Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had surgery before?

England

Anyone had surgery before?

I had two Bi-lateral hernias repaired yesterday & although im home & walking/hobbling about,im bloody sore!i cant drive for 2 weeks now & im signed off work for 3,also cant do any heavy lifting for 6 - 8 weeks!hoping the time passes quick as i want to get back into my training for the T.A.!
    So whats your experiences of surgery,anything major or any tips on recovery?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I once shattered my elbow skateboarding when I was about 12-14. Three full arm casts and two surgeries later, i'm left with metal rods and wire in my left arm.

That was the worst pain of my life so far. Waking up after having holes drilled into your bones is not comfortable. And not using your arm for more than a year kinda causes your muscles to fade away. Had to have physical and shock therapy to learn to use my arm again.

It's also the gift that keeps on giving. If I bump my elbow just right, it swells up, turns blue, and hurts like a bitch. It also has a slight sting when there is a change of temperature or weather.

So yeah. Don't break your elbows!

Super Moderator

UK
    Bloody heckery, bassman!

Interestingly, I went in for another appointment at the doc's today and finally got some action ... well, a tick in a box to say to put me on the waiting list for an operation to sort out a hernia.

Not the same sort of hernia as you've had Tricky, and it mustn't be as bad as the doc said I'd have up to 2 weeks of "no heavy lifting" ... still though, I've never had surgery before - but hopefully I'll finally get the problem fixed.

Back to Tricky though - I hope you heal up well, and soon.

United States
    i had a hernia surgery once years ago too. mine was called an inguinal hernia. that thing hurt too man. i heard they have a new technique now. thats good cuz my insicion was long. not fun. and anestesia or however you spell it is weird.

United States
    I had a simple scope done on my right knee for my chondromalacia Patella (little or no cartilage in my right knee due to misalignment of of the pattela)

Was in a cast for about three weeks, and the shitty part is the surgery didn't do anything to fix it! I still have it damn it. I actually need to find out how to fix it,(besides short term stuff) I'm going to try out for Airborn and Air Assault school, and I bloody well can't have a bum knee for any of that!
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I had two Bi-lateral hernias repaired yesterday & although im home & walking/hobbling about,im bloody sore!i cant drive for 2 weeks now & im signed off work for 3,also cant do any heavy lifting for 6 - 8 weeks!hoping the time passes quick as i want to get back into my training for the T.A.!
    So whats your experiences of surgery,anything major or any tips on recovery?

Dude, although I never had surgery I wanted to send you my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I myself have no pain threshold to speak of and am a total bitch when it comes to pain.

So keep those horror stories coming guys!!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    No surgeries here, either, but thinking of you and hoping you heal correctly and quickly!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    i had a hernia surgery once years ago too. mine was called an inguinal hernia. that thing hurt too man. i heard they have a new technique now. thats good cuz my insicion was long. not fun. and anestesia or however you spell it is weird.
    Yeah thats what i had,but called bi-lateral as there was one either side of my groin so ive got two incisions!rather than stitching the muscle up like they used to which caused problems with tension & so forth,they've stitched mesh over the holes which the muscle grows into & becomes very strong,so the hernias shouldnt come back!the mesh kind of acts like the reinforcing bars in concrete.
    Il admit i was a big girl & went to pieces in the anaesthesia room because i was terrified,not good being scared seen as im starting training with the army once im fully recovered, how will i cope with combat!
    Anyway thanks for all the wishes guys,its appreciated!and il be around here a fair bit over the next 3 weeks while im housebound!

Dying

Undisclosed
    Here's to a speedy recovery. Not counting a few (very) minor surgeries, I've had a lumbar laminectomy (removal of a chunk of spinal disc materiel post herniation). If I can add anything, it's that you should heed the doctor's instructions and don't rush the healing process. I tried to do too much, too fast and I'll probably be paying for it the rest of my life with chronic lower back pain. So kick back and enjoy the time off!
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

United States
    eh that sux, the doc said i have a "weakness" on the other side too. i'm like that doesnt heal? so lame! so i have to be extra careful now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i had a hernia surgery when i was about your age bro. they hurt like a bitch and in some ways are worse than the actual hernia.

here's to your speedy recovery.

i've had a couple of surgeries aside from the hernia. the most major one being after i had a cyst erupt in my ear that blew out my eardrum and played havoc with my middle ear. the pain from this is something that my mind cannot even process anymore. this is the reason that i have gone slowly but surely deaf in my left ear to the point where i have about 25% hearing in it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Christmas Island
    I had laparoscopic surgery done many years ago to get rid of my stone infested gallbladder. Out of the hospital in less than 24 hours but my gut felt like it was hit by a sledgehammer for about a week.

Super Moderator

UK
    So - in terms of post-hernia-op pain - what's the pain like, what type of pain is it etc (sharp or dull)?

I'm no fan of hospitals in general, so everytime I've been to one over the last six months has always been a tense affair ... not that anyone enjoys coughing for doctor, lol.

The operation itself, for hernias, what's that like?

Administrator

England
    Had a number of minor ops around my eyes, but that's it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So - in terms of post-hernia-op pain - what's the pain like, what type of pain is it etc (sharp or dull)?

I'm no fan of hospitals in general, so everytime I've been to one over the last six months has always been a tense affair ... not that anyone enjoys coughing for doctor, lol.

The operation itself, for hernias, what's that like?
    Its mainly painful while walking around ,im climbing stairs like im in my 80's!and getting up isnt easy at all,im terrified of pulling something or popping stitches when getting up so it takes me a while!even though its quite unlikely for me to do that
    The pain isnt so much that i cant take it,its just very uncomfortable,like a constant dull ache which is mainly bruising i think,im glad i dont have a cough though,i had hiccups yesterday which made me swear!ive got a fair bit of numbness around the area where the surgery was done,im sure thats a bit of nerve damage that will hopefully fade over the next few weeks.
    I dont really know much about the op to be honest,the last thing i remember is freaking out when they were anaesthetising me,next thing i knew i was back on the ward with my mum & the surgeon sat next to me & about an hour & a half had gone!the rest of the afternoon is kind of a blur as i was pretty groggy.The main thing im hoping is that once ive given myself time to heal that i can go back to my normal activities including weightlifting & running without restriction.
    You'll be ok though MZ,few weeks of discomfort & a scar is better than having half your bowel removed if it gets strangulated!