Thread: Stare

capncnut

Stare

No biggie but just stare for 30 seconds then reply.

United States
    Creepy as fook. Even knowing it's a movie & make up SPFX it's hard for me to look at for some reason. Gives me the willies & makes me feel unsettled. Feels like it's staring back.

Maybe it's because of all those damn videos all over the internet & I kept expecting something to pop up & scare the crap outta me.

United States
    Thanks a lot Capn for this posting now I am gonna have nightmares all night! NOOOO I am not going to stare for any amount of seconds. That movie freaked me out as a teenager,, I am not gonna let it haunt me now!
    Can you imagine if someone would dress up exactly like that for Halloween? I would shit my pants!
    You always know how to get me going don't you? lol
    She still freaks me out!!!!!

capncnut
    Amazing how an image of a 12-year-old girl in make-up from 1973 can make shit fly out of your collar.

United States
    I wonder what went on in Linda Blairs mind when she saw herself in the mirror and on film? If it were me it would freak my mind out...just think she was a little girl, makes you think doesnt it?
    I mean to see yourself like that....I am thinking back in the 70's...that movie was ground breaking at the time. Baack then that movie was awesome scary!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's still pretty creepy, but I think i've become a bit numb to it after seeing it for so many years....

Undisclosed
    Still one of the greatest horror movies of all time!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I found The Exorcist about as scary as watching grass grow. The music was cool though, and the makeup effects were well done, but no more frightening than Big Daddy. :P

The Ninth Configuration - considered by the director and writer to be the "true" sequel/follow up to The Exorcist (in Survival of the Dead style, it follows the minor character of the astronaut some years after his encounter with the possessed little girl), is a far more thought provoking and interesting film. I highly recommend it!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The Ninth Configuration - considered by the director and writer to be the "true" sequel/follow up to The Exorcist (in Survival of the Dead style, it follows the minor character of the astronaut some years after his encounter with the possessed little girl), is a far more thought provoking and interesting film. I highly recommend it!
    Great film but I also loved the book Legion.

Undisclosed
    I thought technically exorcist III was the sequel...If you consider Legion being the sequel to the book. I have not seen ninth configuration, but learning that the movie was based on a true story scared the shite out of me.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I thought technically exorcist III was the sequel...If you consider Legion being the sequel to the book. I have not seen ninth configuration, but learning that the movie was based on a true story scared the shite out of me.
    You remember in The Exorcist when Reagan says to the astronaut "You're going to die up there!"? Well, he didn't actually die but instead he totally lost his mind. The Ninth Configuration, in one of its main plot threads, tells the story of his resulting journey into insanity and his desperate search for divinity and meaning in the universe. Although the events of The Exorcist are never directly mentioned and only vaguely alluded to, his motives make a lot more sense when you consider that as his back story.

Whereas The Exorcist was a book/movie about the power of evil, The Ninth Configuration was a book/movie about the power of hope and goodness. It's like the Yin to The Exorcist's Yang.

So yeah, The Exorcist III is a true sequel in the sense of carrying on the plot, whereas The Ninth Configuration is more of a thematic sequel with only a thin thread of plot tying it to its predecessor - a "spiritual sequel", if you like. I guess the three of the films (four, if you include the second one, as many wouldn't) all inhabit the same fictional universe, though.

Just to clarify, also. I'm sorry if I came across as a bit of an asshole in my last post, when I said about The Exorcist not being scary. I DO think it's a good film, just not as scary as other people seem to find it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Just to clarify, also. I'm sorry if I came across as a bit of an asshole in my last post, when I said about The Exorcist not being scary. I DO think it's a good film, just not as scary as other people seem to find it.
    We had a good discussion a while back about that. I think in some way it was one of those "you had to be there" type of things. It seems like there are certain movies that just tap into a vibe in the public consciousness at the time they're released, that years afterward just don't affect people quite the same way for whatever reason.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Ooh, well creepy! Reminds me of that Rock It video we did back around 2005. Think I'll go to the cinema and watch it. - 2D

ViP

United States
    Savage Streets. Watch it now.