitting the SUV and on the road.

Then I'd hunker down and wait. I'd leave my house when, (a) the zombies are a threat to me if I stay, (b) the supplies run low, (c) the zombies are in complete takeover and I need to start thinking of a long term better place.

Undisclosed
    I live in a very remote rural area so if the dead are seen in this area they are likely to be even worse in the cities, so I would head for the house and start to prepare.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I agree. If it's this early on, but there's already a 'mass of the undead' making its way down my street, I'd probably grab what I could and hightail it...this depending on any news reports (complete glutting of traffic, high levels of 'outbreaks' patterned in such a way to make it difficult to get to the areas I'd want to head towards etc.) which might otherwise have swayed me from such a course.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany