Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Road Is the Most Important Movie of the Year"

Undisclosed
    I read the book after seeing some of the trailers for the film... Talk about depressing. There is not a theater near me playing the movie... Anyone know if or when there will be a wider release?

England
    What the hell is it with the Weinsteins and distribution???
    This had better get a decent release over here.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    What the hell is it with the Weinsteins and distribution???
    This had better get a decent release over here.
    Do the Weinsteins have worldwide distribution/distribution in the UK?

I've been wanting to see this flick for a long time now, and watched a bunch of clips that Yahoo Movies posted a while ago and they were great, just how I imagined the book in my head.

I've gotta see this movie.

United States
    found a theater about 30 minutes from my place that was showing this, so i went with the ladyfriend to check it out last night. don't really have the time/energy to post an in-depth review right now, but in a nutshell, this movie was everything i'd been hoping for and more.

great performances by the entire cast, some awesome cinematography, and very good pacing. it's not exactly action-packed, but there are some very tense moments where the film really sucks you in. it was pretty emotionally invoking, and there were a handful of people wiping tears from their eyes as the end credits began rolling. while i'm only 50 pages or so into the book, the film was very faithful to what i've read so far. i plan on going back for a 2nd viewing sometime soon and will perhaps post a more detailed review later on.

for those anticipating this movie, you will not be let down. i've heard talk about this film holding out its release for contention in the academy awards, and i'd have to say that it's definitely one of the best films out this year and has a good shot at nabbing a few accolades.

easily one of the best films i've seen in a few years, and definitely one that's going in my dvd collection once it hits the store shelves.

anyone else have the chance to see it yet?
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 06-Dec-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    found a theater about 30 minutes from my place that was showing this, so i went with the ladyfriend to check it out last night. don't really have the time/energy to post an in-depth review right now, but in a nutshell, this movie was everything i'd been hoping for and more.

great performances by the entire cast, some awesome cinematography, and very good pacing. it's not exactly action-packed, but there are some very tense moments where the film really sucks you in. it was pretty emotionally invoking, and there were a handful of people wiping tears from their eyes as the end credits began rolling. while i'm only 50 pages or so into the book, the film was very faithful to what i've read so far. i plan on going back for a 2nd viewing sometime soon and will perhaps post a more detailed review later on.

for those anticipating this movie, you will not be let down. i've heard talk about this film holding out its release for contention in the academy awards, and i'd have to say that it's definitely one of the best films out this year and has a good shot at nabbing a few accolades.

easily one of the best films i've seen in a few years, and definitely one that's going in my dvd collection once it hits the store shelves.

anyone else have the chance to see it yet?
    If I've not read the book yet, should I read it before I watch the movie?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    well, i'm not quite sure, since i've not finished the book yet. however, as i've stated, i generally feel that movie adaptations of novels are not quite as good as reading the novel itself.

if that's the case with "the road", i'm going to be in for a real treat, since the film was so awesome.

if i were you, i'd check out the movie as soon as possible, even if you've not got around to reading the book yet. hope you like it as much as i did.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    well, i'm not quite sure, since i've not finished the book yet. however, as i've stated, i generally feel that movie adaptations of novels are not quite as good as reading the novel itself.

if that's the case with "the road", i'm going to be in for a real treat, since the film was so awesome.

if i were you, i'd check out the movie as soon as possible, even if you've not got around to reading the book yet. hope you like it as much as i did.
    It comes out in January or February here in the UK, so there's still a bit of a wait.

As for me, I read the book last year, and it was ruddy great. Whichever way round you do it - movie first, or second - you can compare one to the other. Do you want to know how the story ends when you begin reading the book, or do you want to see how well the movie adapts the book, and indeed how it might change things, and indeed how it looks in comparison to what you saw in your head when reading the book?

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, having already read the book, and I think that's the best way to do it.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Difficult one. Enough time has passed for me. Only the grimness remains in my memory. I would say don't read the book Neil.

MY HOME CINEMA

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So the COnsensus is... See it?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    so far, it seems i'm the only one who's seen it on these forums, and i heartily recommend it....so that's a 100% yes in my book, especially if you're lucky enough to have it playing in your area.

i plan on taking my dad to see it when it gets a wider release, and i may even go and enjoy it once more by myself as soon as my finals for school are over.

United States
    looks like a lot more theaters are showing this now. if you guys aren't all falling in line for the avatar craze, this is still a rocking and powerful film you need to see.

just a heads up.

Super Moderator

UK
    Us Brits get it in the beginning of January I think, and then like the week after we get that Denzel Washington movie Book of Eli or whatever, which treads similar territory - so it looks like my cinema going in January is gonna be harsh.

England
    Right i've seen this now and in a nutshell ITS A MASTERPIECE.
    Absolutely stunning piece of work. For those who are wondering about the book, don't read it. Theres no need. Its all on film here.
    The desperation.
    The world is dying in front of you on screen and you can see and hear it.
    The tenderness between the boy and the man against such a harsh enviroment is basically what the book is about and its right up there on the screen. If Viggo doesn't win an Oscar for this then he never will. He's just off the charts in terms of fatherly emotion. Even though i've read the book, i don't mind admitting that i cried 3/4 times during this. Yep. So i wouldn't recommend this as a date movie. Not 1st date anyway.
    Its brutal from beginning to end and is possibly the best post-apocalyptic movie i've ever seen. It makes Threads seem like the Teletubbies. The world is fucked and you know that straight away. I said earlier in this thread that i was a bit worried that my perception of the darkness of the world from reading the book would be hard to match but they got it spot on. Its a very very dark grey rather than black world.
    Anyway, as you can tell, i really really loved this. Best film i've seen for absolutely ages. It really got the post-apocalyptic juices flowing and virtually everybody here should see it.

Cheers

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Right i've seen this now and in a nutshell ITS A MASTERPIECE.
    Absolutely stunning piece of work. For those who are wondering about the book, don't read it. Theres no need. Its all on film here.
    i just caught it the other day and was going to rant and rave but here you've saved me the trouble.

i don't get out to the movies much anymore but this was defo worth putting up with people in public that i don't have to.

bleak and desperate is the best way to put it about this flick.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just saw it, and I'm actually, believe it or not, kinda disappointed. Keep in mind, I've read the book and the book was awesome so my expectations were huge.

Minor spoilers below!!!, gonna try to keep it spoiler free. Those of you who've read the book already know what happens so... ,

First things first. This is a good film. It's got some really nice moments. But the problem lies in, I guess, the fact that it's based on a book where not really much happens. The book is so much more about the father/son relationship than this film is and how fragile it is at times (yet beautiful). The book is filled with various segments along their journey on The Road that are memorable. Many of these are in the film, but most of them only for the blink of an eye. The result is that the film feels kinda rushed. Everything moves a bit too fast. The film doesn't ever slow down and let us warm up to the characters.

The best way to describe it, I guess, is this is a film that's 1 hour and 50 minutes long, and it feels as if the rough cut was 2h and 30 minutes and should have stayed that way. As it is, the movies doesn't really capture the grittiness and terrifying world of the book. It comes close, but not all the way.

There are also certain segments and parts about the book that I felt were some of the coolest parts/details and these did not make it into the movie... Unfortunately. Those are:

- The "BBQ" part. One of the parts I was looking forward to the most.
    - The whole bit with all the dead fish. That would've been a great visual image.
    - The whole bit with the falling ash and their mouthpieces. I thought that was a really nasty detail from the books.

I guess that's it. Really, it's a good film. But I feel that there were many lost oppertunities, given the awesome source material. So I guess that just feels kinda sad. I do not agree that this film makes Threads look like Teletubbies. I think Threads is darker. But The Road book is darker than Threads.

To sum it all up. I think you should see the movie BEFORE you read the book. I think you'll enjoy it more that way.