Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Dawn seem so exclusive?

Undisclosed

Why does Dawn seem so exclusive?

Why is it that Dawn of the Dead seems almost exclusive to DVD? The only time I've ever seen Dawn on TV was IFC and that is a rare occassion. Never on Sci-Fi, HBO, Showtime, etc. But, Night, Day, and Land are on alot on channels like Sci-Fi and Encore. But why would a movie as classic as Dawn of the Dead be so hidden? The Excorcist, The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead, etc. You can catch them on all the time. BUT NOT DAWN! Why not?

United States
    Might have something to do with the violence. I once counted something like 50 explicit kills in the movie (and like 120 overall).

Undisclosed
    but even like HBO and Starz are void of DAWN showings... i dunno. ur prolly right.

Christmas Island
    Dawn was always a taboo flick for TV because of the gore. Now when they can finally show it on cable somewhere it has become too passé to air.

Norway
    I have seen day on Showtime, but I think the effects in dawn are so poor but the action and story are so good that the movie falls between two chairs not good enough for serious promotion and not bad enough to bee shown as a ironic joke.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    Why is it that Dawn of the Dead seems almost exclusive to DVD? The only time I've ever seen Dawn on TV was IFC and that is a rare occassion. Never on Sci-Fi, HBO, Showtime, etc. But, Night, Day, and Land are on alot on channels like Sci-Fi and Encore. But why would a movie as classic as Dawn of the Dead be so hidden? The Excorcist, The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead, etc. You can catch them on all the time. BUT NOT DAWN! Why not?
    Dawn has been aired on TV in the UK quite a bit over the last five years. The extended cut always seems to crop up on BBC2 and/or Living at least once a year. Last year Living showed Dawn twice in one week!

United States
    I saw Dawn on Cinemax one night back in....1998 if I'm not mistaken. I was SHOCKED that I could watch it without having to pop in my vhs tape (remember those?). That was the first and only time I saw it on ANY television.

United States
    I recently was told by a theater owner who was doing a GAR retrospective that he had wanted to screen DOTD, but Rubenstien basically was a prick about it and made the fee so costly that is was next to impossible to afford.

So perhaps this is the reason why DOTD does not get much airtime - even on cable - in the USA. It stands to reason that in the UK and elsewhere in Europe they do not have the same problem - Rubenstein, that is - because Rubenstein I think does not have authority over the euro release and distribution which in the contractual agreement with Rubenstein and Romero when Argento produced/bankrolled the film was to go solely to Argento. Not sure, but perhaps this is the reason.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    I remember watching Dawn on Showtime a few years ago.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    About 10 summers ago HBO was playing DAWN constantly, all summer long. Even a bit into the autumn. I have it taped off of there somewhere... I'd like to dig that out and compare it to all the other versions I own and see if it's any different.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    well the demand and shall we say overall 'caring' for the movie ent up when it was rediscovered on cable in the early 80's so its quickly become the king of the hill as far as romero's films goes. as he said about day. "the ben hur of zombie films"

United States
    It can't be just the violence, I mean Iv'e seen worst movies on tv, like Day for example. If you want a laugh just watch that move on tv and cringe at the horrible dubbing.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Undisclosed
    Could be the poor special evects, and the zombie makeup, I have seen more violent movies on tv on tv and cable, so I dont think that could be it, I happen to be very found of it (Roger more like it) it's hard to say, but you are right I have never seen it on tv or cable
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    quite a few moons ago at halloween, cinemax (i think) did a george romero marathon. they showed creepshow, martin and dawn. between the films there were interview segments with romero. i have it on VHS somewhere.
    Last edited by Mike70; 21-Oct-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post

Well watch for it near Halloween it's been running on Bravo for 2 years now but at late nights!