Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are your views on the P$3?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Give it a year when 360 games start looking wank compared to the latest PC titles, tune will change
    Anyway if you know what your doing you can build a high spec PC for the price the 360 was on launch
    360 games pretty much DO look wank compared to PC games...

but hey, I plug it in, and it works
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    360 games pretty much DO look wank compared to PC games...

but hey, I plug it in, and it works
    The 360? Yeah, when it works. But I don't have to tell someone on his 4th 360 that.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Meh, I would rather have a 360 that can play any game made for it with out graphical hiccups.

Then have to worry about upgrading ram, graphics, and sound cards every 3-5 months to play the newest game.

I got my 360 on launch day in the united states, and the worst thing that happened to it was the power brick died one day.

The PS3 had potential, but it was squandered with shoddy marketing and a lack of good titles.

Maybe make a poll for this thread?
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ooh, Coin stuck his foot in that one. Bravo Tricky & Aces.

Also add in that PCs just are better for shooters (let's no argue, PC just is better for shooters), and that console games are built on PCs in the first place, and well ... shut yo' mouf.
    Bah....

I'd take anyone here on kbm vs joypad!

ANYONE!!!!!

Come on peeps...who's up for beating me at halo 2 PC with their Keyboard? Let's f**kin' AVE IT!
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 17-Dec-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    I was never a fan of the Playstation brand & always went the other way with consoles. Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast, Xbox & Xbox 360 so the PS3 never piqued any intrest from me. I could live without their exclusive titles & all of the other great games that I was interested in are either exclusive to the 360 or multi-platform. To get Blu-Ray I just purchased a Blu-Ray player. Makes it easier if there is a problem as well. Now if I have a problem with my Blu-Ray play I don't also lose my gaming console when it needs to be repaired.

As to the debate between PC & console gaming, I'll always choose a console over a PC. Being 43 I have played many games on both PC & many different consoles. I just prefer being able to sit in my comfy recliner, with my wireless controller & microphone, playing games on my console on my 46 inch 1080p LCD TV . Personal preference & comfort for me .

Super Moderator

UK
    Then have to worry about upgrading ram, graphics, and sound cards every 3-5 months to play the newest game.
    Can we please stop having folks saying this sort of thing. First of all, it flat out ISN'T true, FACT.

Second of all, when do you ever have to change "the sound card" for a game?

As for RAM - nope, in the five years I've had my current rig, I doubled the RAM - one upgrade, didn't cost much at all. Same with the graphics card, upgraded it once, didn't cost much - I wasn't putting in much cash or effort into the upgrades either.

Also, I bought a mid-range rig at the time anyway.

I've recently bought (now being built) a spiffing high-end rig. Mind you - it's PRIMARY purpose is for video editing. Gaming is SECONDARY.

I don't buy a PC specifically for gaming. Gaming is just something I can do when I get a new rig, and in this case, I've specifically sought to future proof myself well.

Also - PC games are a lot less expensive than console games.

Average 360 game is £40 to £45 a shot. PC game, £25 to £30.

Consoles - new ones - catch up with PC, and possibly stand a bit ahead, but very quickly fall behind in terms of resolution and extra detail (such as Tricky explained about FarCry 2). About 2/3's through a console's life span, usually, they start getting overtaken by the latest and greatest PC games quite often, and then the PC remains ahead until the new console comes along to catch up again.

PC gaming online, also, is free (most of the time - barring possible Steam costs (I don't use it, so don't know), and of course the whole WoW thing (but you'd be a moronic company not to make a bit of green off the back of such dedicated individuals)...)

Meanwhile on Xbox360, it's what, £50 a year?! Eff that!

Also, of course, PCs do far more than a console ever could - although methinks Sony were wanting to prove otherwise with the PS3 (but failed miserably). If you buy a gaming console, you want a gaming console, not a PC.

If you buy a PC, you want a PC that does a whole ass-load of sh*t - including (if you're so inclined) play games.

Now, let's throw this silly "upgrade every three months" garbage out the window, as it's simply not true. It's like if I said "the PS3 is teh most successful console evar!!1!!1!!", or "the 360 is fortress of unbreakable hardware" - I could say it, but it doesn't make either statement true.

Fact is, console titles are built on PCs. PCs provide different gaming experiences than the console does, from the modding community (many segments of which are dedicated and damn near pro in their own right), to a wide variety of RTS and RPG titles, to technical boundary-pushers like Crysis (PC only), or games that are multi-platform, but which provide the greatest visual experience on a PC, due to the increased grunt - which is totally customisable.

The PC gaming industry is generally for the slightly more (or downright more) hardcore gaming market. People who (usually) want exceptionally high resolutions, who want to mod-the-buggery out of a popular title (it's where the smash-hit Counter Strike came from, let's not forget). It's and industry which is open to the leetest of leet competitive gamers, and industry which ultimately pushes the console market itself continually forward.

PC gaming isn't designed for a bunch of people to couch-out to, or stoners to burn out to, or for Brodie to pass the time while in bed with that grumpy chick from 90210.

I have a 360, and I got it because my existing PC had finally admitted defeat for games. But also - I just wanted to get to play certain titles, as well as have a simple gaming experience when I wanted to, the kick-back-and-play style ... although to be honest, I'm usually hunched forward on my seat, hammering the buttons and diddling the thumb sticks like a champion flange-flicker.

Different strokes for different folks, I decry neither version, but I do decry this preposterous "upgrade every three months" bullsh*t lie that keeps getting pulled out.

Anyway, rant over...I'll go back to awaiting the arrival of my new Quad Core editing monster ... that can also play games.

And then Xmas Day, when hopefully Santa will bring me Gears of War 2 for my 360 ... so I can hunch forward, hammering and flicking, in a laid back manner.

Additional:

Noticed this on Yahoo earlier:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...ations/1274293

Looks like MS knew about the disc scratching all along, and even thought about putting extra foam tabs in (at a cost of 50 cents per console ) ... but didn't. Lawsuit-a-go-go.

Methinks the 'NextBox' will be built like a brick sh*thouse, forged out of a mountain as old as time itself.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Dec-2008 at 07:36 PM.

capncnut
    Give it a year when 360 games start looking wank compared to the latest PC titles, tune will change
    No it wont. Never been a PC gamer, not gonna start now. A slight improvement in graphics doesn't warrant the high maintenance.

Oh, not wishing to rock the boat but anyone here think Crysis was meh?

I'd take anyone here on kbm vs joypad!

ANYONE!!!!!

Come on peeps...who's up for beating me at halo 2 PC with their Keyboard? Let's f**kin' AVE IT!
    *high five*

Mouseclickers? They creep me out...
    Last edited by capncnut; 17-Dec-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Yes, Crysis was WANK.

and so are PC gamers....

hahaha

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Yes, Crysis was WANK.

and so are PC gamers....

hahaha
    whilst crysis is indeed known for being made of wank, pretty as owt, but made of wank nonetheless, the level creation kit has made it a tempting purchase.

England
    Have you actually played Crysis all the way through on the PC or just going by what you've read somewhere?ive played a lot of games in my time & think Crysis is a good one!ive played it through 3 times which is something i havent done with a lot of other games i own (and i usually buy all the must have games)

Super Moderator

UK
    More of the same blah-blah-blah.

I go to all the effort of laying out a rational analysis of the PC gaming culture, and you lot just trounce back in with your big muddy boots blowing raspberries.

And am I decrying console gaming? Far from it, but I'd prefer to have a discussion beyond scattered cheap shots and mis-truths which would by more at home in the muddled clutter of paper Crash Gordon has in his clunking fists at PMQ's, than on a forum where the breed of poster is far more intelligent and coherant.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...417#post170417

Next up in MZ's world ... enjoying the best of both gaming worlds.

I think we can all agree that the PS3 has been, perhaps not "epic fail", but certainly "bought in bulk fail". Dear-dear ... but I never liked their joypads anyway, they'd absolutely f*ck my thumbs up.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Dec-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Have you actually played Crysis all the way through on the PC or just going by what you've read somewhere?ive played a lot of games in my time & think Crysis is a good one!ive played it through 3 times which is something i havent done with a lot of other games i own (and i usually buy all the must have games)
    yeah ive played it through a couple of times (i discovered when it comes to games my mac ,in fact, is ****ing bangin') and its just a generic shooter, great graphics to be sure, but your just a faceless marine guy shooting generic enemies, they could have done much more with the potential it had, but i think a lot of people just lord it up as being untouchable against criticism because of the graphics but you take them away and its pretty mediocre. you never care about the protagonist, your not drawn into the plot and the world doesn't feel like a world, more like a series of tubes (lol, reference) that lead from gunfight scene to gunfight scene, it feels less like a world and more like a mod of a tech demo for "what we can do when it comes to blowing houses up".
    As glitchy as it was i much prefer farcry since it felt , even though it blatantly wasn't, that you were just on the edge of some massive island chain at the start and you progress through it.
    i could go on a bit more but i really think its so overrated, people expect you to be in awe, possible cowering and/or quivering like a miner in a hp lovecraft story who dug too greedily and too deep and discovered some dark secret of the earth, over its somehow unseen ,infallible magnificence.

but then you play it and go "huh, so thats it. .....im gonna go play half life 2 or stalker now"
    Last edited by Danny; 18-Dec-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    admittedly I havent' played it til the end, but I've certainly had a go. It's just clunky and crap, it's like in the intro movie the character is seen changing his suit's abilities in a matter of miliseconds but in the real game it's a slow and ****e annoying process that's let down by keyboard and mouse...

and optimised for the 360 controller? Gimmie a break. That was a joke.

Besides all said and done...the only thing I thought it had going was the huge levels...but for a combat based game, the combat was a let down

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    More of the same blah-blah-blah.

I go to all the effort of laying out a rational analysis of the PC gaming culture, and you lot just trounce back in with your big muddy boots blowing raspberries.

And am I decrying console gaming? Far from it, but I'd prefer to have a discussion beyond scattered cheap shots and mis-truths which would by more at home in the muddled clutter of paper Crash Gordon has in his clunking fists at PMQ's, than on a forum where the breed of poster is far more intelligent and coherant.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...417#post170417

Next up in MZ's world ... enjoying the best of both gaming worlds.

I think we can all agree that the PS3 has been, perhaps not "epic fail", but certainly "bought in bulk fail". Dear-dear ... but I never liked their joypads anyway, they'd absolutely f*ck my thumbs up.
    LOL

What do you expect man? Personally I don't have time to write a stunning analysis of the joys of console gaming - it's for some not for others....I mean I think you'll find that the majority of people here understand that from a purely technical point of view, PC gaming may have the edge...It's just that regardless of that, people love what they get the most fun from. For some it's the Wii, which I gawk at...for others it's the ps3, others the xbox, and people like you - PC...

Personally I can't imagine anything worse than having to trawl through the smallprint on a game simply to find if the spec is fitting of my machine...so I continue to gawk at your love for PC gaming - I think you're bloody mad...!! But hey, your boat is floating, so I'm happy that you're happy...

You're still a bunch of fruitcakes for thinking that a keyboard and mouse is a good way of playing a game...

And you're even worse for sitting through those installs, rig builds, crashes, and whatnot....

But on the other hand....xbox number 4 for me...I'm bloody stupid for putting up with inferior hardware...

swings and roundabouts eh?
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 18-Dec-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

UK
    Well I'm floated on two sides by my 360 and my soon-to-come new PC.

It takes more effort to play a PC game than a console game, but for consoles it's literally "buy game, open box, insert, play" (well, unless it's a PS3, then you have to add "go away, make sandwich" to the list ). It depends from game to game, GTA IV is apparently a nightmare to install (a friend of a friend spent a whole sodding HOUR doing it), but other games are far swifter.

It's easier to patch them up, download it, transfer it via a flash drive if your gaming rig isn't online, install, boom - done. And also, the mod-fanbase even release fixes and patches of their own for games, so if you're that way inclined, there's another avenue of fixing for you.

But really, any game on any platform can be a buggy mess, or a rock solid monolith. I didn't find FarCry to be buggy ... although it was fussy, meanwhile Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, far more forgiving and accepting of a wide range of system specifications.

That in itself, for some, is part of the fun of PC gaming. It's like cars - some people just like a car and go "ooh, pretty", others like to know everything about them, or get under the hood, or modify them till their heart's content, or build one themselves and specify the spec. It's a whole culture of its own.

KB+M mind you, superior for shooters.

As I've also said in another thread addressing that particular issue, it's just as comfortable as a joypad, it's just a case of what you're used to. With KB+M your hands are pretty much laid flat, draped over the devices. With a joypad you're actively gripping something - the 360 pad is superior in every way to the PS pad in my view however.

Your hands can cramp up on either though, but at least neither of them rape my thumbs like the Playstation pad buttons do, christ, I remember playing Tony Hawk 2 on PS1 in free lessons in the sixth form, my thumbs were killing me afterwards. Such an awful joypad in my view.

Joypads however, are superior for racers/fighters and similar.

A PC game can, or likewise can't, crash as much or as little as a console. I've had plenty of freezes/crashes/failures with Saints Row 2 on the 360, or plenty of "cannot read disc" errors when the 360 gets lost finding data on the disc, so it just gives up. You never have that on the PC, but you do get crashes if - you're computer is f*cked for some reason (likewise a console can be f*cked for some reason), or if the game is poorly coded (likewise the same can and does happen on a console).

Before I ramble on too much, what I'm saying is, more than some people here might think otherwise, the PC and consoles are far more evenly matched over-the-piece.

The real argument comes from PC-to-PC, or console-to-console.

The Wii has sh*t graphics compared to the 360, but the 360 doesn't have the level of innovation that the Wii has.

And the PS still has a rubbish controller.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    PC gamers are still wankers though....

LOL...!!!!