Thread: Nanny Group Protests Dante's Inferno

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Nanny Group Protests Dante's Inferno

This is exactly the same crap that went on with the the Autralian Ban thread. there's always going to be a group offended by soemthing and if all of them are to be apeased them no films or games would ever get made.

Say a film or game contains a rape scene or depicting other violent acts against a woman or women. Should that film or game not get made?

Should freedom of speech/expression be sacrificed in order to not offend certain groups?

It's up for debate. Discuss.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...s-Inferno.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Thank god...I thought this topic was about someone trying to ban the Alighieri's Divine Comedy!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Canada
    Clearly we must just liquidate all old women.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    people are gonna buy this game more because of christians protesting about its content.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    they think hell is depicted in a poor light?

huh.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    i hear you see giant penises and vaginas in the 'lust' part of the game. i look forward to the day when videogames are seen as a medium in the same light as film. some games are made for adults and some are not. people need to get this through their heads before bitching aout videogame content.

Undisclosed
    "EA has used fake controversy to hype this title in the past, hiring actors to pretend to be offended Christians outside of E3. So I'm taking this with a grain of salt. How would a Nanny association have even heard of this?"

Just as there is something to be said about people that are so easily offended by video game content, there is also something to be said about people who obsess over what is written in a simple press release.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    i would'nt know myself, i didn't read the press release.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Erm...

I don't wanna kill babies in a game to be honest. Its a bit wrong, don't you think? This is why there are no kids in GTA games...I've never tried killing the kids in Fallout3, I dunno it just makes me uncomfortable.

It brings nothing to the world of gaming, just killing a smaller "enemy"...but its a kid, there's just no need for it...the Sisters in Bioshock weren't really kids as much as mutated ones and their deaths were pretty tame and in relation to the context of the story...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Erm...

I don't wanna kill babies in a game to be honest. Its a bit wrong, don't you think? This is why there are no kids in GTA games...I've never tried killing the kids in Fallout3, I dunno it just makes me uncomfortable.

It brings nothing to the world of gaming, just killing a smaller "enemy"...but its a kid, there's just no need for it...the Sisters in Bioshock weren't really kids as much as mutated ones and their deaths were pretty tame and in relation to the context of the story...
    i think the day you can kill or do anything to anything in games is when you have the real "morality choices" rather than this current no shades of grey crap.

and yes, i saved the little sisters.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    You can kill children in the Deus Ex series. Killed one in The Invisible War a while ago and yeah, it did feel a tad weird.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    You can kill children in the Deus Ex series. Killed one in The Invisible War a while ago and yeah, it did feel a tad weird.
    see, i think thats actually a powerful thing, people like jack "no really, im THIS crazy" Thompson call games murder simulators and say stuff like killing humans, which are more often than not "terrorist" stereotypes or guys in masks to obscure the fact there the same as you with families and stuff, makes you violent. show them what happens if you can kill kids.

or a puppy.

I cant remember what game, but theres an fps out there with npc sort of friendlies and i accidentally killed a dog form a slip of a finger on a button, then a kid ran up to it crying, like the "mr. bubbles...." bit but way sadder. that makes you feel bad. i guess this sort of stuff is more shocking but also could prove to be a antithetic effect in relation to normal world at war style shooters in terms of the violent games to violent gamers ratio.

I mean just because i could kill kids in a game doesn't mean i would, and not for an achievement or anything, but for plain old corny as fook "because its the right thing to do" mentality.

even if it is just 1's and 0's.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Thank god...I thought this topic was about someone trying to ban the Alighieri's Divine Comedy!
    me too. but alas, it is the same old song and dance that's been going on since video games rose above the level of pong.

i'll reiterate what i said in a previous video game thread:

i'm not for banning any video game regardless of its content. adults have the right to view, hear, read, and play what they want. however, i am very much in favor of age ratings on video games. i'm coming at this from the parent's angle. i want to know what my kid is looking at and playing, because some of these games, in my view at least, are strictly for the 17 and over crowd.

that's all i want. a simple, clear age rating system that allows parents to know what the game contains. there is the T for teen, etc. ratings that are out there now but i don't think those give enough info about game content.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    game ratings I defo agree with...r@pe and kid killing, not so much!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    i hear you see giant penises and vaginas in the 'lust' part of the game. i look forward to the day when videogames are seen as a medium in the same light as film. some games are made for adults and some are not. people need to get this through their heads before bitching aout videogame content.

I wholeheartedly agree. Rape of children is a little much but imo, the point is not that they are killing babies, the point is that it makes a group of people uncomfortable enough to protest it in the hopes of censoring it's content. And that is what is wrong with this no matter how uncomfortable it makes someone.

Where does it end? How about this, from now on any game killing hispanics I'm going to organize protests and boycotts against it because it offends the sensibilities of people like me. How would that go over? Why is it that their outrage is greater or better than my outrage? Or any game that has the murder of African Americans in it by whites? See what I mean? All these instances are sure to offend some demographic out there. Should we ban them all?

This is a slippery slope. Be careful of what rationale you use because the same logic could be used against you at a time where it's not so convienient for you.

By the way, good last post octo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"