Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: De Wolfe Library Music

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

De Wolfe Library Music

Hi all, haven't posted here in yonks, but I found something on ebay that you all might find interesting. Someone is selling a whole load of De Wolfe Library music records on Ebay some of which contain music used in Dawn Of The Dead (which is interesting enough in itself) They have also uploaded selected full tracks in MP3 format so you can listen to them before you buy. They're fairly high quality (160k). With a little effort you can download the tracks too.

Looking through some of the long list of records he had for sale I found 9 sample tracks, 7 of which I recognised from dawn.

If you own the bootleg 'complete' soundtrack then these would make a perfect compliment. Of the 7 tracks; you'll already have 2 of these in more or less identical quality. 2 of them are identical tracks, but in much better quality (cleaner audio, less record pops/clicks), one is a much longer version than the existing track and the final 2 are completely new tracks. Here are links to the sample track pages;

http://www.divshare.com/download/6655206-7bc
    http://www.divshare.com/download/6849538-392
    http://www.divshare.com/download/6314366-6b5
    http://www.divshare.com/download/6849404-827

And here is a link to the guy's ebay complete 'Items for Sale' list page;

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/boogiejuice

As I say these are only the tracks I found so if anyone finds anything else then please do post it, but not all his auctions have sample tracks though.

I should also add that I have already messaged the guy asking very nicely if he would be willing to share any other tracks, and I'll post his reply, just so he doesn't get pissed off with a number of people messaging him all asking the same thing.
    Last edited by See No Evil; 12-Apr-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Undisclosed
    I'm almost certain that Synchropulse was not used in Dawn of the Dead, but maybe you can confirm the scene where you've heard it. The cue sheet that was posted to the Internet several years ago is inaccurate and lists many tracks that do not appear in the film, while omitting others. I believe that Synchropulse is one of these tracks.

Additionally, Slow Repose version 1 is not used in DAWN, it's the big Mellotron choir chord from Slow Repose ver 2 that's used during the expansive shot of the zombies outside the mall. You can tell because Slow Repose ver 1 has that awful synth piano noodling around in the right channel (not heard in the movie)

The intro of Motives 1 is only heard on the extended version of DAWN when Peter and Roger first scope out the mall ("It's Christmas time down there, buddy!" "Fat city, brother! How do we work it?"). This track is incredible for the way that it perfectly mimics the sound of Goblin's Argento film soundtracks better than any of the music that Goblin actually composed for DAWN.

Motives 1 was also made commercially available on the De Wolfe release Bite Harder.

Darren (boogiejuice) is a cool eBay seller and a great guy to deal with, though his prices on these LPs have gone up considerably since myself and others have tipped him off that the discs contain DAWN music (Johnny Trunk is also one of his customers). Someone has also been giving Darren the erroneous info from the cue sheet without confirming whether or not the music is actually used in the film. That's why he's listing LPs like Boquet (a recorder ensemble) as containing DAWN library music. It would be nice if people could do their homework.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 12-Apr-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Undisclosed
    Declickers are not that hard to operate and if you have some clicks left over you just need to chain two of them on different settings, although some declickers are resource hogs. I suggest doubling, if necessary, with the Steinberg Declicker.

Thank you SNE, you are officially not a douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

Additionally, Slow Repose version 1 is not used in DAWN, it's the big Mellotron choir chord from Slow Repose ver 2 that's used during the expansive shot of the zombies outside the mall. You can tell because Slow Repose ver 1 has that awful synth piano noodling around in the right channel (not heard in the movie)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original audio track from Dawn made in mono? If so, wouldn't there be sounds on some of the library tracks that wouldn't translate to the finished film because of this? I've never noticed this with any of the De Wolfe tracks, but I have with some of the Goblin tracks.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original audio track from Dawn made in mono? If so, wouldn't there be sounds on some of the library tracks that wouldn't translate to the finished film because of this? I've never noticed this with any of the De Wolfe tracks, but I have with some of the Goblin tracks.
    You are correct in that DAWN's original audio mix is mono, and granted many of the tracks utilized from the De Wolfe library for the film, such as The Gonk, are mono. However, in using stereo tracks from LPs such as Spinechiller and Sun High (particularly the title track and Figments where the various parts are hard panned), apparently both channels were simply mixed down to mono.

I'd have to double check it to be sure, but Slow Repose ver. 2 is essentially the same as ver. 1 but without the noodling piano. To achieve a big sound, I believe there is an analog synth pad panned to the left and the Mellotron choir is panned to the right, and both of those parts seem to be present in the film's soundtrack.

Another interesting bit of info is that the Trunk Records CD is apparently taken from a different source (possibly 1/4" tape) than the De Wolfe LPs. The panning is reversed on the Sun High tracks and it has more emphasized high-end than is present on the LPs.

ViP

United States
    CD is apparently taken from a different source (possibly 1/4" tape) than the De Wolfe LPs. The panning is reversed on the Sun High tracks and it has more emphasized high-end than is present on the LPs.
    Didn't George mix off of 1/4" tape? (Either that or he dubbed the lp onto 1/4")

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Didn't George mix off of 1/4" tape? (Either that or he dubbed the lp onto 1/4")
    They were definitely using 1/4" tape. The Latent Image used a Nagra to record location audio while Karl Hardman recorded sound effects and dubbed the music cues to 1/4" tape, all of which would have been transferred to mag track for editing NIGHT. I only have a general knowledge of the editing process; C5NOLD can explain why it was mixed in mono.

DAWN was probably edited and mixed in the same manner, though I don't know if Romero had access to the library tracks on 1/4" tape or simply dubbed the cues from LP as was done on NIGHT. It would be a great question to ask him. I was told by at least two library music experts that LPs were intended for auditioning cues, though LPs were obviously being used in productions, too.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I have found the Dawn Cues sheet you mentioned in the internet archive, in case anyone else wants a look here is the link;

http://web.archive.org/web/200112200...awn/dncue.html

You say there are some omissions & errors in this cue sheet, Has anyone put together a more accurate list than this?

Also while scouting around I found this page. It's a comments section from a soundtracks website for the DOTD 2CD bootleg. It has 92 posts on it with some useful information on catalogue numbers and people have posted links to a couple of tracks not on any of the three CD releases;

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...93435409598602

Undisclosed

gary

I have lots to add on this subject; for probably 85% of the time I was with George thru the post production process.
    All the live sound was recorded on a Nagra III a state of the art 1/4" sync sound recorder. At the time there were few audio sources to pick from, 1/4" ruled! As for music the LPS were for reference only in the beginning. And wen you picked what you wanted you would phone in the track #s in and they would mail you the 1/4" inch master dub tape. You wonder why things took longer then it would take two to three weeks at times to get you music dubs. All this original 1/4" was transferred to 16mm mag film and that's what George cut with and that's what became our mix elements.

United States
    I'm almost certain that Synchropulse was not used in Dawn of the Dead, but maybe you can confirm the scene where you've heard it. The cue sheet that was posted to the Internet several years ago is inaccurate and lists many tracks that do not appear in the film, while omitting others. I believe that Synchropulse is one of these tracks.

The intro of Motives 1 is only heard on the extended version of DAWN when Peter and Roger first scope out the mall ("It's Christmas time down there, buddy!" "Fat city, brother! How do we work it?"). This track is incredible for the way that it perfectly mimics the sound of Goblin's Argento film soundtracks better than any of the music that Goblin actually composed for DAWN.

Motives 1 was also made commercially available on the De Wolfe release Bite Harder.

Darren (boogiejuice) is a cool eBay seller and a great guy to deal with, though his prices on these LPs have gone up considerably since myself and others have tipped him off that the discs contain DAWN music (Johnny Trunk is also one of his customers). Someone has also been giving Darren the erroneous info from the cue sheet without confirming whether or not the music is actually used in the film. That's why he's listing LPs like Boquet (a recorder ensemble) as containing DAWN library music. It would be nice if people could do their homework.
    Funny, you would think that someone with the knowledge that Dawn fans would pay good money for something which a lot of people would consider worthless would ALSO know that die-hard Dawn fans would know whether a 1970's music cue was actually used in the film or not. Definitely seems like they should do their homework. I am pretty sure that if you played a random cue from Dawn, I could tell you exactly where in the film it was used. Synchropulse was certainly NOT used in Dawn.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    I have lots to add on this subject; for probably 85% of the time I was with George thru the post production process.
    All the live sound was recorded on a Nagra III a state of the art 1/4" sync sound recorder. At the time there were few audio sources to pick from, 1/4" ruled! As for music the LPS were for reference only in the beginning. And wen you picked what you wanted you would phone in the track #s in and they would mail you the 1/4" inch master dub tape. You wonder why things took longer then it would take two to three weeks at times to get you music dubs. All this original 1/4" was transferred to 16mm mag film and that's what George cut with and that's what became our mix elements.
    Gary, this is awesome information! Was the Nagra the only 1/4" tape deck used at the Latent Image in the 60s or did you have another deck in-house for making transfers?

On NIGHT, do you recall if Karl Hardman transferred the library tracks from the LPs to 1/4" tape and if this was the source of the music used in the film? (You can hear pops and clicks on some of the music, so I'd always assumed the source was LP.)

Do you recall any other music libraries being used at the Latent Image while you were there?

This is what a Nagra looks like for anyone that is interested; it was considered the analog standard for recording film audio:

Great stuff! The rest of you HPOTD bums don't realize how good you've got it now that Gary posts here.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 14-Apr-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Undisclosed

gary

On NIGHT, do you recall if Karl Hardman transferred the library tracks from the LPs to 1/4" tape and if this was the source of the music used in the film? (You can hear pops and clicks on some of the music, so I'd always assumed the source was LP.)

Do you recall any other music libraries being used at the Latent Image while you were there?

This is what a Nagra looks like for anyone that is interested; it was considered the analog standard for recording film audio:

I think because Karl used these libraries so much he had 1/4" copies of most of them but it is likely that he made some 1/4" copies off LP of certain pieces and it could be that those pieces were never replaced. Remember there could be sync issues when making totally new mag film dubs from a different source. Very tricky when a picture has been cut to a certain track to enter a new dub into the equation. It's of little consequence these days but back then the variance could be quite dramatic like 1 or 1.5 seconds over 15 or 20 seconds. Not good for Georges tight high impact editing style.
    The Latent Image didn't own any music libraries at that time I think later we bought a SFX library

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    As a follow up to my original post I am working through a project to try to identify every single piece of music used in all three versions of dawn. To give everyone an idea of what I'll end up with, I've posted an 'in progress' track listing for the theatrical version which I'm currently working though;

- Updated Link -
    http://www.seenoevil.aquiss.com/dotd/
    - Updated Link -

Where I don't have the original track to compare or haven't been able to identify something, it's entry has been left blank. I now have a collection of around 60 individual library tracks to work from built up from multiple sources, but I know I don't have everything, here is a list of what I have so far;

http://www.seenoevil.aquiss.com/Curr...cks%20List.txt

This is where you come in. Although I have about 70% of the full library albums I need, I'm still missing a vital few. This is what I still need;

[de wolfe] - dwlp 2857 - pierre arvay - illustrations no. 3
    [de wolfe] - dwlp 2949 - herbert chappell - band 8
    [de wolfe] - dwlp 3021 - keith papworth - travelling light
    [de wolfe] - dwlp 3168 - pierre arvay - illustrations no. 8
    [de wolfe] - dwlp 3176 - reg wale - bouquet
    [de wolfe] - dwlp 3196 - peter reno - restless woman
    [de wolfe] - dwlp 3309 - pierre arvay - presence contemporaine musique francaise

[hudson] - hmclp 506 - p. merrick - mindbender

[sylvester] - smclp 514 - hemisphere)

So if anyone has any of these albums, wants to contribute to this project, or just wants to know more; then please email me at rob@seenoevil.aquiss.com
    Last edited by See No Evil; 15-May-2009 at 09:18 PM.

ViP

United States
    I have all of the lps you mentioned... and more! You are missing a shitload amigo, not a few

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by See No Evil View Post
    Although I have about 70% of the full library albums I need, I'm still missing a vital few. This is what I still need;

Dramaturgy & Cosmogony - Hudson Music Company (HMC/LP507)
    Chicken Wire and Hen's Nest - Hudson Music Company (HMC/LP510)
    Illustrations No. 2 - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP2823)
    Power Project - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP2922)
    Band 8 - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP2949)
    Selling sounds - Dewolfe Records (DW/LP3180)
    Underlay - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP3198)
    Spinechiller - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP3300)
    Sun High - Dewolfe Records (DW/LP3366)
    ^Dude, those LPs alone contain about 70% of the tracks used in the film!

Uncle George says "Go For It!"

Okay, here's something that I just noticed. You have both Queka and Flossie from Underlay listed, but there is actually a third cue from the same LP (one of the "string backing" tracks on side A) that is used as mall music on the extended version when Stephen and Peter are "shopping" for tools to board up the stairs. This track isn't listed on the cue sheet and doesn't appear on either the Trunk Records CD or the "complete" soundtrack CD.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 27-Apr-2009 at 06:18 AM.