Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: De Wolfe Library Music

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Solo flute track that plays over Stephen and Fran arguing over abortion and Canada.
    I haven't found this one yet, but I'm still looking.

The track that plays over the gun store scene.
    I too have the tribal chant, but not the animal sounds. I classed that as a sound effect so I wasn't really searching for it.

Finally, the track that plays in the arcade. Seeing as how this track made it to all three versions of the film.
    This one I have identified and I do have the full cue, if you want to trade for that one?

Minor track: There is a little clip of unintentional music that plays over Stephen saying "Jesus Christ... They're maniacs" just before running down to the mall to join Peter and Roger.
    This one I also have if you want to trade also?

This is what I'm still missing across the three versions. As far as proper full cues I've still not identified, the list is short! really just three tracks;

Theatrical Version Missing Tracks

Track 089B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A) (Same as below)
    Timecode From = 01:28:29.480
    Timecode To = 01:29:13.919

Extended version missing tracks

Track 059 (Solo Flute Cue)
    Timecode From = 00:59:46.840
    Timecode To = 01:01:17.893

Track 087B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A) (Same as above)
    Timecode From = 01:37:17.294
    Timecode To = 01:38:01.493

European version missing tracks

Track 041 (Mall Musak)
    Timecode From = 01:31:25.974
    Timecode To = 01:32:00.935

This is the full list of what's left to identify. Some of these are the same track repeated multiple times over the three films so there are only around 12 cues left to find, but this includes even the shortest few second clips which will be really hard to place;

Theatrical Version Missing Tracks

Track 042 (Short drum beat - Same as 043A)
    Track 043A (Short drum beat - Same as 042)
    Track 064B (Killing Krishna zombie piano chord)
    Track 089B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A)
    Track 099 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 105)
    Track 105 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 099)
    Track 141 (Cymbal Crash)
    Track 143 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes)

Extended version missing tracks

Track 039 (Short drum beat - Same track as 040A)
    Track 040A (Short drum beat - Same track as 039)
    Track 058B (Hitting Krishna zombie piano chord)
    Track 059 (Solo Flute Cue)
    Track 087B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A)
    Track 096 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 102)
    Track 102 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 096)
    Track 114 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes - Same as 131)
    Track 130A (Cymbal Crash)
    Track 131 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes - Same as 114)

European version missing tracks

Track 021 (Krishna cymbals)
    Track 041 (Mall Musak)
    Track 042 (Sounds like Goblin - Zaratozom, but not on CD)
    Track 051 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes)
    Last edited by See No Evil; 16-May-2009 at 03:31 PM.

ViP

United States
    Theatrical, track 120-122,124, 126, and Extended tracks 116a, 118 and 119, you are correct. I have an edited version that successfully recreates the effect that you have predicted. You can safely remove those tracks from the list.

I'll work on the rest, and yes, I want those tracks you have up for offer.

I'll have to cue up the flick to ID the rest.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Being that you seem to already have all this interesting and helpful information, I would definitely go down that route.
    I have now added this information into all three lists on my site. Apart from the three obvious Dawn CDs, there are also three library music compilation CDs with other cues on;

Kung Fu Super Sounds (3 Cues)

Bite Harder - The Music De Wolfe Studio Sampler Volume 2 (1 Cue)

Vado, Vedo e Sparo - Original Soundtrack (1 Cue)

As fas as I know, that's all the cues from dawn that have been commercially released, although there are more than a couple of compilation library CDs, not just De Wolfe either, many are compilations from various labels, so there could be more out there.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by See No Evil View Post
    I have now added this information into all three lists on my site.

As fas as I know, that's all the cues from dawn that have been commercially released, although there are more than a couple of compilation library CDs, not just De Wolfe either, many are compilations from various labels, so there could be more out there.
    Good job. It's easy enough to add more info in this area as it turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by See No Evil View Post
    I know the score was released first on an LP, then later on a bootleg CD. I wasn't aware there was anything missing from it even if the proper names of the cues isn't known?
    Oh Lordy, where to even begin with NIGHT...?

There are 45-48 (or more) different cues used in NIGHT depending on how you want to break it down since some of the tracks are composites. The Varese Sarabande LP (listed here) only contains about 24 cues total, and one of those--the posse music--is incorrect due to an error on the original cue sheet that nobody at Varese Sarabande bothered to double check. So what they have listed as "Posse In The Fields/Ben Awakes" doesn't appear anywhere in the film.

Of all the cues used in the film, nearly everything comes from the Capitol Hi-Q library except for two synthesizer tracks used during the feast following the truck explosion, and the scene where Ben confronts the Coopers' corpses in the cellar. There are also three examples of stingers processed through a long tape delay (when the cemetery ghoul attacks Barbra, when Barbra finds the corpse at the top of the stairs and the final shot of the bonfire). Karl Hardman and Marilyn Eastman claimed to have radically processed the music that was used in the film, but except for the three examples of tape delay mentioned above, the music is identical to the cues found on stock Capitol HI-Q reels.

Capitol Hi-Q reels and LPs are tough to obtain and the actual cue sheet for NIGHT isn't 100% accurate, so it's very difficult to verify which cues were used. There were five series within the library (D for drama, L for light, M for melodic, S for short and X for Experimental) containing hundreds of LPs and none of this music is consistently titled. Unlike the De Wolfe library, the cues are primarily identified by code and the composers aren't always properly credited because a lot of this music was composed for hire (for example, John Seeley and Spencer Moore were not composers, they were publishers yet their names appear all over these tracks).

Also, one of the Hi-Q reels utilized in NIGHT was so old that it had been already replaced with different music within the library several years prior to the film being made, which creates even more confusion in tracking down the correct cues. The Varese Sarabande LP not only retitled all of the original music cues, which is a BIG problem when dealing with previously copyrighted material, but several composers were intentionally not credited because the rights to use their cues had long since lapsed.

One cue that the LP does contain which I haven't found anywhere else is a brass/synthesizer stinger used primarily when the ghouls advance on the house for the last time. I believe Karl Hardman may have created this cue from a Hi-Q track and provided it to Varese Sarabande. Regardless, the source of this cue appears nowhere on the original cue sheet. I'd also assume that Hardman created the other electronic cues described above because he is credited on the LP.

One interesting aspect of the Capitol Hi-Q library is that the reels containing NIGHT cues also contain alternate tracks that were used in Creepshow.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 21-May-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Undisclosed
    http://rapidshare.com/files/18023452...n_t_Let_Go.mp3

Here's the Creepshow disco song but it's only a 192kbps. Someone was trying to charge people on youtube for a 320.

BJ put up the no more room in hell cue (which is so long I want to edit it for the part that appears in Dawn, same with Spinechiller) and Spinechiller mp3. These cues make me glad that someone put up the edited versions.
    Last edited by triste realtà; 23-May-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Undisclosed
    Noticed this from looking over the actual De Wolfe LPs:

Library Album = Sun High
    Company = De Wolfe Records
    Library Ref = DW/LP3366

The catalog number for Sun High is actually DWS/LP 3366. Now I'm not 100% certain, but I believe DWS/LP is used for all the stereo LPs in the DeWolfe library.

Spinechiller is also DWS/LP 3300 even though all of side B is mono.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    The catalog number for Sun High is actually DWS/LP 3366. Now I'm not 100% certain, but I believe DWS/LP is used for all the stereo LPs in the DeWolfe library.

Spinechiller is also DWS/LP 3300 even though all of side B is mono.
    Yes you're right, cheers for the heads up on that. After asking around I've found out that De Wolfe were very late on introducing stereo recording as most of their clients (TV mainly) all wanted mono music.

Pretty much everything released during 1973 or earlier is mono (which is just DW/LP...), and everything from 1974 onwards is stereo (and is labelled DWS/LP...), even though as you say some specific parts are still in mono

I have now double checked the catalogue numbers and corrected them as needed.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Finally, the track that plays in the arcade. Seeing as how this track made it to all three versions of the film, I have come to the conclusion that it may have been live audio from the store Right now, I just use the live audio of the scene which works ok, but obviously the track itself is preferred. I've even tried hunting down info on the arcade itself to try and score their muzak reel, to no avail. This is easily the most wanted track that I still need.
    Time to update the cue list: Dawn of the Dead LP soundtrack ARCADE MUSIC

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    This is what a Nagra looks like for anyone that is interested; it was considered the analog standard for recording film audio:

They are still in use on some film sets Nagras are work horses..