Thread: A rant about death

capncnut

A rant about death

Okay, I sat on this for a couple of days now so I'm gonna spill.

Two days ago I popped into mum's house for breakfast to find her on the phone talking to medics. I'm like "WTF is going on?" She replies weirdly, "Nana died sometime last night. I just found her. This twat on the phone is telling me to give CPR."

So I take a look and yeah, Nana (my grandmother) is dead; eyes glassy, mouth agape (strange blissful look on her face), cold as ice and stiff as a board. In shock, I said to my mother, "CPR? You are having a f**king laugh. She's dead."

"But they wanna make sure. They are asking me to put her on the floor."

After some swearing from me, I picked up my little Nana's corpse (which had been dead for quite some hours) and carried her to the floor, which wasn't fun let me tell you. Fortunately, the paramedics arrived on cue so I didn't have to do anything. She was pronounced dead on the scene, the cause being bronchial pneumonia, and was taken away after a couple of hours.

There were no tears and, as it was expected, we've all dealt with it fine...

...until today when my mother learned that the cremation is going to cost between £2000-2500 ($4000-5000). Now I don't mean to sound insensitive to my poor Nana's death but two grand to slide a tiny old lady into a furnace? You have got to be f**king kidding!

Talk about 'dealers in death'.
    Last edited by capncnut; 16-Jan-2009 at 07:29 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As I said in chat the other day...sorry to hear it.

Funerals, burials, and cremations are friggin expensive. I don't mean any disrespect to you or your grandmother, but sometimes I personally wish it was like the old days when it was pretty much like "dig a hole, put them in a box, say a few words, and cover it up". No fuss and no cost that's going to empty your damn bank account.

I've told my wife to just dig a hole somewhere in the back yard and throw me in it. Of course she can't do that without the long arm of the law crashing down on her, but I really wish she could.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Funerals, burials, and cremations are friggin expensive. I don't mean any disrespect to you or your grandmother, but sometimes I personally wish it was like the old days when it was pretty much like "dig a hole, put them in a box, say a few words, and cover it up". No fuss and no cost that's going to empty your damn bank account.
    Completely agree. My grandmother was not there that day, nothing, a shell. I actually remember Nana saying to me when I was a kid, "When it's my time to go, bung me in an 'ole in the garden with all my Elvis records."

United Kingdom
    Sorry to hear about your experience Capn xx
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    I am very sorry to hear of your grandmothers death capn. The sweet smile she had on her face atleast she went in peace. I always have the thought that a loved one has come to get them when they die. That helps me get through it all.
    As for the vultures that want a large sum of money just to cremate or bury you, its outrageous! They sure see you coming dont they? It's plain ridiculous!
    Anyway, you take care and know I am here if you need to talk anytime!!!

capncnut
    Deb, Bass, Amy, thank you for the kind words. Means a lot.

United States
    capn - so sorry to hear about your grandma. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    My mom always said she just wanted to be buried in a pine box. It would just be her body left, not her soul.
    Of course, it's expensive no matter what, and no, it's not right, but the cost can be high because it's a given that we die and need to be buried/cremated.

ViP

United States
    Your descriptive words are truly saddening. The monetary cost disgusts me. I wonder who the sick bastard is that started this whole "death industry" as we know it.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Your descriptive words are truly saddening. The monetary cost disgusts me. I wonder who the sick bastard is that started this whole "death industry" as we know it.
    Actually your signature quote works with that question perfectly.

But yeah, the cost of dying is disgusting. In fact, the whole thing is sick and intrusive. We got this little bereavement sheet, which tells you how to cope with a death in the family, etc. Says how sorry they are for the loss, while tactfully sliding a "'if you wish to donate any organs, please call this number" message at the bottom.
    Last edited by capncnut; 19-Jan-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Closed by thread starter

Administrator

England
    I found it a very surreal experience seeing a loved one dead... They're there, but not...

I found it gave a right kick in the butt a few days later as regards perspective, and what really matters, and what doesn't!