Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curing gay people of gay-ness... wtf

United Kingdom

Curing gay people of gay-ness... wtf

What's that you say? Homosexuality was removed from the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual over a decade ago? Well, why allow little things like scientific research, experimental evidence or indeed respect for your clients/ patients get in the way of imposing your prejudiced morals on vulnerable people who trust you?

*seethe*
    Nearly a fifth of therapists admit having tried to 'cure' gay patients of their sexual orientation – even though there is no evidence their 'treatments' have any effect and despite the ethical questions posed.

The mental health professionals – most of whom work for the NHS – said they had gone further than simply counselling a young person on how to cope with homosexual feelings.

... Three-quarters of these workers said a medical service should be set up to carry out the 'treatment'.

One therapist told the researchers: 'Although homosexual feelings are usual in people, their physical expression and being a person's only way of having sexual relations is problematic.

'The physical act for male homosexuals is physically damaging and is the main reason in this country for AIDS/HIV. It is also perverse.'

Many of the therapists told researchers they had treated clients who felt they would 'lose God' or had been ostracised by their communities.

Prof Michael King, who led the study, said: 'There is very little evidence to show that attempting to treat a person's homosexual feelings is effective and, in fact, it can actually be harmful. So it is surprising that a significant minority of practitioners still offer this help to their clients.'

The Department of Health added: 'Homosexuality is not a mental disorder and does not need treatment.'
    Link to full article- it was in the Metro.
    Last edited by Chic Freak; 28-Mar-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What the fuck? FUBAR.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Two things are for sure in my experence, you can't "cure" homosexiality. and you can't pick it up if you aren't predisposed, no matter how much your significant other wants to watch you do it

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

United States
    These health care professionals need to do a better job of treating their patients needs, not passing this kind of judgment.

-stray-

United States
    some people are born gay

the rest are sucked into it.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    some people are born gay

the rest are sucked into it.
    Is that a pun? If so, that's pretty funny.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    and you can't pick it up if you aren't predisposed, no matter how much your significant other wants to watch you do it

M_
    Everybody's got their price.
    Last edited by major jay; 29-Mar-2009 at 05:52 PM.

England
    People are indeed born gay,in order to cure it you'd have to rewrite their genetic code!and why would people want to be cured of it anyway?one of my best friends is gay & its just who he is,as far as im concerned he's just one of the lads regardless of his orientation!he doesnt make an issue of it either,he's not one of those who feels he has to bring it up in every conversation like some do which can get annoying

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    and you can't pick it up if you aren't predisposed, no matter how much your significant other wants to watch you do it

M_
    Gave me a good chuckle.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Therapy for gays? What's next? Therapy for straights? What does sexual orientation have to do with how stable a person is? I don't get these people...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    One therapist told the researchers: 'Although homosexual feelings are usual in people, their physical expression and being a person's only way of having sexual relations is problematic.

'The physical act for male homosexuals is physically damaging and is the main reason in this country for AIDS/HIV. It is also perverse.'
    If that mysterious, unnamed therapist actually exists, he or she is in the wrong profession.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Therapy for gays? What's next? Therapy for straights? What does sexual orientation have to do with how stable a person is? I don't get these people...
    Read the article again. The persons in question voluntarily sought therapy, it is the way they were treated that is at issue.

-stray-

Canada
    dude, you forgot your smiley face.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    dude, you forgot your smiley face.
    Yeah, Stray. Why so serious?

Wisdom with a smile, please

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post

These people not only sought help on their own, but I'm curious as to what was the original issue they went to get treated for in the first place?

Wouldn't it be crazy if the shrink just side tracked the whole session when they learned the patient was gay in order to treat it?

Shrink: So, how did scruffy dying when you were 8 make you feel?

patient: I haven't thought about it that much lately. My boyfriend consoles me when it does come up though.

Shrink: WTF, you're gay dude!?! CODE BLUE DAMMIT !!

I can only imagine being socially ostracized just because of who I'm Attracted to. What a way to go through life , huh?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"