Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Un-Official Left 4 Dead/ Left for dead 2 (Help-Tip's) Thread

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Un-Official Left 4 Dead/ Left for dead 2 (Help-Tip's) Thread

So with the demo for 2 coming out i figure we could make a sticky thread for left 4 dead with hints and tips for both games, god knows where gonna get a lot of threads in the next few weeks

So heres a few things i can offer for versus as the infected from my recent playthroughs.

Smoker: a basic thing to do is aim for disorientation rather than damage, if a teammate like a boomer or tank is coming from the front of the survivors, get behind them and pull them first to turn them around. your weak but a good perch can get 3 or 4 pulls off, if they break your tongue, hide. Wait if you can till the survivors have been puked on.
    1.you can grab people when they are hanging off a ledge, or whilst they are jumping in the air or knocked through it, takes great timing but damn funny.

Boomer: The king infect for versus, will probably work well with the jockey and spitter. my favorite class with a fair few tricks.
    1. there is a spot during the third level of blood harvest where the survivors head through the little wooded hillside around and up a hill and into a building leading to the traintracks. bee line for that place, phase through the door, when you can, spawn in the corner the door opens against, your on the right, there running to the left, because theres only an empty shelf on the right you can easily barf on all 4 at once.
    2. if there near run through fire at 'em, then your a time bomb regardless of shoving or not.
    3. three melee hits and your dead, get your infected friends to hit you a couple of times before you take on the survivors
    4. get high, take them on on higher ground, barf when there in your camp zone, then back off and let your barf reload, its more effective than suicide jumps and ive gotten 8 barfs out of one boomer a few times.
    5. if the survivors are in a cleared out section or near the end of a crescendo moment, DONT RAPLH, the barf summons the nearby z's as well as spawning some from each set spawn point, this is based on survivors, number of em puked and difficulty, cleared out areas are a c-c-c-combo breaker!

Hunter: remember this "you are a distraction, or a combo finisher, nothing more", you pounce alone you last about 1 second. wait to get one alone, distract them from the smoker or boomer or aid in already knocked down enemies or during barf crescendo moments.
    1.Crouch in front of the witch, they kill you sure, but the bullets pass right through you into- OH SHI-
    2. use your jump to propel you to normally unreachable heights, theres plenty of high buildings without drain pipes, in no mercy i played across a whole level without touching the floor.
    3. When you leap you scream, in combat thats pretty much why you last a second, but it makes them spooked. try leaping in the distance, just a foot in front, never at them, they hear a scream and tense up and get jumpy, you dont need to attack them as the hunter to contribute to your team winning.

Tank: Avoid fire, know where and when your players will attack, your the focus right now go to town, distract the survivors from any other threat, sometimes you dont need to knock a guy down, just hit them and leave them to the boomer thats snuck up on them.
    1. one hit to a boomer makes it blow up, your stunned but it can slime all 4 survivors as there too busy shooting you.
    2. use terrain, you can climb, you can smack vehicles as well as throw them, ive been a survivor on easy and had a tank leap on the crash course bridge and floor the 4 of us with one car in that small walkway....

So there's some off the top of my head infected tactics, im sure everyones got some survivors ones so heres just a few i can think of.

-dont throw molotovs at the zombies, use them as temporary blockades. down an alley as a bum rush occurs?, block one alley exit with a wall of flame so youve only got one to focus your fire on.
    -dont be afraid to use a pipe bomb just to clear an area, zombies constantly spawn so its just to clear a path.
    -dont camp, you camp and the director feels you need a "push", think your safe?, then odds are valve put a air duct or breakable wall there to keep it hectic.
    -dont tape down the trigger, especially with the machine gun, blast. stop. blast. stop. and reload before you empty your clip to reload faster.
    get a position during rushes and stick to it. watch all the angles you can, on versus zombies are a hinderance, if theres a rush, theres a hunter around a corner, or just out of view. - however the charger is designed to break this up, so take root on multiple levels if you can.

Thats it for me right now, go nuts.
    Last edited by Danny; 25-Oct-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Just thought i'd add somethign strange that happened to me yesterday. I did the first few levels of the Dead Air campaign and with two friends of mine and got to the beginning of the finale, while in the safehouse we all took a break and went for cigarettes, when we came back the game had been ended because we were all idle and wasting up server space. Anyway we restarted the campaign on the Finale and when we beat it i got the achievements for beating a campaign without being healed and for not being incapacitated, i also got the achievement for not startling the witch.

Now i am pretty sure that i did qualify for all of the above achievements, just thought it was noteworthy that they unlocked even though we restarted the campaign on the finale. i should also note that the two guys i was playing with did not unlock them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    theres a little trailer up for the baseball bat preorder, god knows if that area is in the game, be neat if its a secret dlc though

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How do we actually get the baseball bat though? i haven't heard anything on how that's going to work.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I believe the baseball bat comes on a card like the demo, but you don't get it until you pick up the game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    I believe the baseball bat comes on a card like the demo, but you don't get it until you pick up the game.

Fair enough.

But as we have learned with the demo card, even if you have to wait it's nice to know how it's going to be distributed. If not we have a whole bunch of rumors and speculation and eveyone is just confused.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    well, i've just played the demo two times over and im unsure what to make of it. heres some points good and bad.

1. The charger is a fucking pussy, he will run past you, and melee weapons one hit kill specials if you hit them in the back.
    2. barely saw the spitter, fizzes like the boomer explodes on death, sometimes a massive puddle, sometimes a green speck.
    3. The jockey is slow, and giggles constantly, good luck playing him in versus.
    4. the hunter deals way more damage, on easy he got me from fully health to "one knock down and your dead" in 8 seconds!
    5. no tank. or wandering witch.
    6. zombies "float" run across some surfaces.
    7. boomer bile canisters seem pointless compared to pipe bombs, they still draw z's after its worn out and they go for you instead.
    8. unnecessary added crap like adrenaline and defibrillators, makes expert easier sure, but loses some of the fun when you need to micro manage who has what.
    9. saw uncommon common armored guys but no hazmat ones like the videos online for the last few months.
    10. zombies "pull"in an aggro train much further and spawn faster and in larger groups.
    11. slightly faster loading times.
    12. pistol a one hit kill.
    13. limb detection based damage present in crash course but not here?
    14. memorable, if bland level designs.
    15. characters had no lines other than the automatic "hunter!", no "i hate birds" "yeah, birds are dicks" "....zoey, your allright"
    16. explains why there at the start point without needing you to watch a cutscene.
    17. far too many "cosmetic" weapons, like a rifle thats basically just a long range shotgun.
    18. new smoker models.
    19. frying pan is an epic smash master, and doesn't tire you no where near as much melee shoving.
    20. annoying "ping" noise for every little "reload" message.
    21. plenty of models reused from left for dead, apparently p.a and Louisiana have the same tastes and styles in everything but set pieces.
    22. didnt find any fire ammo.
    23. at some points, like the park there where too little zombies for the space, then by the entrance to the crescendo moment there was a few hundred in that little area!
    24. Nice music, not as catchy as the original, but the southern flavour's a rarity in fps games.
    25. small niggle, but the wall messages weren't as snappy as previous ones like the infamous "shut up, cool story bro, i miss the internet" bit

My best guess?, this is a demo made before crash course that the media tried ages ago, which means most of this stuff, if not all, will be fixed on the final version. i mean valve just doesnt make bad games in my experience.

Still this just wasnt as fun as the original left for dead, hell the original demo for no mercy was hectic, long and a reet good laugh. this was like a little 15 minute tour of a well made fan mod.
    still thats only 2 of the 25+ areas in the final thing so again, im just going to wait and see.

United States
    Just played a game on Expert with Cooper, loving it so far. Be back for more games in a while!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So i guess entering your code at this time DOESN'T ruin it?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    First tip and easter egg!

as displayed by Brad from 4playerpodcast in his usual hooting fashion, the jukebox in the bar on the first level of the parish by the end plays songs, one of which is Jonathan Coulton's "RE: Your Brains" from his epic thing a week project. Not only is it a funny tune about an officer worker, now zombified, applying for the chance to devour his colleagues brains, but apparently summons a horde as well.

-oh, and if you think you've heard the name before this is the guy who did the song "still alive" for portal.

Canada
    I'm starting to play l4d again, and came to a stark, and very bleak epiphany- I have a lot to relearn. Tried Expert on Crash Course last night, and kept dieing right after the Howitzer part. I guess it is my fault being an anti social sweeb, as I tried with AI partners- yea, don't do that.

Vs mode is still pretty fun, so long as your team actually talks. Out of 10 games of vs the other night, only 2 teams actually conversed. It was odd, as everyone had mikes, and needless to say, we lost pretty bad. Oh well, Got a few epic smoker/hunter attacks in. Grabbing survivors mid air with a smoker feels so rewarding.

Oh and Darth, if you're wondering who UnjustCorgi is, that is me, as I just added you without sending a message.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Oh and Darth, if you're wondering who UnjustCorgi is, that is me, as I just added you without sending a message.
    oh, i wondered who the frigg you were on ym friends list the other day

Canada
    lol, I've been meaning to send people messages, seeing as how I have a stupid ass xbox live name (random name gen ftw) telling them who I actually am. I'm pretty bad with that though, as I usually add people to friends list, and never end up playing any games with them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Okay so something ive noticed.

Ive played through a fair few times, but only on expert does it alter the map. i was gettign used to it, like how in no mercy your like "okay, so its left right left-GO!" i did that here, turned right and instead of an alley found a brick wall.

Which is neat and terrifying at the same time

-also, i ran into EVERY special infected at once.

imagine that if youve played it.

EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.

ON.EXPERT.

the tank throws shit, the smoker grabs, the hunter leaps, the charger pummels, the jockey grabs and pulls-into a witch!, the spitter covers all this in acid, which makes the boomer explode over everyone.

not sure if its epic fail or epic win, but that was epic as shit.
    Last edited by Danny; 31-Oct-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Okay so something ive noticed.

Ive played through a fair few times, but only on expert does it alter the map. i was gettign used to it, like how in no mercy your like "okay, so its left right left-GO!" i did that here, turned right and instead of an alley found a brick wall.

Which is neat and terrifying at the same time

-also, i ran into EVERY special infected at once.

imagine that if youve played it.

EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.

ON.EXPERT.

the tank throws shit, the smoker grabs, the hunter leaps, the charger pummels, the jockey grabs and pulls-into a witch!, the spitter covers all this in acid, which makes the boomer explode over everyone.

not sure if its epic fail or epic win, but that was epic as shit.
    Yeah, the A.I. director takes it one step further in this game. Where as in the original it made the game harder/easier for you as you went, the sequel makes weather conditions and routes change as well.

COOLEST

SHIT

EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Hotly shit man!! The whole time I'm like who the fuck is this asshole. But now that I realize the asshole is you i feel muchh better.

(I'm totally kidding by the way. )

But I'm on almost every night. Send me an invite if your on and we'll kick some ass.