Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another reason why we need a Halo movie...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I think it was one of the first games where you had just two weapons to hold rather than cycling through a huge collection of 'em...it was all about choices and making sure you had the right tools for the job.
    Sorry, don't buy that Rise of the Triad is from the mid 90's and in it you could only have an extremely limited number of weapons compared to other games of that era.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    they would look even worse in a live action/cgi environment...

Just ask George Lucas.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    You mean, there's some sort of initial reason why we need a Halo movie?

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    the story to halo is shit
    Very, very true. I actually enjoyed the game play of the first two Halos immensely, while the third I am pretty unimpressed with. That said, the story is horrible. It was failed somewhat in realization and utterly failed in how it was delivered. But this is, and has always been, a common complaint regarding this franchise.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    yeah those battle portions look cool, your forgetting one crucial factor.

the story to halo is shit

take a faceless, emotionless man who could easily be replaced with a green fridge on wheels and tape a knife to its door who is pointed in a direction and told "kill the fuck out of anything that moves- CHECK

bullshit cop-out alien technology from an ancient, mysteriously vanished civilization like almost every anime from the 1980's - CHECK

generic enemy types they feel you are so stupid that they actually need to make them different sizes and bright colors for your feeble human mind to cope with - CHECK

headcrabs to shake up the game when they realize the covenant has no "final boss" to fight and the plot is actually going nowhere - CHECK

repetition - corridors, set pieces, endings, whatever they cant be arsed to create - CHECK

Halo is asinine, it treats you like an idiot and the best defense hardcore halo fanboys come up with are "-but the multiplayer" -and that isnt very good either.
    Come on, the fps genre is growing more generic by the year and halo is one of the worst offenders, seriously, left 4 dead seems brainless but zombie fandom aside its been put together in a very clever way. In many ways its the antithesis of halo, everything is shown to you and explained in a perfectly subtle way.
    Halo on the other hand is copy and pasted corridors going into copy and pasted canyons AKA corridors minus a roof, the whole series is room with a fight, corridor/ driving path- repeat for 3 games.???.profit!!!
    The battles could looks good on screen sure, im certain of that. Thing is, thats ALL that it will have going for it, i even read the bloody books in a search for some semblance of plot in this series and im telling you ITS NOT THERE.
    I could ramble on but its a simple game that should be burned and salted and forgotten, i want to give those guys behind escape from city 17 a budget for half life compared to this crap.

and with that flame on.

Halo may not be innovative per say, but the story is anything but shit. Generic? Yes, but it is well written, and you genuinely get a sense of "oh fuck, we sure are fucked right now, aren't we"?

The halo multi player is also very well done, well supported by the parent company, fun, exciting, intense. Yea, it is frustrating at times when you get beat by people who do nothing but play the game all the time, but get some buddies together, and it is probably one of the tightest, most well balanced multi player games out there right now.

Halo on the other hand is copy and pasted corridors going into copy and pasted canyons AKA corridors minus a roof, the whole series is room with a fight, corridor/ driving path- repeat for 3 games.???.profit!!!
    This could apply to any fucking game out there and you know it. Stop grasping at percieved faults in the game when a good chunk of other video games do the same god damned thing.

Seriously, people who claim "HALO IS SHIT, WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS MORE THEN THE PURE GENIUS THAT IS TEAM FORTRESS 2/HALF LIFE2/LEFT FOR DEAD/ANY OTHER WELL RECEIVED GAME? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME SO I WILL SAY THE GAME IS BULLSHIT, RAG ON IT AND FIND THINGS THAT I DISLIKE ABOUT IT AND CLAIM IT AS 100% FACT" Are just as t bad as the people that claim Halo is the best game ever made, and that it invented the fps.

I don't mean to cause trouble or anything Hells, but I hear shit like this all the time from people that simply dislike it because it is more successful then their favourite game. Just like people that hate WoW and call it shit because it has 10 million+ subscribers, and is more successful/well known then their favourite MMORPG.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Imo, i wouldn't call halo shit but it's definitely over rated.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Halo may not be innovative per say, but the story is anything but shit. Generic? Yes, but it is well written, and you genuinely get a sense of "oh fuck, we sure are fucked right now, aren't we"?

The halo multi player is also very well done, well supported by the parent company, fun, exciting, intense. Yea, it is frustrating at times when you get beat by people who do nothing but play the game all the time, but get some buddies together, and it is probably one of the tightest, most well balanced multi player games out there right now.

This could apply to any fucking game out there and you know it. Stop grasping at percieved faults in the game when a good chunk of other video games do the same god damned thing.

Seriously, people who claim "HALO IS SHIT, WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS MORE THEN THE PURE GENIUS THAT IS TEAM FORTRESS 2/HALF LIFE2/LEFT FOR DEAD/ANY OTHER WELL RECEIVED GAME? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME SO I WILL SAY THE GAME IS BULLSHIT, RAG ON IT AND FIND THINGS THAT I DISLIKE ABOUT IT AND CLAIM IT AS 100% FACT" Are just as t bad as the people that claim Halo is the best game ever made, and that it invented the fps.

I don't mean to cause trouble or anything Hells, but I hear shit like this all the time from people that simply dislike it because it is more successful then their favourite game. Just like people that hate WoW and call it shit because it has 10 million+ subscribers, and is more successful/well known then their favourite MMORPG.
    dude i really dont think it can apply to every game, one level in half life 2 is just dirving around a coastal motorway thats long been abandoned, the whole thing can take, if you explore everything up to an hour, maybe more, theres even a mansion full of enemies you never have to encounter. It feels open world, of course it isn't, but in terms of fps levels its pretty damn close. Also i'd argue its more well known than halo.
    In call of duty 2 you have to assault a nazi occupied train station, the areas huge and theres multiple ways to do it, you can snipe at enemies form pipes, take on the enemies with mortars or do jack shit and sneak into the place and use the turrets in there to defend it.
    In resistance fall of man 2 there is portions where you sneak past enemies becuase there too strong for you to fight alone, later when you have the numbers you can but now you need to hide from them, hell later take on a godzilla sized creature who fights you by throwing you across the city of chicago.

My problem with halo is valid, you have to kill everything to proceed all the time, unless there endlessly spawning and theres one single one to kill. every level feels like they started with a cube, carved out a shape, added another cube ect. it lacks the creative flair even some of bungies own later multiplayer maps had.
    -and its not that halo isnt fun to play, its just mindless shooting, with very little room for creativity or invention on players part. That said i will occasionally play the games and not walk away in disgust, because there not bad games. there just stupid games, which will make for a stupid movie, you can defend halo with all the zeal you can muster, good for you man, everyones got tastes of there own, but could you look anyone in the eye and say a movie based on these games will have a plot better than ,hell, better than transformers 2?

Because thats my argument, allow me to alter my first statement, the story isn't shit, its stupid, the battles will look cool, but are you expecting a science fiction equivalent to the lord of the rings? we have enough stupid summer blockbusters covering the screens like a vile mould already. I'm not trying to outright badmouth the games in my original post, just to justify the reasons why it doe not need to be translated to the silver screen, because its bringing nothing to the genre that hasn't been done already and unless it deviates from master chief, which you know Microsoft will not allow for there consoles selling icon, its going to be mindless battles and very little plot, which i think it COULD do, i just think microsoft will not let them deviate form the games to increase sales and forcibly include there flagship character who is the weakest point in terms of plot.

Hell its probably why its got problems already from microsoft.
    Last edited by Danny; 10-Sep-2009 at 05:10 PM.

United States
    Halo haters talk shit because it's popular. God forbid the tight controls, constant updates, community/Bungie involvement and incredible multiplayer are enough to keep you happy.

And what's with the complaints about the story? With a universe that big, with that many characters and set pieces, you could pick and choose the best parts of the Halo story and make a kickass action flick. Not every film has to be thought provoking and unique, great action scenes and cinematography can go a long way.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    With a universe that big, with that many characters and set pieces, you could pick and choose the best parts of the Halo story and make a kickass action flick
    this here is the problem i think, i agree there is plenty more of stories they could tell in the halo universe, i just do not think they will be allowed by the people with the final say to do so. I think from what ive seen they could've made odst a film and it would be a fun mindless action film, nothing more, but i dont think any halo movie will be allowed to not include master chief and his story.

capncnut
    you genuinely get a sense of "oh fuck, we sure are fucked right now, aren't we"?
    Those Flood fuckers man... seriously, when they make an appearance I'm running back the way I came shrieking, "flibolibolibfskgrsklowahhh!"

Hence why this new game is out.

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    And what's with the complaints about the story?
    I find the story quite entertaining actually.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    game = percieved as subpar by some, not by others.
    multiplayer = popular.

end of argument.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    game = percieved as subpar by some, not by others.
    multiplayer = popular.

end of argument.

Talk about just the facts !!

Those are facts but it's far from the end of the argument.

To each his own. Some feel that l4d sucks and that's their opinion no matter how ridiculous I find it. So, ya...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Talk about just the facts !!

Those are facts but it's far from the end of the argument.

To each his own. Some feel that l4d sucks and that's their opinion no matter how ridiculous I find it. So, ya...

Just trying to push home the contentiousness of the issue - as you say about l4d...at one point all you can say is "well, this is popular, this seems to garner this sort of opinion, but some people really enjoy it"....y'know...people vote with their feet I guess but my Halo is your GTA4 and vice versa

But the facts of Halo are there...multiplayer popular, singled player not so much, lots of fans of story...I dunno...it does kinda end there because by and large Halo is pretty...well....small...by comparison of what's preceeded and succeeded it....but Bungie I think made something addictive, not necessarily brilliant. Anyway I was kinda kidding with the bluntness too
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.